Station Camp vs David Lipscomb

UFGators39052

The only thing I have to say was that it was a great game but the call on Jones was ridiculous. Jones isnt the one to complain about calls and he always puts his hand up to signify hes the one that fouled. I talked to him about it and he said hes absolutely sure that he didn't touch the player and the frustration was at himself for picking up his 4th not at the ref. He has to learn to control that to help his team and hisself stay under control. Overall good game by both teams but i think if Jones couldve stayed in the game it wouldve been a different outcome.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Station Camp plays with alot of emotion, to their positive and their negative. They don't know when to turn it on and off. Jones may have been mad at himself, but I spoke with the ref's after the game and they said they had warned him several times not to react to their calls to show them up. Latter in the game another player did the same thing. With two seconds to go, it didn't matter, but still "Control".

The parents for SC were lucky to have stayed in the gym. They rode the refs like horses from the beginning of the girls game (40 point blowout, like it mattered what the refs called). I have seen alot of HS games and the way the SC parents act is nothing to be proud of. SC is a nice school and should be building their reputation, not tearing it down. SC's assistant coach apologized after the game for the players and parents behavior. That should say something.

This was a must win for DL if they hope to stay in second place, with games coming up against MLK, GB and Springfield.

Congrats Mustangs! Keep going.

I agree about the SC fans. For some reason they come into the gym and the football field with a chip on their shoulders. As a new school, this is not the way to build a good reputation. This trickles down to there players and they usually get unsportmanlike penalties in games, or at least they do when they play DL in FB and BB.

Less than 5 months until FIREWORK$!

Perhaps it is in the creek water up there or something. Or perhaps they are just too new of a school to have learned some of the unwritten rules that have been handed down from previous generations of parents at older programs like DLHS. The SC girls soccer parents behaved the same way the last couple of years. There is a time and place for getting on the refs. If you start at tipoff and never let up, whine and complain about every call, then all you have done is tic off three refs, and usually that comes back to bite you at an inopportune time. I have learned that if you let a ref know that he made a bad call, when in fact he made a bad call and he knows it and now he knows that you know it, you will often be rewarded shortly thereafter with a make-up.

I am a Station Camp fan and i absolutely agree with all of you about our parents. They are crazy and the sad thing is that most of the people who do the most complaining are parents of the cheerleaders. I think that it is insane to yell about a call in a girls basketball game when you are down by 40 to a team you knew you coulnt beat anyway. However, i felt that the guys game wasnt too out of hand. It is crazy for a ref to give a technical to josh jones for an "unsportsmanlike reaction," especially when all he did was say the word "no." I think the parents may have complained a little too much but the refs were bad. Great game by DL to not lose composure and come out hot after halftime. Good Luck the rest of the season guys.

Yea, at first, I was a little surprised that Jones had a technical called on him. But then, as I began to think about it more, the SC players had been complaining the entire game. Yea it MIGHT have been different if Jones had stayed in the game, but then again it would have been different if the players had been complaining the entire game up to that point. I'm sure if the players had held the composure up to that technical foul, then it wouldn't have been a technical foul.

Also, the Mustangs did a great job of keeping their emotions in check. If you didn't notice, when a Mustang player would have a foul called on him, he would immediately hand the ball to the referee or walk away. Even if it was the worst call, they kept their mouths shut, handed the ball to the ref, and walked away. THAT is Mustang basketball at its finest. Great job and a good luck at MLK.

Alright GoBama I just wanted to make sure you werent making Jones out to be some Ron Artest basketball player because hes not. Ask your brother...Jones has a lot of respect for him and I believe your brother has the same amount for him. Jones is known as a coachable player and a team guy that doesn't showboat nor is he known for get T-d up. Your post earlier made it seem as if he was out of control but I think we both agree that HE himself wasnt deserving of a technical foul. The complaining of the fans mightve had something to do with it but what he did was definitely not at the level for a T. Do you agree?

Ragland and Gator...you are both right. Jones is a heck of a player and did not deserve the the T, when viewed in hindsight and in isolation - however - put this all in context. Would the ref EVER try to skew their calls so that the "nicest" or "more deserving" team won? NEVER. That said, in a few games a year when the game turns on a bucket or call late in the 4th qtr - that is when you do not want the ref mad at you, your coach, the bench or the fans. Whining the whole night resulted in the T. These refs are dentists and insurance salesmen who love the game and love staying involved in HS athletics. They don't show favortism, however, they are human and if you keep making them mad, it will usually come back to bite you. As I said earlier, there is a right way and wrong way to yell at them. I also heard that two of the parents verbally accosted a couple of the refs after the game. That is sad. SC....your kids are ok - your parents need to grow up.

Alright GoBama I just wanted to make sure you werent making Jones out to be some Ron Artest basketball player because hes not.  Ask your brother...Jones has a lot of respect for him and I believe your brother has the same amount for him.  Jones is known as a coachable player and a team guy that doesn't showboat nor is he known for get T-d up.  Your post earlier made it seem as if he was out of control but I think we both agree that HE himself wasnt deserving of a technical foul.  The complaining of the fans mightve had something to do with it but what he did was definitely not at the level for a T.  Do you agree?

825559761[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to make him out to be the Ron Artest of high school basketball. All I was getting at was that it was a dumb mistake that clearly could have been avoided by keeping his mouth shut. I apologize if it seemed that way. And yes, he is an excellent player .. 20+ points in less than 3 quarters is pretty good ...