Elizabethton - How about a little respect

voice

I see in the "updated" top 10 capsules that Elizabethton has moved up from honorable mentioned to #9. Hard to figure out that their last two wins were over #2 Olivar Springs and #4 Pigeon Forge. As everyone says "basketball is a tournement game" and it's tourney time. Why are Upperman and Loretto also shown as #6 and #10? Seems like Chester County and Bolivar Central might also be included in the "Top Ten". There are only eight teams left in AA.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, Elizabethton has gotten little respect all season. But, maybe its a good thing for them, the higher you are in the poles, the larger the bulls eye becomes, flying right under the radar right now might not be a bad thing for the Cyclones, because in the end the only rankings that matter come from what happens at the Buro.

I see in the "updated" top 10 capsules that Elizabethton has moved up from honorable mentioned to #9. Hard to figure out that their last two wins were over #2 Olivar Springs and #4 Pigeon Forge.  As everyone says "basketball is a tournement game" and it's tourney time. Why are Upperman and Loretto also shown as #6 and #10? Seems like Chester County and Bolivar Central might also be included in the "Top Ten". There are only eight teams left in AA.

825605508[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. I think they need to get rid of these polls as soon as the tournaments start. These polls are based on Strength of Schedule plus Success. Betsy should be higher in the polls but their losses in the Ladies Classic hurt them as well as their schedule. The only thing that matters now is that they are on their way to Murfessboro. These polls mean nothing.

I can't give the Cyclones any more respect. I'm he one who has voted them # 1 in the polls since late January. And they have most certainly performed like it. I was called biased for gving them a # 1 vote but they haven't lost a game since then.

Good Luck Lady Cyclones. I'll be pulling for you on press row!!!! thumb

Elizabethton is still low in the S+S ranking (a ranking, not a poll) because of its below average strength of schedule. With the 58th toughest schedule, their average opponent has lost about half of their games.

If I were going to change anything about the ranking it would be to discourage teams with low schedule strengths from being highly ranked. I think anything less than 40th is too low for a team to be in the Top 10.

Of course, that would introduce bias into it... and we're staying away from that.

The simple fact is that when you win against good teams your position on the S+S will go up. :D

I thought Oliver Springs and Pigeon Forge were Good Teams according to the S+S "RANKING." Where are they now? GO CYCLONES! 'Boro watch out there is a storm coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

825606266[/snapback]

As they say, that is why they play the games. Rankings are based on what they have done but can't always predict what they will do. I wouldn't have it any other way and without rankings we wouldn't know when there were upsets, would we?

Congrats to ETon and good luck.

OZ

My point exactly. If your computer is smart enough to figure out what the strength of schedule is it should also be smart enough to figure out when teams loose. No this is not a poll. The title at the top of the page is rankings. There are only 8 teams left to rank in each class, all the rest have gone home. At this point in the season it seems rather arrogent to say that it doesn't matter what has happened on the court. Perhaps your computer strength vs success formula should give added weight to the wins in regional and substate pairings. When you reach the round of 16 most of the teams will have never played each other nor will they have had a lot of common opponents, therefore your strength of schedule doesn't have a lot to compare. I like diamond2's idea of doing away with the rankings during the tourney. Instead I would recommend a capsule giving informatin on the eight or sixeen teams which remain.

OZ

My point exactly. If your computer is smart enough to figure out what the strength of schedule is it should also be smart enough to figure out when teams loose. No this is not a poll.  The title at the top of the page is rankings. There are only 8 teams left to rank in each class, all the rest have gone home. At this point in the season it seems rather arrogent to say that it doesn't matter what has happened on the court. Perhaps your computer strength vs success formula should give added weight to the wins in regional and substate pairings.  When you reach the round of 16 most of the teams will have never played each other nor will they have had a lot of common opponents, therefore your strength of schedule doesn't have a lot to compare. I like diamond2's idea of doing away with the rankings during the tourney. Instead I would recommend a capsule giving informatin on the eight or sixeen teams which remain.

825606365[/snapback]

The rankings are meant to be a reflection of the whole season. To drop teams that are no longer in would not have any basis. Loretto, Upperman, etc were upset which is indicated by the fact that they are no longer in the tournament. That doesn't mean they should be dropped from the rankings. It simply shows what the teams that beat them, and the teams that may have beaten those teams later, were able to do.

If you weight the games at this time of year then you are adding personal, subjective opinion to it. All of us realize that the real goal has been accomplished by only eight teams in each class and by looking back at the rankings you get a true reflection of what they overcame, or lived up to, in order to get there.

If your only goal is to rank the teams currently in then here: Austin East, Bolivar, Chester County, David Lipscomb, Elizabethton, Obion COunty, Walker Valley, Westview. Now, rank them.