avoiding state duals

bdad3

I am not trying to point fingers, but it seems there are some teams that think it is better to avoid state duals for some of the following reasons:

1) it's better for you at state if other wrestlers have not seen you before. Some of the top competition might be at state duals and they will learn something about you they might be able to use against you at state.

2) you might get hurt or beat up and weaken your chances at ind. regionals and state. Its better to use this time to heal any lingering injuries so you are as healthy as possible before ind. regionals and state.

3) the important measure of a team is how they place in the ind. state meet, not whether they win state duals.

A counter arguement is: Many teams have no meets during the two weeks before regionals. Two weeks is a long time to go without competition. The team that goes to state duals stays sharp and therefore has an advantage over the others.

Also, by facing some of your best competition at state duals, you can learn something about them that might help you in a future match at state.

There also is the obvious honor of representing your region and the possibility of winning a state team title. State duals is the ultimate test of the team.

How you feel about this may depend on whether you view wrestling more as a team sport or an individual sport.

I thought a few of you might want to express an opinion.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to point fingers,  but it seems there are some teams that think it is better to avoid state duals for some of the following reasons:

1) it's better for you at state if other wrestlers have not seen you before.  Some of the top competition might be at state duals and they will learn something about you they might be able to use against you at state.

2) you might get hurt or beat up and weaken your chances at ind. regionals and state.  Its better to use this time to heal any lingering injuries so you are as healthy as possible before ind. regionals and state.

3) the important measure of a team is how they place in the ind. state meet, not whether they win state duals.

A counter arguement is:  Many teams have no meets during the two weeks before regionals.  Two weeks is a long time to go without competition.  The team that goes to state duals stays sharp and therefore has an advantage over the others.

Also, by facing some of your best competition at state duals, you can learn something about them that might help you in a future match at state.

There also is the obvious honor of representing your region and the possibility of winning a state team title.  State duals is the ultimate test of the team.

How you feel about this may depend on whether you view wrestling more as a team sport or an individual sport.

825544119[/snapback]

You bring up some vary good points. My thought is, if Whoever,dose not want to partisapate. Should be able to bow out, and let another team go in there place. Then you would'nt be insulting the other teams, by not putting your best team out on the mat. This is suppose to make all the teams stronger, When you don't put your best out there, your watering down the compition, and that's not good for anyone. thumb Edited by Dobber

I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind who would pass on a chance to wrestle at a State Duals match! I'm thinking if that person was a great and/or wonderful as he thinks he is then the college coaches would have been all over his butt by now. As a coach, it would be either that you wrestle duals or you don't wrestle at all. Even though this is also an individual sport, at this time, it is a team sport!

You bring up some vary good points. My thought is, if Whoever,dose not want to partisapate. Should be able to bow out, and let another team go in there place. Then you would'nt be insulting the other teams, by not putting your best team out on the mat. This is suppose to make all the teams stronger, When you don't put your best out there, your watering down the compition, and that's not good for anyone. thumb

825544242[/snapback]

I agree with you Dobber. There should be a clause for letting another team go in your place because of sickness, injuries or whatever.

Shame on any team passing up a chance to compete for the state duals in order to improve its chances for success at the individual state championships.

High School Wrestling is about both individual and team competition. The dynamics of the two are very different, yet both are cornerstones of wrestling's greatness.

Talk to the boys and most will tell you that the experience of being part of the team was equally valued with winning individual matches. Realistically, most of the guys do not qualify individually or as a team for state competition. Yet, they truly cherish their time on the wrestling team.

I think high school wrestling would lose an integral part of its character if competition were limited to individual results only. I have seen wrestlers demonstrate uncharacteristic ability, endurance and attitude when their team is "in the zone" during a dual match.

Shame on any team passing up a chance to compete for the state duals in order to improve its chances for success at the individual state championships.

High School Wrestling is about both individual and team competition. The dynamics of the two are very different, yet both are cornerstones  of wrestling's greatness.

Talk to the boys and most will tell you that the experience of being part of the team was equally valued with winning individual matches.  Realistically, most of the guys do not qualify individually or as a team for state competition. Yet, they truly cherish their time on the wrestling team.

I think high school wrestling would lose an integral part of its character if competition were limited to individual results only.  I have seen wrestlers demonstrate uncharacteristic ability, endurance and attitude when their team is "in the zone" during a dual match.

825544890[/snapback]

Aspen I think your in the Zone on CoachT. So who's your team?

Edited by rigger101

I think any team that passes up the state duals should end their season at that point. It is not fair to the wrestlers for a coach to make them sit at home during the duals tournament. College coaches do show up during state tournaments to see the college prospects wrestle. A team staying at home during such events can not be good for the sport. The argument that teams can use this period to "heal" before the individual tournament also is not really fair to the teams that do participate in the duals tournament. These teams do not get a "healing" period before the individual tournament.

Of course this is just my opnion, for what it is worth. I would like to know what the TSSAA has to say about teams not participating in the Duals.... :lol:

I think any team that passes up the state duals should end their season at that point. It is not fair to the wrestlers for a coach to make them sit at home during the duals tournament. College coaches do show up during state tournaments to see the college prospects wrestle. A team staying at home during such events can not be good for the sport. The argument that teams can use this period to "heal" before the individual tournament also is not really fair to the teams that do participate in the duals tournament. These teams do not get a "healing" period before the individual tournament.

Of course this is just my opnion, for what it is worth. I would like to know what the TSSAA has to say about teams not participating in the Duals.... :lol:

825545039[/snapback]

Please, The TSSAA saying anything would be a joke and a miracle. How would you prove a team didn't try to win?

I am not trying to point fingers,  but it seems there are some teams that think it is better to avoid state duals for some of the following reasons:

1) it's better for you at state if other wrestlers have not seen you before.  Some of the top competition might be at state duals and they will learn something about you they might be able to use against you at state.

2) you might get hurt or beat up and weaken your chances at ind. regionals and state.  Its better to use this time to heal any lingering injuries so you are as healthy as possible before ind. regionals and state.

A counter arguement is:  Many teams have no meets during the two weeks before regionals.  Two weeks is a long time to go without competition.  The team that goes to state duals stays sharp and therefore has an advantage over the others.

There also is the obvious honor of representing your region and the possibility of winning a state team title.  State duals is the ultimate test of the team.

825544119[/snapback]

Go ahead and point the finger!

Your not scared are yah?

R U afraid that they will hunt you down?

If your going to throw it on the board, have a pair!