TN Wrestling Trivia

coachmasters

He was the ultimate tournament wrestler. He'd goof around during the regular season, lose a few matches, and put on his game face at tournament time. Comparing athleste decades apart is difficult. Wrestling has changed and so have the athletes.

825561735[/snapback]

If my memory is correct, Marty did not win the Chattanooga Region the year he won his fourth State, but he sure came through in front of a standing room only State Tournament crowd at Hillwood High. Luke Worsham watched the match standing on a chair to see over the crowd standing in one corner of the gym.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll revise my earlier statement: there has NEVER been a four time state champ in TN when all Tennessee High Schools come together for a state tournament.

825561569[/snapback]

But there was only one four-time TSSAA State Champion before the split into D1 and D2. That wrestler was Marty Francis. When folks are referencing Marty Francis' feat, and they say or write "state champion", the TSSAA Tourney is understood. The absence of certain schools in the organization during a part of the time he was establishing his singular claim has nothing whatsoever to do with the validity or the magnitude of the claim.

By the way, just out of curiosity, didn't the Mid-South include post high schoolers?

Was it a Hixon kid? 

825557013[/snapback]

Re: Bogitsh's opponent in the '73 semis.

BKPres, Good memory! Yes. The opponent wrestled for Hixson. Now what is his name?

KKW: Sorry, the poor wording of my encouragement of your guess sent your next guess in a logical but mistaken direction. Rather than father/son, think sibling.

Has TN had any 4x undefeated champs?  How many states have these?

P.S.--I don't know the answers.  Just something to think about.  Happy pondering!

825557057[/snapback]

I believe Cary Kolat went undefeated 4 years in Pa. His career ended in the early to mid 90s. I believe only three opponents lasted the whole match with him during those 4 years. No wonder he was on the Olympic team.

Re:  Bogitsh's opponent in the '73 semis.

BKPres, Good memory!  Yes.  The opponent wrestled for Hixson.  Now what is his name?

KKW:  Sorry, the poor wording of my encouragement of your guess sent your next guess in a logical but mistaken direction.  Rather than father/son, think sibling.

825562200[/snapback]

marvin walden.

But there was only one four-time TSSAA State Champion before the split into D1 and D2.  That wrestler was Marty Francis.  When folks are referencing Marty Francis' feat, and they say or write "state champion", the TSSAA Tourney is understood.  The absence of certain schools in the organization during a part of the time he was establishing his singular claim has nothing whatsoever to do with the validity or the magnitude of the claim.

By the way, just out of curiosity, didn't the Mid-South include post high schoolers?

825561898[/snapback]

I don't recall any PG's on McCallie or Baylor teams. You'd have to ask Deaddux.

How in the world can FHS recognize Bond Davis as a state Champion if the TSSAA doesn't?  THEY CAN'T!!!!!!  They have no right to do this as they are not the governing body of Tennessee high school wrestling.  Only the TSSAA can change it and they won't.  My question is why were you in position to make the match depend on a referee's mistake anyway?  one or two more takedowns and you are a state champ with no dispute.  Blame ourself, not anyone else, and this goes for anyone who tries to blame a ref for a match going one way or another.  i have to tell myself the same thing quite often.  It wouldnt matter if you didnt put yourself in a position for the referee to cost you the match!

825564790[/snapback]

So what happens when two athletes are evenly matched? At some point a referee has to take responsibility for a mistake. No, Franklin has no right to recognize him as a State Champion. No, the TSSAA will not change the outcome. How many matches in the State Finals are won by one point or two? How many in overtime or double OT? Eventually a couple matches will be in the hands of an official.