Some poor, poor officiating in some D-2 finals

mr. tennessee

Mr. Abbott, with all due respect, can you honestly tell all of us that you agreed with all the calls you witnessed at the state tournament?

How about you reftn?

I watched a ref that wasn't voted for in his own region, getting the opportunity to ref at the state level. How does that happen? Your not good enough to ref the region tourn., but your good enough to ref the state?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the problem is the referees are invinsible. They make a call and it is wrong. there is no reprecussion. You get REFS on here telling you to put the stripes on. If a coach questions a call - you are warned - then approach again- lose a team point.. I understand the reasons behind the rule- so coaches will not give their kids breaks and stall out the match. But the State you have two officials and I did not see one referee overturn another ref's call. There are so many judgement calls - that a ref will make mistakes but if you question them- nothing is never overturned.

Reftn- you can ref each weight class the same. the 275lb. class is different than the 130lb class. different styles of wrestling. Only 275 lber you could ref like would have been Shazzon Bradley.He was a monster.

Seriously Guys. We (D1) just got off this last year. It's sooo bad. You'd think with all this TSSAA money we could grab up atleast 6 good refs. I understand completely, when you have your old high school out there wrestling v. your old rival school or your son, you want a fair match. I saw most of the calls you guys are talking about. Overrall, the refs at state are bad (ok, very bad). Why does it seem like, in almost every medal round match, there is some kind of questionable call? I understand when the brackets start getting more narrow, that means the competition gets a little stiffer, but that shouldn't mean the refs get a little worse.

Just a Thought

What I don't understand is how Green could win when he didn't shoot a single time the entire match. Jake was the only one working for the takedown. Green kept walking Jake to the outside and when Jake tried to bring him back towards the center Green would let go and wait till Jake went after him. Green stalled the whole time.

rc

Do I see calls I disagree with even while watching fellow officials on the mat? You bet I do. The difference between you and me is I have been where he is and you have not. So I understand that sometimes, even my experienced perception is not reality. You have only perception, and no reality.

It is totally different on the mat. The sight and feel part of wrestling becomes honed to a new intensity, almost to the point of the wrestlers themselves.

Are we officials perfect? Not quite. But we are an easy target when things dont appear to go ones way.

Most of the loudest fans are legends in their own minds. We, basically, have no legendary aspirations.

Oddly, I like the Baylor, McCallie, Bradley, Clarksville fans. It is their spirit that makes this tournament a truly great show. When Bourneman won his title, the Germantown fans wouldnt be denied their voices.

And people on here are whinin' about stalling calls/non calls in a heavy weight match? Give me a break.

Watching the parade of champions, I cant help but think no other sport honors individual effort as our sport does.

Lets look at the incredible job individuals did.

Usary showed he belonged, and with Bundy brought us the best match D1. That was incredible, I hadnt seen Usary before this tournament. Bundy, head held high, only looked to the future. "I hadnt been pushed like that before, I got to work harder. See ya next year." Totally class.

Kudos to the Farragut tandem. These guys were great from the chairs. The two in the corner looked kinda like Knox, any relation? Two champions for them.

Bradley comes back and gets it done, through the consy's. I read the quote by Jordan and thought he was giving both Bradley and Franklin a compliment. Who won more championships? Ahhh, but who took home the trophy!

Two defensive pins in the finals. That had to be a first.

Some upstart from East Lit had Creagan reeling for four and a half minutes. Creagan showed himself a young champion and kept it together.

John Paul II gets a state champion. Atta boy Cookie!

Kenny Meredith has been a champion all season. He could have mailed it in, but we got to see him. And Weakley was a gamer.

Thats maybe a tenth of the tournament. But lets go back and whine about stalling calls/non calls in a heavy weight match.

Is there room for improvement? Always.

reftn

good summary reftn, but the div 2 boys deserved a little better.

You know coaches, wrestlers and shoe salesmen can all have an off day, why not 3 or 4 officials. As a tournament I made the comment several times it was very well officiated. Saw a lot a mistakes all the way around (coaches wrestlers, fans ect.) but this discussion was focused on several matches in the finals where refs had the opportunity to put on an allstate performances in front of several thousand people and on TV. Could I had done better, absolutely not. Nor could any of the other fans and coaches. But the guys calling in the finals are expected to have allstate performances as well. I'm proud to say most passed the test.

Btw none, I would be in favor of numbering the officials throughout the tournament and allowing the coaches through a secret ballot (no discussion) vote for their finals officials after the Semi Final round. It would be my opinion an official that would rather not be numbered isnt confident enough to call the final anyway.

An official couldnt suck up to enough coaches to get voted in. For everytime you stink up, you lose another vote. Vote 5 as the highest and 1 as the lowest for each official. It is a self check system. An official is pressured to call his best, most consistent every match. A coach might disagree with the way I call stalling for instance. But, if he knew I called it like that EVERY time, he would know precisely what he was getting and how to coach his kid better.

Then it would be quite an honor to be one of the selected to call the final.

Any official worth his salt would tell you some days you just arent sharp. Just as a wrestler wants to peak at the right time, officials are no different.

reftn