TSSAA/Legislative Oversight Committee

GWAVE1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told some of ya'll 2 years ago it was going to come down the pike.  It is not only all of  the private schools who are in support of this.

825598007[/snapback]

How much support is out there in the Public Schools? Iwould think the Private Schools will support 100%.

I would not support this proposal.  I think there are better ways to fix the system.  Government "oversight" just means more politics.

825601163[/snapback]

How would you propose to fix the system? Let's hear some of your better ways. IMO, the only was to stop oversight legislation is for the TSSAA to eliminate the 1.8 Multiplier and add Private D-I and D-II representation to the Board of Control.

Won't happen until oversight is in place to force it to happen.

The train has left the station!!!

Edited by necvol

A more representative Board of Control and Legislative Council would be a good first step. Recent actions by the TSSAA has been strongly influenced by group(s) with a specific agenda. For example, the genesis of the public/private split was Riverdale's loss to Brentwood Academy in the 1995 5A state championship football game. The 1.8 multiplier idea was started by an influential rural public school administrator.

I just don't think a legislative oversight committee will solve anything. An oversight committee would just be one more body that would be subject to political influence.

IMHO

Edited by Bighurt

A more representative Board of Control and Legislative Council would be a good first step.  Recent actions by the TSSAA has been strongly influenced by group(s) with a specific agenda.  For example, the genesis of the public/private split was Riverdale's loss to Brentwood Academy in the 1995 5A state championship football game.  The 1.8 multiplier idea was started by an influential rural public school administrator.

I just don't think a legislative oversight committee will solve anything.  An oversight committee would just be one more body that would be subject to political influence. 

IMHO

825601784[/snapback]

IMO, you are wrong. I too am not a proponent of more government but I don't think there is any other way the problems will be addressed. The State Legislature must inforce the Constitution or change it. We all have certain Constitutional rights among which are fair and equal representation and the right against discrimination. The Constitutionally endowed rights aforementioned are currently being blatantly ignored by many of the TSSAA actions/policies. It is my belief and hope that the State Legislature will/can not allow such actions to continue.

IMO, you are wrong. I too am not a proponent of more government but I don't think there is any other way the problems will be addressed. The State Legislature  must inforce the Constitution or change it. We all have certain Constitutional rights among which are fair and equal representation and the right against discrimination. The Constitutionally endowed rights aforementioned are currently being blatantly ignored by many of the TSSAA actions/policies. It is my belief and hope that the State Legislature will/can not allow such actions to continue.

825601869[/snapback]

You may be right. You and I agree that we would like to see the TSSAA change. I would love to see some of the TSSAA's recent actions rescinded. If a legislative oversight committee can make that happen, more power to them.

You may be right. I think that you and I agree that we would like to see the TSSAA be more accountable.

The TSSAA has mishandled the BA suspension and subsequent lawsuit. The Gallatin transfer situation last year was mishandled by the TSSAA. The family whose daughter transferred to Cheatham County were apparently at the very least not given complete information by the TSSAA specifically Gene Menees. Just three examples of a bureaucratic organization more concerned with public opinion and strict adherence to the letter of the law than good judgment and common sense.

The TSSAA should be an organization that has the welfare of the high school athlete as their primary goal. I don't think the TSSAA has fulfilled that mission recently. If a legislative oversight committee can make that happen, more power to them.

Edited by Bighurt

IMO, you are wrong. I too am not a proponent of more government but I don't think there is any other way the problems will be addressed. The State Legislature  must inforce the Constitution or change it. We all have certain Constitutional rights among which are fair and equal representation and the right against discrimination. The Constitutionally endowed rights aforementioned are currently being blatantly ignored by many of the TSSAA actions/policies. It is my belief and hope that the State Legislature will/can not allow such actions to continue.

825601869[/snapback]

I don't like big government either. But in this case it is needed. There are no checks and balances for the TSSAA. Right now the people in charge have absolute authority with no one to answer to. For example in the Gallatin case the Sunshine Laws of the State of Tenneessee were violated. Gallatin had to take them to court in order for them to change. My biggest concern is the ethics question.

To answer your question, I have been told that there are multiple public schools who are in favor of an oversight committee. Gallatin is on the list. I think that the rest of the Sumner county schools are as well. I know it passed the first hurdle. Where the legislation is now, I don't know.

I don't like big government either.  But in this case it is needed.  There are no checks and balances for the TSSAA.  Right now the people in charge have absolute authority with no one to answer to.  For example in the Gallatin case the Sunshine Laws of the State of Tenneessee were violated.  Gallatin had to take them to court in order for them to change.  My biggest concern is the ethics question. 

To answer your question, I have been told that there are multiple public schools who are in favor of an oversight committee.  Gallatin is on the list.  I think that the rest of the Sumner county schools are as well.  I know it passed the first hurdle.  Where the legislation is now, I don't know.

825602857[/snapback]

If the oversight legislation passes, will the multiplier stand or be overturned? Will private reps be added to the Board of Control? I predict major changes are on the way.

The only example of this I'm familiar with actually happening was Delaware. There, the state went so far as to abolish the DSSAA and create its own association, the DIAA. This had the effect of increasing the privates' voice, as they were even more disenfranchised in the old DSSAA than they are here (voting membership was explicitly reserved for public school boards) and now have a member on the main board.

Edited by silverpie

IMO, THE 1.8 MULTIPIER IS A GOOD THING. PRIVATE SCHOOLS CAN SAY THEY DON'T RECRUIT, BUT THEY KNOW THAT THEY DO. THEY CAN PICK SOME OF THE BETTER ATHLETS IN THE AREA AROUND THE SCHOOL AND USE THE "EDUCATION" PITCH (TELL THEM THEY'LL GET A BETTER EDUCATION AT THERE SCHOOL, WHICH IS TRUE.) SO IF THEY CAN GET THE BETTER ATHLETS THEN BUT THEM WITH BETTER COMPITITION.

AS FAR AS OVERSEEING THE TSSAA I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT! ALL THEY'RE TRYING TO DO IS LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD. AND IF THE TSSAA DIDN'T GO WITH THE MULTIPLIER THEN 1A WOULD BE OVERCROWDED. B/C TROUSDALE CO., HAMPTON, CLARKSVILLE ACADEMY, AND ZION CHRISTIAN ARE JUST A COUPLE OF TEAMS COMING TO 1A. AND YOU HAVE UNIONVILLE (OVER NEXT TO CHAPEL HILL, EAGLEVILLE, AND CASCADE) THAT WILL START PROBATION SOMETIME SOON AND IN A COUPLE OF YEARS SUMMERTOWN IS SUPPOSE TO GET A TEAM, THESE ARE ALL 1A TEAMS!!!! AND THERE ARE MORE I JUST CAN'T REMEMBER.