Opinion on Referees

Muffin_Man11

Why not name the bad refs?  I think there are some very good refs, but those that aren't doing well need to be identified.  Maybe that will make them get their act together.  Or maybe it will let them re-think WHY they are a ref to start with.  I seriously doubt they are there for the money, so I'm going to assume it's for the love of the game... but, like anything else, time can make them get a little lazy or burnt out.  IF they're not there for the right reason, then maybe they should re-think what they are doing...so, naming a bad ref isn't necessarily a negative thing.

825625851[/snapback]

Have you ever tried to ref? It is a lose/lose situation. I think we need to cut them a little slack. Take it up with your referee assignor, or better with the ref himself (but not after the game).

I don't think there is a need to name names. I think the same thing can be accomplished without it, and it shows a little more class.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GraceDAD
I have to ask, did you ever play soccer? As I said, I've played in hundreds of games, reffed at least 100 rec games and seen hundreds more. I sit in the stands or play on the field and listen to parents who don't have a clue regarding rules bellowing from the stands and have never played the game. All they know is that someone took the ball away from their Johnny and there must have been a foul because Johnny is such a good player. I'll always remember the fan sitting in the stands aleast 100 yards away ball screaming at the top of his lungs that the referree who was 10 feet away from the foul had it wrong.

825625865[/snapback]

Bluesoccer....I think you missed my point. It doesn't have to do with whether "Johhny" had the ball taken away or not. MY point was that it is not necessarily a bad thing to identify poor officials if only to keep them ACCOUNTABLE. I'll say it again, I believe refs do what they do because they love the sport of soccer, but sometimes people can get burnt out or forget why they became a Ref to start with.

Guest GraceDAD
You will not be able to name them on here. Naming a ref on here is not appropriate because it is solely your opinion and may be based on a particularly difficult loss, not fact. The definition of a bad ref, to many, is whoever the ref was the last time they lost.

If you want them identified then go up to them or their supervisor and let them know who you are and how you feel. Then both parties will have been identified.

825625883[/snapback]

That's fine. I have no problem with your rules regarding the boards. My statement about naming a poor ref was more of a hypothetical response than anything else. I don't see anything wrong with trying to have someone be accountable for the way they act on the field....thanks

Guest GraceDAD
Have you ever tried to ref?  It is a lose/lose situation.  I think we need to cut them a little slack.  Take it up with your referee assignor, or better with the ref himself (but not after the game). 

I don't think there is a need to name names.  I think the same thing can be accomplished without it, and it shows a little more class.

825625892[/snapback]

I agree with you that most times it is a lose/lose situation, but I also think that the majority of the Refs TRY to do the best they can. I also agree that everyone can and will make mistakes. That is to be expected. But, sometimes, you can come across some that for whatever reason (burnt out, tired, whatever) have lost what it takes to be a good Ref. In such cases, I don't think a little accountablility is a bad thing at all.

You will not be able to name them on here. Naming a ref on here is not appropriate because it is solely your opinion and may be based on a particularly difficult loss, not fact. The definition of a bad ref, to many, is whoever the ref was the last time they lost.

If you want them identified then go up to them or their supervisor and let them know who you are and how you feel. Then both parties will have been identified.

825625883[/snapback]

I know that everyone witnessing the ND-Grace game agrees. The ref IS NOT why we lost, but he made horrible calls for both sides. he was lazy, perhaps due to his figure, and wasnt getting in position to make the calls.

The great news is that with the growth in popularity of soccer, there will be many more potential refs who not only know the rules but have played the sport for years and have that perspective in addition to knowledge of the rules.

I'm concerned that one of these days we're going to lose an out of shape ref to a heart attack. I know CPR, but man, would it slow down a game!

Most of you are showing that you have no clue what goes into officiating regardless of the sport. All TSSAA officials are held accountable. They have supervisors both at the local level as well as the state. They do not and should not have to answer to players or parents. How do you think referees get slected for tournaments or state? Coaches and/or their supervisors select them. Bottom line - naming names is completely inappropriate.

Edited by TDJ85