Lady Cyclones District One Champions

coaches_corner

Krich

This cyclone will be pulling for Unicoi Monday. It would be fitting for the cyclones and devils to determine who gets a substate game. I dont see anyone in the other bracket derailing the Lady Tigers from a berth in the Regional final. One thing is for sure, if Elizabethton gets there, nobody can say they didnt earn it!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with cyclonesnightmare (he really outta change that now), and you krich, about one thing.........the blue devils this year have not played as well as most would have thought. They have some young talented players. They have four senior starters who have been through the wars and know what it takes to win. They do not have Megan Headley however, and as much as some, early on, lamented the lady cyclone loss of their four seniors, there is no doubt now, that the lady devils miss Headley much more. But that said, they are a very dangerous team and may very well beat South Greene; and Elizabethton. Some great games looming in Region One AA.

Edited by coaches_corner

I felt, and still do, that those seniors were a great group. I also thought the Lady Cyclones would suffer from lack of depth, especially where Forbes was available for Micheala. It simply hasn't been a problem to this point, but I'm still aghast. :blink:

I remember Lingerfelt, Kerns and Headley shooting lights out at Unaka in a classic last season. They also were overwhelming against the Cyclones at Unicoi. I just felt that the outside barrage would continue.

Headley was a Great Player, and you're right, corner, she's the most conspicuous by her absense. But can Engles, Barnett, Lingerfelt and Kerns get it done. I think they can, provided the post team gets back in sync. Everyone needs to go back to the basics, and back to their Natural positions, anchor down and produce some offense.

Unicoi is certainly an inside-out team, and without the post game, the guards will look worse than they actually are.

But I still think they can do it.

I felt, and still do, that those seniors were a great group. I also thought the Lady Cyclones would suffer from lack of depth, especially where Forbes was available for Micheala. It simply hasn't been a problem to this point, but I'm still aghast. :blink:

I remember Lingerfelt, Kerns and Headley shooting lights out at Unaka in a classic last season. They also were overwhelming against the Cyclones at Unicoi. I just felt that the outside barrage would continue.

Headley was a Great Player, and you're right, corner, she's the most conspicuous by her absense. But can Engles, Barnett, Lingerfelt and Kerns get it done. I think they can, provided the post team gets back in sync. Everyone needs to go back to the basics, and back to their Natural positions, anchor down and produce some offense.

Unicoi is certainly an inside-out team, and without the post game, the guards will look worse than they actually are.

But I still think they can do it.

Here is the new name.

The talent is there. Them being able to use it is another question. Hard for Kerns and especially Lingerfelt to get it done sitting on the bench. Starting 5 hasn't been on floor enough together to get into any kind of rythem. Watch the clock Mon. night and you will see. Doesn't matter if they are on a 10 point run with between 3:30 -4:00 minutes left in quarter Lingerfelt and probably one more will come out.

Kellye's basketball skills was wasted. They broke her spirit long ago. She never had the opportunity of being able to play through a mistake or missed shot. She did either and she got subbed for. She started high school with so much confidence in her ability and will leave it with none whatsoever.

The offense can't get in any rythem no matter who is in there when 4 of them spend so much time trying for offensive rebounds. Thats got Sparks and Weaver in foul trouble several times this year. 8 -33 shooting against Central. 2-16 by one player. Made 2 baskets, got own rebound once and Barnett got 1. Rest of shots Central rebounded. 12 turnover could lead to 24 points real easy. Thats what its been all year. When thats allowed to happen whole team suffers.

The guards can shoot the lights out if they can get the ball. Most of time though if the if the ball isn't shot the pass is bounced at their feet giving defense time to recover.

I don't knoe hopefully Fisher can get back the intensity but I don't think so. The problems they have should have been corrected early in the season. Can't wait till tournament time to try to fix them.

I'd like to see them playing Eliz.again but I don't think it will happen. South Greene by 10.

Time for softball to start anyway.

Krich:

No doubt the Lady Cyclones lost four great seniors last year; three starters in

Forbes, Dykes and Bishop, and a good defensive player and shooter off the bench in Kauffeld. The lady cyclone program reloaded. Its a credit to the Junior High and offseason programs, and coaches Farthing and Wilson, that the program has the talent to reload. And Wilson, with outstanding leadership from the seniors, has molded them into the team they are. The players know their roles. Team chemistry has gotten better as the season went along as you would hope it would. Next season everyone will be saying that the cyclones will be down without Rikki and Val; that we wont be any good. I have no idea how good we will be; but there are still some players in the program! You wont ever replace a Baughman or a Redd, but some of their traits will remain. Cyclone Pride really means something to these kids.

