Will Tyler Smith go to UT now?

Gerry Bertier

:blink: Give me a break. Pearl is supposed to keep Peterson's recruits with a month of recruiting? There was no guarantee that Gordon was coming anyway and Buzz lost 2 of last years recruits as soon as Lebo got a decent job. I liked Buzz Peterson and I wished at the time that he'd gotten another year to win........not because of Tyler Smith or Jamont Gordon. The sorted truth of AAU programs and sneaker companies brokering for these kids services will be told before all is said and done. I for one, would not want my university (I got a sheepskin from UTK Bertier, what you got?) to cow down to high school athletes, shoe companies and AAU wannabes.

You have no idea what kind of recruiting skills Pearl has and I don't either. I'm willing to give him more than a month. I can't believe you'd ever call youself a UT fan.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P  Give me a break.  Pearl is supposed to keep Peterson's recruits with a month of recruiting?  There was no guarantee that Gordon was coming anyway and Buzz lost 2 of last years recruits as soon as Lebo got a decent job.  I liked Buzz Peterson and I wished at the time that he'd gotten another year to win........not because of Tyler Smith or Jamont Gordon.  The sorted truth of AAU programs and sneaker companies brokering for these kids services will be told before all is said and done.  I for one, would not want my university (I got a sheepskin from UTK Bertier, what you got?) to cow down to high school athletes, shoe companies and AAU wannabes.

You have no idea what kind of recruiting skills Pearl has and I don't either.  I'm willing to give him more than a month.  I can't believe you'd ever call youself a UT fan.

825652627[/snapback]

But you want your University to hire a coach who has had previous NCAA scandals under his belt? We already have enough off the field problems up in Knoxville with it seeming like Fulmer visiting the county jail almost everyday. All I am saying there were better available coaches we could of went after.

I can hardly blame the player or the coach in these situations. These teenagers develop a really, close personal relationship with the coaches and they're going to automatically have second thoughts when their pal has to leave. I also don't think you can expect a coach to come in and in just a few weeks, mend the hurt feelings and become the players friend. And unless he's a franchise player, the coach doesn't need to do too much catering to theh player or his family.

What NCAA scandals? He turned in someone that was cheating. I notice all of a sudden it's 'my university' when we're talking about negative press. I suppose it's 'your university' when UT is winning. You're the one that said you were a big UT fan. Hypocrit.

Name a coach we could have gotten to come to UT? It was Pearl, Anderson from UAB and the guy from Charlotte. That's it. Bobby Knight was never coming to Knoxville and they weren't going to lure any other 'name' coach with the financial constraints the basketball program has. Pearl was recommended by the highest profile basketball player in UT history who is also an NBA GM. That sure carries more weight with me than the Fairview peanut gallery.

Tyler Smith will land at whatever program that will take Chuck Benson in a package deal. Hide and watch.

What NCAA scandals?  He turned in someone that was cheating.  I notice all of a sudden it's 'my university' when we're talking about negative press.  I suppose it's 'your university' when UT is winning.  You're the one that said you were a big UT fan.  Hypocrit.

Name a coach we could have gotten to come to UT?  It was Pearl, Anderson from UAB and the guy from Charlotte.  That's it.  Bobby Knight was never coming to Knoxville and they weren't going to lure any other 'name' coach with the financial constraints the basketball program has.  Pearl was recommended by the highest profile basketball player in UT history who is also an NBA GM.  That sure carries more weight with me than the Fairview peanut gallery.

Tyler Smith will land at whatever program that will take Chuck Benson in a package deal.  Hide and watch.

825652767[/snapback]

Only reason I said your university cause apparently you belive I am not a fan. But I guess you don't know the facts when it comes to your boy Bruce. He framed Illinois in a recruiting scandal in which Illinois was cleared of all charges. Bruce didn't get the recruit he wanted so he tried to bring down the school who got the recruit. This link explains the story right here Bruce Pearl Scandal

A coach I thought UT should have went after was the head men's basketball coach at the other UT Rick Barnes. Barnes is from NC, has coached in the tough Big 12 conference the last 7 years. Has won 70% of his games at Texas and averaging 23 wins a year. He has the resume and is a proven winner on the major division I stage. He is able to adapt to his players strengths and would of been a great fit at UT.

Tyler will go to prep school and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to another conference besides the SEC. ksgovols, you are one of those UT fans that when other fans disagree with you, you have to start degrading them. Makes the program look great there.

:o Give us some links to TiderInsider and you'll be 2/3rds of the way to the triple crown..........I'm sure Delmonico has done something........to somebody. I still don't see where Pearl received any NCAA sanctions........which is what you implied.

I don't mind criticism when it's due. I've been around long enough to remember UT 'fans' calling for every head coach or offensive coordinator's head in the past 25 years and we all thought Wade Houston was the 'savior'. We ran DeVoe for this guy who had a top 5 player in tow. Where did that get us? I do not believe criticism is due before the guy has coached his first game. It's funny how you can't find a Branndon Stewart fan these days. When Fulmer benched him for Manning, it was about 50/50 on the talk show circuit about how Phil was playing Manning because of Archie's pull. 'Fans' are fickle.

It will all play out in the wash and one of us will be eating crow. I'm just against piling on before the first jump ball has been tossed up. You're calling it quits before the first half has even been played. When 17 and 18 year olds are calling the shots, 'my university' does have problems. At least there's And One, Europe ball and Marathon Oil teams for all these superstars who think they're the next coming of Jordon. Let's talk in 2 or 3 years.

:o  Give us some links to TiderInsider and you'll be 2/3rds of the way to the triple crown..........I'm sure Delmonico has done something........to somebody.  I still don't see where Pearl received any NCAA sanctions........which is what you implied.

