Taunting Referees? Does it help or hurt?

spellerone

I think before the game the names of the officals should be announce just like the players. In the most part that why they are officals they want to be seen. and show they are in control. Because most of there wife are the boss when they get home. It the only time they have control. One of the post said that fouls equal out I have been to alot of games not caring who wins and I would say 80% of the fouls are not equal. So the offical don't like the coach should they take it out of the players. The players put fans in the gym not the officals.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that if you're behind it doesn't matter what you say to the refs.

BUT if you have a lead the last thing you want to do is yell at or cry to the refs. Why give them an excuse to call something the other way.

I used to yell at refs all the time when I was in the bleachers. I liked it. It was fun. As a student I prided myself on getting chants going against the refs or hollering something loud enough that they would turn and look at me. thumb

But I haven't been able to really do that in the last 14 years or so. They won't let you do it from where a photographer stands. I have been told to shut up or get in the bleachers a few times to because it was hard to keep quiet. Most of the time I'm pretty good.

And now I usually have more fun talking to the refs during the game. Some of them are very funny and most are nice.

Del (who has some very close friends that are officials and works with one every day.)

I do have to say this.  Middleton won b/c the refs wanted them to win.  If we played Middleton in our gym they would have gotten blown out!!!  We are better, and that's the truth.  If we breathed on their players they called a foul.  They could punch us and it was nothing.

825609318[/snapback]

i remember a while back when peabody came to lake county. ive never seen such a horribly officiated game in my life. just barely touchin a player almost got us a tech that night, yall really cant afford to complain about anything

i remember a while back when peabody came to lake county. ive never seen such a horribly officiated game in my life. just barely touchin a player almost got us a tech that night, yall really cant afford to complain about  anything

825611545[/snapback]

When it comes to the officiating once again it comes down to being in the eyes of the beholder. I guarantee you Lake County fans saw things differently.

i remember a while back when peabody came to lake county. ive never seen such a horribly officiated game in my life. just barely touchin a player almost got us a tech that night, yall really cant afford to complain about  anything

825611545[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me. There have been times that the same thing has happened to us. I'm not saying it was when we played peabody, it's been other times. But, anyway, I'm rooting for you guys. You go to state and show them what District 16A is all about. thumb

I do have to say this.  Middleton won b/c the refs wanted them to win.  If we played Middleton in our gym they would have gotten blown out!!!  We are better, and that's the truth.  If we breathed on their players they called a foul.  They could punch us and it was nothing.

825609318[/snapback]

Would you stop with all the trash you are talking? Middleton is a much better team than the Falcons. Get over it buddy, and try again next year.

Okay, first off, they're not much better if they're better at all.  Second, I wrote that yesterday morning,  you're a little behind.

825612550[/snapback]

Apparently they are good enough to beat the Falcons. The whole point is they are going to the Boro and Lake County isnt.

I think before the game the names of the officals should be announce just like the players. In the most part that why they are officals they want to be seen. and show they are in control. Because most of there wife are the boss when they get home. It the only time they have control. One of the post said that fouls equal out I have been to alot of games not caring who wins and I would say 80%  of the fouls are not equal. So the offical don't like the coach should they take it out of the players. The players put fans in the gym not the officals.

825611169[/snapback]

Go back under your rock!

If you really think that official do this job because we want exposure, you are not being fair. That would be like saying that police officers are on power trips, or that coaches coach so they can  re-live their glory days, or that teachers teach because they can't find respectable jobs. It's all crap!

You can't logically make a blanket statement like that. All it takes is one cop who says "yeah, I like to carry a gun and arrest people" to disprove your statement.

We officiate because we love the sports, we love the kids and we want to do our part to promote the spirit of interscholastic sports.

Once again, you're imposing your personal motivations onto a large group of diverse people. It's like saying everyone in the Army joins to serve their country. Neither is true.

Do we play favorites? Certainly NOT. When I am calling a basketball game, the only thing that I am focused on is the action on the court.

Once again, you're giving your personal practices and motivations as the rule. I respect your passions, but not everyone in your field shares them. I'm sure some do. Maybe most do, but not all to be sure.

And before you say it, yes, I've offciated a game before. I'll never do it again! LOL!

I could care less who boos or who yells at me. I've never gotten mad at a crowd or coach and then purposefully called fouls against a particular team.

You either have the patience of Job, are a living saint, or haven't officiated many games. I do not mean that as an insult. Please don't take it that way.

Also, please don't assume that all officials feel the same way you do. Many DO have instances in their past when they became angry.

The problem with officiating basketball is that you have three (or two depending upon HS or MS) officials on the floor, running up and down, maintaining control of the game, and you have hundreds of wanna-be officials sitting in the stand scrutinizing every move that you make.

We aren't perfect. We never will be. So get over it.

If you are in a position where one or two bad/missed calls will cost you the game, you don't deserve to win!  :D

On those points, I agree with you 100%.