Nice Article....on a wonderful kid

RMC

Collins Hill wrestler and honor student sets sights on fourth AAAAA title

By CURTIS BUNN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/31/05

An athletic but small kid, Tyler Parker struggled to find a sport where he could compete and not feel physically overmatched. Finally in the eighth grade, at the behest of his father, he tried out for wrestling.

During that first practice, Parker threw up. It was not exactly a graceful start to a new-found career, but regurgitating the story does add to the lore of Parker's history-making run at Collins Hill.

With another triumph in the Feb. 11-13 individual championships, Parker will become the first wrestler in Georgia to win four Class AAAAA titles.

"It's pretty special what he's doing," Collins Hill coach Cliff Ramos said. "And when you consider how late he started wrestling — one year before high school — it's pretty remarkable."

It is somewhat remarkable, too, that Parker, a 135-pounder, has accomplished so much with so little fanfare. That matters to everyone but Parker, whose career record is an astonishing 189-11.

"I don't really need the attention," he said. "I wrestle because I love the sport. I'd rather just do what I do and go on."

There was a time Parker thought his outside activities would be confined to academic endeavors. Skilled in other sports, the just over 100 pounds he carried at 13 years old put him at a physical disadvantage.

But Allen Parker, a fine wrestler in his day at Chambleee High, had always preached of the virtues of wrestling.

"I was a small guy, a little wimpy kid," Tyler Parker said. "My dad finally talked me into it. I threw up the first practice, but I loved it.

"I like the competitiveness, but also I liked that if you worked hard at it, you could be good no matter how big you were."

From then to now, he has established himself as one of Georgia's premier student-athletes. He won the AAAAA title as a freshman in the 103-pound division, took it as a sophomore at 119 pounds and 130 pounds as a junior.

At 5-feet-8, Parker, 17, is not particularly strong or extraordinarily quick. But his floor game (thinking, pacing himself, knowing how and when to attack) and fundamental excellence (mastering moves and takedowns) are unmatched.

And his discipline is unflinching. He's a 4.0 student taking mostly Advanced Placement classes, and was highly disappointed when he received a B in Language Arts as a sophomore — his only non-A in his career.

Clearly, school is a breeze, but watching his weight is another matter. "I struggle the most with the diet," he said.

Last Thursday, for instance, with the weigh-in for a tournament on Saturday so close, Parker had a particularly thin menu: a Power bar for breakfast, banana and half a sub sandwich for lunch and water and another Power Bar for dinner. Yummy. Then he worked out for a second time before going to bed.

"It's hard, but you can't let it break you down," Parker said.

He said he learned such work ethic and dedication from teammates. "On a team like Collins Hill, with the seniors we had my first year and the coach we have, you couldn't help but work hard," Parker said. "And if you have a passion for it as I do, you do it with all your heart."

Said Ramos: "It's hard to find a harder worker than Tyler. He's not flashy at all. He's workmanlike. Tyler doesn't need much in the way of teaching. He just needs to be pushed."

And that element is handled by two parties: himself and his family. Before every match, no matter the opponent, Parker carries himself through anxieties that prevent a letdown.

"He goes into matches like he's worried," Ramos said. "He takes every match seriously."

"I do that to myself, probably too much," Parker said. "I psyche myself out. But it's good, though, because I don't take anyone lightly. And in wrestling, the mental part of it is as big as the physical."

It also has helped Parker significantly that his family supports him with vigor. Allen Parker said of his upbringing: "I didn't have the discipline or a dad around to set me straight. He was never around or cared. No one came to watch me when I wrestled.

"So, my wife and I have made it a point to every match or academic event for all our kids."

The Parkers could take a family portrait at one of Tyler's matches. There are his brothers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins on hand. And his girlfriend of two years, Whitney Dickson.

Everyone was present last week for Senior Night. In fact, Ramos allowed Allen Parker to work his son's corner for his last match at Collins Hill.

"Senior Night was weird," Parker said. "I hadn't thought too much about it until I got into my match. Then I looked over and my dad was in my corner. That was cool. I kind of didn't want the match to end."

When it was over, Parker had won, 16-0.

"It was a little emotional, especially for my wife," Allen Parker said. "It made us reflect on his time there. It was a celebration, but it was hard to let go, even though we know the next phase should be great."

The next phase takes place at Stanford, where he earned a full wrestling scholarship.

"Through wrestling, I've learned to be humble and patient," Parker said. "I found a sport I love. And it's paid off."

Finally in the eighth grade, at the behest of his father, he tried out for wrestling.

During that first practice, Parker threw up.

career record is an astonishing 189-11.

And his discipline is unflinching. He's a 4.0 student taking mostly Advanced Placement classes

825544790[/snapback]

Amazing kid!!

"Said Ramos: "It's hard to find a harder worker than Tyler. He's not flashy at all. .."

Obviously Stanford saw a flicker, if not something flashing, on the radar screen. RMC, I understand he may be the first 4x state champ in GA 5-A?

soms

Sommers.....yes, he could the first.

If you guys could be around him he is the kind of kid everyone wants in their wrestling room. Of his 11 losses only 1 has come since his sophmore year.

He was also a Georgia Finalist for the Wendy's Heisman.

I'm really going to miss this one.

Sommers.....yes, he could the first. 

If you guys could be around him he is the kind of kid everyone wants in their wrestling room.  Of his 11 losses only 1 has come since his sophmore year.

He was also a Georgia Finalist for the Wendy's Heisman.

I'm really going to miss this one.

825544865[/snapback]

It's not remarkable! We all know it's in the water at Collins Hill.

It has nothing to do with coaching or parents support! :unsure:

All kidding aside! Great article and great program.

Good Luck on the run for his 4th.

Edited by rigger101