Underated Players

Bear22

I would throw Phibbs from Halls in that mix of underrated guys. Yes, he's a pitcher and everyone is talking about Halls' pitching, but they're not really talking about Cody. All you hear is about Larson and Lockwood and for good reason, but Phibbs is stout on the mound and merely a junior. If I'm not mistaken I think he was undefeated on the year last year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blair and Clement from Maryville, I agree. King has played j.v. since he's been in high school, I can't agree with you on this.

825591464[/snapback]

I agree with you. King did barely okay on J.V. so how can he be okay on varsity? Is there any sophmores or freshmen for maryville playing up? Also who will be maryville's shortstop?

I would throw Phibbs from Halls in that mix of underrated guys.  Yes, he's a pitcher and everyone is talking about Halls' pitching, but they're not really talking about Cody.  All you hear is about Larson and Lockwood and for good reason, but Phibbs is stout on the mound and merely a junior.  If I'm not mistaken I think he was undefeated on the year last year.

825592046[/snapback]

This is NOT meant as a slam on Cody. In fact, I agree he is underrated because of all the attention his teammates have received. One thing to keep in mind though. When you have as many talented pitchers as does Halls, sometimes the records may reflect how the rotation stacks up against the competition. It's not uncommon for the coach to lay out his rotation so that his #1 guy faces the best competition. Consequently, the "ace" may take some lumps. As an example, Lockwood, Larsen, or Phibbs would have a tougher time getting a win and putting up big numbers against Farragut vs. a 6th or 7th place team. I'm not saying that's the case with Halls, I don't know. I've seen numerous examples where the team's better pitcher didn't have as good a record as the #2 or #3 pitcher for that reason.

In district 4 over the past few years, if Farragut's opponent elected to pitch their best pitchers, then the "best" pitcher ended up with an L.

Guest thedragon

I DON"T THINK PEOPLE PAY ENOUGH ATTENTION TO THE CATCHERS...

ONE OF THE BEST THAT I"VE SEEN AROUND THIS AREA FOR SEVERAL YEARS

IS WORLEY FROM LOUDON HIGH

I wouldnt say that cause i saw him play vs Central at Central last weekend and he didnt surprise me but i dont know he might have had an off game But Everret was throwing it good

I agree with you.  King did barely okay on J.V. so how can he be okay on varsity?  Is there any sophmores or freshmen for maryville playing up?  Also who will be maryville's shortstop?

825592133[/snapback]

Barley okay on JV? Wow you did not see many games the last two years. He was left on JV last year due to lack of depth in pitching on the JV team. He moved to varisty after the JV season was over and played during the district tournment. He was there best pitcher had the highest average and quite frankly there best player. Now as for this year and varisty I think he will be the most underrated player with the level of play this past summer he was outstanding.

This is NOT meant as a slam on Cody.  In fact, I agree he is underrated because of all the attention his teammates have received.  One thing to keep in mind though.  When you have as many talented pitchers as does Halls, sometimes the records may reflect how the rotation stacks up against the competition.  It's not uncommon for the coach to lay out his rotation so that his #1 guy faces the best competition.  Consequently, the "ace" may take some lumps.  As an example, Lockwood, Larsen, or Phibbs would have a tougher time getting a win and putting up big numbers against Farragut vs. a 6th or 7th place team.  I'm not saying that's the case with Halls, I don't know.  I've seen numerous examples where the team's better pitcher didn't have as good a record as the #2 or #3 pitcher for that reason.

In district 4 over the past few years, if Farragut's opponent elected to pitch their best pitchers, then the "best" pitcher ended up with an L.

825593755[/snapback]

I know what you mean by the 3rd man rotation, but I also know Cody pitched in some of the state games, but I can't remember which one(s) and I think he dominated that game(s). I'm sure he could tell you for sure. But, here's another aspect on it. Cody was a sophomore last year. To be a sophomore and pitching up on varsity and winning like he did is impressive. Yes, Lockwood was a sophomore last year as well, but it was more expected of him. In my own opinion of Cody, he'd be the #1 pitcher on a lot of teams around here and in the state, yet, he's the #3 man at Halls, or at least the last time I heard. thumb

It's hard to say that a player who made All-State as a sophomore is underrated, but Johnson County's Nathan Paisley hit .484 and led the Watauga Conference in home runs last year and was still left off the Kingsport Times-News, Johnson City Press and the Bristol Hearld Courier's All-Northeast Tennessee teams. Has the potential to play big time college baseball or maybe in the minor leagues.