Geez--what's it gonna take to get a shot clock!?

TraderB

Fairley managed to squeeze by "STALL-BALL" Woodale in OT (56-54, I think). The score was tied @ 42 or 44, at the end of regulation, I believe.

Now, I know that there have been lower scoring games...but, if you had been at this game, you would likely have been VERY annoyed at Woodale's tactics: they basically stalled the ball everytime it got a lead, even a 1-pt lead! :lol:

1) Is it just ME, or does anyone else DESPISE teams that resort to stalling the ball?

2) What's it gonna take to get a shot clock, in H.S basketball?

3) Will it EVER happen?

Don't get me wrong--I don't mind set plays, working to get a good shot, etc. But, there needs to be some sort of time-limit, beyond which you're REQUIRED to shoot the dang ball!

Is that too much to ask? I mean, really...is that UNREASONABLE? :ph34r:

I just think that "stalling" the ball should have absolutely no place in basketball. Period! That sort of crap should be outlawed! It makes a complete mockery of the "spirit" of the game.

Now, I know I'm gonna get a whole lot of greif from fellow Memphians (especially Woodale fans), for saying this .... But--if Woodale had beaten Fairley, I would have literally driven hundreds of miles just to cheer AGAINST them! Yeah, I know they're from Memphis...I would still drive all the way to Murfreesboro, if need be, just to cheer for ANYBODY else. ANYBODY but "stall-ball" Woodale!!!

BTW..... I'm NOT a Fairley fan--I have NO alegiance to ANY particular school! I'm just a Memphian who loves HS basketball.

Edited by TraderB

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairley managed to squeeze by "STALL-BALL" Woodale in OT (56-54, I think).  The score was tied @ 42 or 44, at the end of regulation, I believe.

Now, I know that there have been lower scoring games...but, if you had been at this game, you would likely have been VERY annoyed at Woodale's tactics: they basically stalled the ball everytime it got a lead, even a 1-pt lead! :D

1)  Is it just ME, or does anyone else DESPISE teams that resort to stalling the ball?

2)  What's it gonna take to get a shot clock, in H.S basketball?

3)  Will it EVER happen?

Don't get me wrong--I don't mind set plays, working to get a good shot, etc.  But, there needs to be some sort of time-limit, beyond which you're REQUIRED to shoot the dang ball!

Is that too much to ask?  I mean, really...is that UNREASONABLE? :unsure:

A winner that is whining.

I just think that "stalling" the ball should have absolutely no place in basketball. Period!  That sort of crap should be outlawed!  It makes a complete mockery of the "spirit" of the game.

Now, I know I'm gonna get a whole lot of greif from fellow Memphians (especially Woodale fans), for saying this .... But--if Woodale had beaten Fairley, I would have literally driven hundreds of miles just to cheer AGAINST them!  Yeah, I know they're from Memphis...I would still drive all the way to Murfreesboro, if need be, just to cheer for ANYBODY else.  ANYBODY but "stall-ball" Woodale!!!

825598332[/snapback]

A winner that is whining.

825598520[/snapback]

Muffin,

Instead of simply calling me "a winner that is whining," why didn't you address the 3 questions posed in my post?

FYI, I'm NOT even a Fairley fan! So, my team didn't win. I don't have a team. I'm just a Memphian who loves HS basketball. Period. I have NO alegiance to ANY particular school.

I went to the Fairley vs Woodale game as a NEUTRAL observer, not really caring who won the game. I left the Fairley vs Woodale game as an ANNOYED observer, with much DISDAIN for Woodale's tactics.

1). It's just you.

2). Not needed. Do you really want high school offenses that look like the NBA? The shot clock has taken most of the offensive stategy out of the game at the NBA and (to a lesser extent) NCAA levels.

3). Hopefully not.

If a team doesn't like "stall-ball" they should run a trapping, pressing defense to speed up the game. Usually a stall is a two-way street.

Please, get the shot clock in. There is nothing worse than watching a team hold the ball for three minutes in the heat of the game without making an attempt at the bucket. I think its a coward tactic. True, I understand why a less athletic team would do it with a lead, but Lawrence County did it to Siegel when THEY WERE DOWN>>>YES>>>>DOWN 8. That's just not basketball. If a team wants to do that in the last couple of minutes of the game with a lead......fine, but in the Second Quarter is ridiculous. NCAA basketball is the best sport going and they have a 35 second clock.

University of Tennessee head coach Ray Mears had stall ball down to a science, as did North Caronlina head coach Dean Smith.

If you respect these outstanding college coaches, try to understand that the shot clock took away a key coaching strategy that sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, depending upon the execution by the players.

Do I like to watch it? Not especially! I like to see dunks, fast breaks, and high scoring games that come down to the final shot.

I also do not like lopsided victories that end up somewhere in the middle of the second quarter with one team up by 30 points.

Let the coaches coach! they know their players and game plan better than we do. If slowing the game down works to keep the game tight, it's more fun to watch than seeing your team blown out.

I hope we never see a shot clock in a high school gym!

Edited by The Sports Guy