Rutledge Girls Basketball

tscout

Can anyone explain why Rutledge's most talented five players do not play together(Wolfenbarger, Farrar, Roberts, Jarnigan, Roach) on the court at the same time? I sat on the vistors side and overheard several remarks on the frequent subs. and the difficulty for players to get a rythm. Are there displinary issues? This is a very talented but frustrated team.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain why Rutledge's most talented five players do not play together(Wolfenbarger, Farrar, Roberts, Jarnigan, Roach) on the court at the same time? I sat on the vistors side and overheard several remarks on the frequent subs. and the difficulty for players to get a rythm. Are there displinary issues? This is a very talented but frustrated team.

825574284[/snapback]

I'm not sure about that, but I know that when they came to PF, their post player didn't even play. Wolfenbarger was out due to sickness or an injury and didn't even dress out, but the other girl (who I think is one of their best) didn't even get on the court. One of our girls ask her why she didn't play and she said "I don't know, ask my coach." Maybe there are some disciplinary problems. If so, you've got to respect the coach. How many seniors do they have?

I'm not sure about that, but I know that when they came to PF, their post player didn't even play.  Wolfenbarger was out due to sickness or an injury and didn't even dress out, but the other girl (who I think is one of their best) didn't even get on the court.  One of our girls ask her why she didn't play and she said "I don't know, ask my coach."  Maybe there are some disciplinary problems.  If so, you've got to respect the coach.  How many seniors do they have?

825574481[/snapback]

Right on, Lady Tigers Mom.

If a coach decides to bench a player for diciplinary issues, others should stay out of it. Parents have a right to know to know whats going on, but in most

cases should stay out of it.

Roberts (54 I think is her #?) seems to be a talented post player, but in games I have seen them play this year she hasn't played a whole lot of minutes. At CG she barely even played until Wolfenbarger got hurt and then she came in and took total control of the game and was a big reason why her team came from behind and won. I also remember her being a big part of the team last year. Is she a senior this year?

I wouldn't blame the lack of skills and fundamentals on a High School coach. Those are things that should have been achieved by elementary and pee wee league coaches. When you're in High School, you should learn these things on your own if your driven enough. That's not the coaches fault.

825576135[/snapback]

I agree with part of your statement. I wouldn't blame the high school coach and yes, most fundamentals are learned in the early years. But I also have seen some very talented players who still have some skills to be developed and a good high school coach will usually teach them. Coach Johnson at Pigeon Forge High is a good example. My daughter, Brianna, has always been a great defensive player; however, in the 3 years she has played for Coach Johnson, I have seen her improve her offense tremendously.

By the way, Coach Johnson received the "Coach of the Year" in District 2! thumb

I agree with part of your statement.  I wouldn't blame the high school coach and yes, most fundamentals are learned in the early years.  But I also have seen some very talented players who still have some skills to be developed and a good high school coach will usually teach them.  Coach Johnson at Pigeon Forge High is a good example.  My daughter, Brianna, has always been a great defensive player; however, in the 3 years she has played for Coach Johnson, I have seen her improve her offense tremendously.

By the way, Coach Johnson received the "Coach of the Year" in District 2! thumb

825576227[/snapback]

She deserved it. She's done a lot for that program in 5 years.

I also would like to comment on how well Coach Shawn Jones of South Greene has done. I know that he did not expect to be coaching this year and had not prepared, but I think that he's done a tremendous job!

Congratulations Coaches!!

I think the problem with this Rutledge team is too many parents are trying to coach, when the kids quit looking up into the stands at their parents for directions and start listening to the coach then they'll be a lot better.

825575253[/snapback]

MVP04 I do not know what games that you are talking about. I have been to a lot of Rutledge's games this year and the last couple of years and I do not see players looking into the stands at parents for coaching help . What games are you talking about only the games that they have lost? I do not think that is the problem with Rutledge girls basketball. Everyone close to program knows what the problem is, but hey the season is over the score board say's they lost 60-47. Time to move on to next year.