Now to the Unicoi deal. In watching them play several times this season, its apparent they have not developed the type of team chemistry one would have thought. Krich is the optimist, nightmare is the pessimist. Nightmare is closer to the program and as a parent of a player, Im guessing, pretty well knows whats going on "inside the huddle". Fisher is a good coach, in fact many would rate him as the best in our conference. He's no stranger to South Greene and realizes if Unicoi plays like they did this past week, they will lose. Its an great matchup and Im glad it is the game immediately before the cyclones game so I can watch it unfold. Good luck to the Devils.

Now to the Unicoi deal.  In watching them play several times this season, its apparent they have not developed the type of team chemistry one would have thought.  Krich is the optimist, nightmare is the pessimist.  Nightmare is closer to the program and as a parent of a player, Im guessing, pretty well knows whats going on "inside the huddle".  Fisher is a good coach, in fact many would rate him as the best in our conference.  He's no stranger to South Greene and realizes if Unicoi plays like they did this past week, they will lose.  Its an great matchup and Im glad it is the game immediately before the cyclones game so I can watch it unfold.  Good luck to the Devils.

825589170[/snapback]

I'm no more than a dedicated fan of many years. Fisher is a good coach. But something is wrong this year. It goes all the way back to summer ball. The basketball program suffered this year with the addition of volley ball. The Lady Devils had to practice at 6:00 A.M. before school. Only time they could get the gym till the end of October. Not a lot sinks in at that time of morning to a teenager.

I've tried all year to be optimistic with them but as the season wore on I finally gave up that things would change. It doesn't do any good to threaten to bench them for excessive shooting, not hitting the open players. etc. and not following through with it. Eventually they figure out that it doesn't matter how they play they will still be in the game.

What makes it so bad is these senoirs are a heck of a ball team. From middle school on up they've been hard to handle. After 5 games you could see just how much Headley did. Thats when the changes should have been made because it was obvious the job wasn't getting done. Most coaches have figured them out. Let the outside shot be taken and play for the rebound. Thats 15-20 moe possessions a game at least.

If some major adjustments are made they can come back and win some games but being the pessimist and it not happening all year I don't foresee it happening.

Edited by nightmare_no_more

If I'm Eliz. I'm pulling for Unicoi County. South Greene is unpredictable. Unicoi County isn't.

Hard for the senoir guards to build confidence knowing that no matter how good they play they will sit out at least 12-15 minutes a game.

Biggest problem. Lack of offense comes from ball hogging. In the loss to Central in district Devils shot 8 of 33 with one player shooting 2 for 16. Been like that all year.

I think the Lady Devils softball is going to get 2 of their main players back Tuesday in Lingerfelt and Weaver.

825588531[/snapback]

Elizabethton better not overlook Chuckey-Doak or it won't matter who wins the Unicoi Co. vs. South Greene game. If the Cyclones beat the Black Knights, they have a tough match-up either way. They will either have to beat a tough Unicoi team for the 3rd time, never an easy feat or beat South Greene, who pounded them in the Christmas tournament. As an ex-coach, I would rather play South Greene and use the revenge factor as motivation. I really don't care who they play, I just want them to win. I would love to see the Cyclones in Murfreesboro!

With confidence playing such a Huge part, there's no reason to doubt that Elizabethton Will Advance. Chuckey Doak is Not a team to take lightly, but we haven't seen any sign but that the Lady Cyclones will be ready. Excepting the Pre-Christmas Nightmare, this has been a very business-like club. Besides, it's Win or Go Home Time!

nightmare no more, On a couple occasions, Mainer was actually on the court with both Weaver and Sparks; this seemed to work very well for the Lady Blue Devils ....while it lasted. With those three anchored, Unicoi is a BIG, Talented basketball Team; the kind of Team that can line up and defeat South Greene. I don't envy Coach Fisher; but I feel that he is the man who can get the job done.

I think that the Lady Cyclones will be very good next season; a more balanced offensive team with M P, Eden Treadway and Marti what's-er-name providing a very stout nucleus. The marksmanship will be better. I've heard that Eden, at near six feet, can shoot from across the highway.

And on that note, Cameron Crapps has improved by leaps and bounds, and might be the most under-rated player in the Conference. Victoria has also stepped up recently, and appears a little more confident with the ball in her hands. This bodes well as we will surely see the tournament opponents collapse around RB and MP.

And, 17, we still plan to have dinner at your place. But how are you gonna cook for EHS, UHS, CHS and UCHS?

nightmare no more, On a couple occasions, Mainer was actually on the court with both Weaver and Sparks; this seemed to work very well for the Lady Blue Devils ....while it lasted. With those three anchored, Unicoi is a BIG, Talented basketball Team; the kind of Team that can line up and defeat South Greene. I don't envy Coach Fisher; but I feel that he is the man who can get the job done.

Thats the line up. The four senoirs and Mainer. As big as Mainer is she should have played as many minutes as possible early just to be getting her ready for the tournaments. I don't know looks like they are playing for the future instead of the present.