I don't mind criticism when it's due.  I've been around long enough to remember UT 'fans' calling for every head coach or offensive coordinator's head in the past 25 years and we all thought Wade Houston was the 'savior'.  We ran DeVoe for this guy who had a top 5 player in tow.  Where did that get us?  I do not believe criticism is due before the guy has coached his first game.  It's funny how you can't find a Branndon Stewart fan these days.  When Fulmer benched him for Manning, it was about 50/50 on the talk show circuit about how Phil was playing Manning because of Archie's pull.  'Fans' are fickle.

It will all play out in the wash and one of us will be eating crow.  I'm just against piling on before the first jump ball has been tossed up.  You're calling it quits before the first half has even been played.  When 17 and 18 year olds are calling the shots, 'my university' does have problems.  At least there's And One, Europe ball and Marathon Oil teams for all these superstars who think they're the next coming of Jordon.  Let's talk in 2 or 3 years.

825653099[/snapback]

So you are putting words in my mouth now. Pearl is a shady character, history proves that. I love how old-timers think their opinion is the only opinion cause they have been around longer and were supoorting the team before I was even born. I may be young but I am just as knowledgable about UT athletics as you are, cause unlike many fans I like to know what MY team was about before I was around. All I know is that their were better qualified coaches that Hamilton and UT could have interviewed or persuaded to come. They let Ernie Grunfeld make the decision, rather than people who work day in and day out in the UT athletic dept. Yes Ernie was a great player at UT and has done a great job with the Wizards as a GM, but he shouldn't have a say in what is best for UT men's basketball, but I forgot his money will stop rolling in if they dont listen to him.

Tyler is going to show UT what they missed out on and it is going to make my stomach turn just as Ron Mercer did why he was at Kentucky.

But you want your University to hire a coach who has had previous NCAA scandals under his belt? We already have enough off the field problems up in Knoxville with it seeming like Fulmer visiting the county jail almost everyday. All I am saying there were better available coaches we could of went after.

825652710[/snapback]

Whose words are those Gerry? The only thing old age gives me over you is experience and from that wisdom. This ain't my first rodeo. You don't know beans about UT's athletic department. Nor do I. I can read newspapers with the best of them and listen to Vol Calls every week! If Rick Barnes were available and interested, don't you think the consulting firm that turned over the Bobby Knight rock would have had an inkling? If Ernie's got his thumb on the UT administration, why isn't his son playing at Tennessee?

You've just got sour grapes because a kid from your district isn't going to UT. You get some, you lose some. For every Tyler Smith or Jamont Gordon or Ron Mercer, there's a Marcus Haislip or Fred Jenkins or Vincent Yarbrough. Nobody hits on 100%. For Tyler's sake, isn't he better off knowing his coach is gone before he plays his freshman year rather than afterwards? If he was going to transfer after a year on the hill, he's just as gone and UT is better off to know whether he's with them or not before he comes IMO.

good point....we all wanted Buzz out when he was here but now that he is gone im startin to think he should have stayed. he was VERY close to turnin the program around. if he was still the coach UT would have gotten Tyler Smith and most likely Jamont Gordon this year, and next year UT was at the top of the list for Pierre Niles, Willie Kemp, and Wayne Chism. those 5 guys would have filled every position in the starting lineup and 2 or 3 years from now they would be ready to make a run in the tourney. it will take Pearl longer to turn things around since he will be starting from scratch after next season but we all know that you have to succeed right away to survive in this game....i wouldnt be surprised if they get impatient and give Pearl the boot when he is on the verge of success, much like they did with Peterson.

by the way, i dont know about Niles and Chism but UT isnt even in Kemp's top 5 anymore.

825652462[/snapback]

read this about Niles today and thought i should add it on...

When Buzz Peterson was let go from Tennessee, the Volunteers also feel out of the top spot for Memphis big man Pierre Niles. The burly 6-foot-8 power forward from Ridgeway High School said he was "basically committed" to the SEC school, as he puts it, but now that Peterson and his staff are out, the Volunteers no longer hold the top spot in Niles' eyes.

Now sitting on the list with UT is Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State. "There are so many more," Niles says. "I like a lot of schools right now. I'm looking. When they let Buzz go, I knew things were going to change."

read this about Niles today and thought i should add it on...

When Buzz Peterson was let go from Tennessee, the Volunteers also feel out of the top spot for Memphis big man Pierre Niles. The burly 6-foot-8 power forward from Ridgeway High School said he was "basically committed" to the SEC school, as he puts it, but now that Peterson and his staff are out, the Volunteers no longer hold the top spot in Niles' eyes.

Now sitting on the list with UT is Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State. "There are so many more," Niles says. "I like a lot of schools right now. I'm looking. When they let Buzz go, I knew things were going to change."

825653712[/snapback]

It looks like our dreams of seeing the likes of Gordon, Smith, Chsim, Niles and Kemp all in orange will never take place. The Bruce Pearl era is already off to a rocky start and you have to think recruits are looking at how Hamilton and Pearl are handling the Tyler Smith situation cause right now it is getting real ugly. This story ran in the Tennessean today- Smith regrets he won't join Vols '05 class

Everybody talks about the recruits "relationship with the coach" and how that effects a kid when a new coach is brought in. But, Pearl called Tyler as soon as he got the job and said Tyler was da man and that he would come in and play right away for him. What exactly did he want the new coach to say that would have caused him to keep his commitment? There is no way, NO WAY, to blame Pearl for not being able to keep Smith and Gordon when they were not his recruits. I give much more credence to the fact that Lofton very quickly decided to stay as soon as he talked to Pearl.