Bball4034, i know ur girl is probably coming up next year but what do you have against the coach? I'm just saying there is two sides to every story.

825578044[/snapback]

MVP you said that parents are coaching from the stands, did you not . I ask you to give some examples. I just stated that I have not seen players looking into the stands to thier parents for coaching. You gave this as an example as to what the problem is a Rutledge.

Just give me some examples. I'll state it again that I do not think that is the problem .

I did not say what the problem is I just said that people close to the progam do know what is wrong. Do you think that there is no problem there other than parents?

What makes you think that?

As far as coaching I have not said anything against the coach on here. Have I come on this site and bashed the coach? No I have not.

Now if you are asking if I like how the coach handles the Team I do not. That is my opinion and you may disagree with me on this but that's OK.

I belive there are alot of problems with program and I do not think that they can be fixed quickly. I would like to see the program get back to were I fill it should be but I do not think it will any time soon.

I saw the game tonight against Claiborne Co. and I thought the Rutledge girls really played well. They do have talent, but just didn't handle the press well. I think if they had played more defensively, the score would have been much different. Sometimes a win or loss can be attributed to the coaching. This very well could have been the case.

I will say this...Wolfenbarger & #54 really tried their best. I was most impressed with them during the final 2 1/2 minutes of the game. They were only down by 11 or so points and their coach pulled all starters and put his 2nd/3rd string in. These girls came off the court encouraging those going in. I know they had to be upset by the defeat, but they didn't show it at all. That was about the best sportsmanship I saw all day. :D

I'm with you bball4034. I've not seen a girl looking into the stands for coaching advice from their parents. What I do see is upset parents. Why are they upset? Because of the way things have been handled the past 5 years.

I've already made mention of the problem in a couple of threads previously. That seemed to make a relative of the head coach upset that I simply stated facts.

Here are the facts:

The wins are right...I'm not exactly sure on the losses...

1999* 23-11 with Kitts and Jarnagin who were starters on the Final Four team.

2000 16-17

2001 10-21 fewest wins in a season at that point.

2002 16-15 over .500 on the strength of an upset win in the district consolation game.

2003  8-21 fewest wins in a season at that point

2004  6-22 including an embarrassing loss to  Union County at home in the play-in game eight days after beating them by 40 points. Worst record in school history.

2005  15-15...won six in a row and lost the last two to finish at .500

Overall: 94-122 in seven years...Doug McBee won over 350 games in 17 years and only had three losing seasons...and his teams never missed the regional tournament.

Matter of fact...the girls made the region for 35 years in a row...until 2003.

With three of the worst records in school history...I know the problem doesn't lie in the lack of talent...

Now...anyone can dispute me if they like, but these are the facts. And things won't get any better until something changes.  :D

I would love to see the head coach do well, but more than that I want the girls to do well. And you can tell by the way some of them look sometimes that they're not having any fun.

I will make this statement...I'll be shocked if the head coach is still the head coach when Grainger Co. High opens in 2008.

825578441[/snapback]

I think that some of your points might be accurate up to the point of comparing the records between Dougs teams and Tee's

I think that to some avail, the talent level is in the ballpark but not yet on the playing field as some of the best teams fro RHS. It has been many moons since a Megan McBee, Mica Smith, Jenny Jarnigan, Amanda Farrar, Jerrica Wallace and Michelle Mitchum have graced the floor off 11W. And If I'm not mistaken was Tee not Doug's assitant during a large part of those 350 wins?

I think that the level of competition may have finally caught up with S Greene, Rutledge, Gatlinburg. It hasn't been that many years ago that it was a shock to see S Greene beaten by anyone let alone in the district. Now Chuckey Doak, Pigeon Forge, Claiborne all have faired well against each other.

I still feel firmly that a lot of the wins from S Greene stemmed from everyone being scared stiff of Ricker. This includes officials, most of whom are affraid to call against him, Greene Co School system, TSSAA. And opposing teams who have gone in there with the game already lost.

But morals and ethics should be more important than wins. thumb