DI OW

slimwrastler54

What is the definition of OW??  What has to be accomplished to get the award?  Obviously, one muct be the champ.  But, how dominating must one be?

825559134[/snapback]

Some things that are looked at are pinning all opponents, defeating a defending state champ, total domination in matches. There is no set formula. It is simply icing on the cake. Most kids are just focused on winning the tournament.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be wrong to critique for OW?

Such as:

Total points earned for his team during the tournament?

This would create incentive to wrestle for the pin each time.

If two wrestlers had scored the equal amount of points for his team,

number of pins

number of tech falls

number m.d.

and so on.....

eventually come out with the winner being the most dominating?

That would end the guesswork or subjectivity.

reftn

Would it be wrong to critique for OW? 

Such as:

Total points earned for his team during the tournament?

This would create incentive to wrestle for the pin each time.

If two wrestlers had scored the equal amount of points for his team,

number of pins

number of tech falls

number m.d.

and so on.....

eventually come out with the winner being the most dominating?

That would end the guesswork or subjectivity.

reftn

825559710[/snapback]

Just to let you know that I am not stalking you...LOL...I agree but that's pretty much how it is done now. Just without a calculator.

A lot of coaches vote on OW based on careers, not on performance in the state tourney.

For instance, (not to take anything away from the kid) but Jordan Leen won last year's OW in DII for dominating a very weak weight class. On the other hand, Nick Marable dominataed all the way to the finals and then beat a two time defending state champion (Manley). Something is a little off there.

Who has Creagan not dominated in Tennessee?

825559439[/snapback]

I'm not saying he hasn't beaten all his competition in TN. And, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

My comment simply reflects that I think there are others who will demonstrate a more dominating control over their weight class at the State Tournament.

I'm not saying he hasn't beaten all his competition in TN. And, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

My comment simply reflects that I think there are others who will demonstrate a more dominating control over their weight class at the State Tournament.

825560141[/snapback]

He's done well @ 140 in D1. DeAntonio Johnson will be interesting depending on where he wrestles.

I see Bundy, B. DAvis (if over Borneman), Merideth, or Coleman as OW. Kelly Felix is a possiblity. I heard DAvid Johnson is offically dropping to 152, which he could dominate. We'll see.

soms

I dont think career or pins should have to do with anything to earn the ow.

i think it should be based on what the kid put out on the mat.

let's say kid a-pins his way through the tourney, but didn't defeat anyone worth much.

then kid b comes in and pins all except last match that he had to overcome some adversity like a three time state champ or somthing and showed alot of heart.

i think it should be based a little bit on heart also. That is what outsanding is really about. oh yea and showing good sportsmanship also.