Blue Devils Prevail

krichunaka

acdcfan or coaches corner can supply the details, but the Unicoi County Lady Blue Devils defeated South Greene tonight in Erwin.

My understanding is that Elizabeth Weaver got into foul trouble, and Hali Sparks took over. Pretty sure Hali scored 27 points.

Congratulations to Coach Glenn Fisher and the Lady Blue Devils.

And to the Rebels, a Great Season. You Ladies have had to overcome so much this season. God Speed.

I'm not familiar with these players. Who are #'s 40, 20 and 15? If I have the right numbers, these were the players I was most impressed with. I'm thinking #40 & #20 were the two (tallest) post players and #15 is a red-headed guard. Are they all seniors? I remember these girls from the last two years, but just never knew their names.

LTM,

# 40 - Elizabeth Weaver.

# 27 - Hali Sparks

# 15 - Amber Kerns

Weaver and Sparks were Tremendous last season; both had injuries to begin this season, and this set the entire team back.

I was told by Coach Fisher that Weaver was in early foul trouble tonight, and Sparks caught fire. The two of them were a premier post pair last season, until the injury to Weaver.

Kerns, the redhead, and the other senior, #12, Kellye Lingerfelt can erupt. When Unicoi's guards are hitting, especially if the Sophomore point guard, #14 Engles is on, then Weaver and Sparks become dominant. The six-foot Freshman Center, #13, Mainer provides BIG depth, and another Freshman, # 22, Payge Barnett, compliments a very talented team.

If this was just a one-night affair, Elizabethton will play your Tigers in the Final. If Unicoi, by some Glenn-Fisher-Waving-of-the-Magic-Wand, has returned to last season's form, they are very capable of Winning the Region. Either way, it appears we have at least Three Region One AA teams capable of catching the bus to Murfreesboro. This is getting Better and Better. thumb

Krich:

This was a different Unicoi team last night than we saw last week in the District.

They are very capable of beating the Cyclones. Cyclones depth was tested last night with Pietrowski and Redd getting two early fouls in the first quarter. Treadway and Gouge filled in well. Wednesdays game will be one for the ages. I dont see either team getting close to 60 points. Defense will be the theme and points will be hard to come by. I predict a game in the forties that will be in doubt until the end. Which team wants it the most will prevail.

Edited by coaches_corner

Well, Unaka's Girls and Boys took care of business tonight; Cloudland's Girls will take on the Lady Rangers for the fourth time Thursday.

I expect to be in Unicoi tonight to watch this one. Mrs.B, I hope to meet you if you're there. Marti Bush's Dad can point you in my direction. (look for the tattered, pink Converse All Stars; not changing the Lucky ole sneekers until this thing is over and done with; hopefully the 19th *for the boys*)

corner, I've heard that Unicoi County was very solid throughout the game with South Greene; they were due.

I just think that the Lady Cyclones have come too far to end it now. They have risen to every occasion. And I realize scores can be very deceptive, but the Lady Cyclones haven't let any opponent even get close.

And I couldn't agree with you more about the "less than sixty." The way these two teams play defense, and the way they play against each other; well, what more could a Carter Countian ask for, other than for the brackets to have been drawn up differently. The loss by Unicoi, to Central, made this "Win or Go Home" scenario possible. Good Luck; hope to see you there.