Changes for next year

silverpie

Not all the numbers are in yet, but we have a dozen schools so far that are reporting a 20% or more change in enrollment, which means they could be moved in the new term.

Rising enrollments:

Grace Christian of Knoxville and Cloudland, but neither of those reached 2A size.

Signal Mountain, goin' to double-A (football subclass 3A). Where they go is an interesting issue. Their rivalry game is Red Bank, but that district already has eight. Guessing District 7 for the Iggles.

The other three are all AAA already (Hardin Valley, West Creek, and Science Hill). West Creek comes up short of the 6A cutoff, and the other two were over it anyway.

Falling enrollments:

Three tiny schools (Tennessee Temple, Bachman Academy, and Clinch) get tinier. I'm not sure TT is long for this world...

Grace Baptist (Chattanooga) takes a less severe drop, but enough to move them to the 1A football subclass even with the multiplier.

Two Memphis schools took big losses. Mitchell drops all the way to 3A territory, while Booker T. Washington becomes 2A. Predicting Mitchell to go to the Delta League (16-AA).

Edited by silverpie

Three tiny schools (Tennessee Temple, Bachman Academy, and Clinch) get tinier. I'm not sure TT is long for this world...

TN Temple hasn't had a football team since 2007. They started there FB program in 2003 went (3-3 - Might have been a JV schedule) the next year was (7-2) and (6-5) in 2005. They went (12-1) in 2006 lost to Friendship Christian in the State Title game (54-7). The rumors started and most of the talent left they ended up going (2-8) in 2007. The rumors turned up true and they shut the football program down.

TN Temple hasn't had a football team since 2007. They started there FB program in 2003 went (3-3 - Might have been a JV schedule) the next year was (7-2) and (6-5) in 2005. They went (12-1) in 2006 lost to Friendship Christian in the State Title game (54-7). The rumors started and most of the talent left they ended up going (2-8) in 2007. The rumors turned up true and they shut the football program down.

True--I was wondering if they'd continue to exist at all. Unfortunately, there's nowhere to put a post like this that relates to >1 sport...

Not all the numbers are in yet, but we have a dozen schools so far that are reporting a 20% or more change in enrollment, which means they could be moved in the new term.

Rising enrollments:

Grace Christian of Knoxville and Cloudland, but neither of those reached 2A size.

Signal Mountain, goin' to double-A (football subclass 3A). Where they go is an interesting issue. Their rivalry game is Red Bank, but that district already has eight. Guessing District 7 for the Iggles.

The other three are all AAA already (Hardin Valley, West Creek, and Science Hill). West Creek comes up short of the 6A cutoff, and the other two were over it anyway.

Falling enrollments:

Grace Baptist (Chattanooga) takes a less severe drop, but enough to move them to the 1A football subclass even with the multiplier.

Two Memphis schools took big losses. Mitchell drops all the way to 3A territory, while Booker T. Washington becomes 2A. Predicting Mitchell to go to the Delta League (16-AA).

Sounds like you might be one of them NashVegas fellers. When the Screamin' Eagles move up, the Troll thinks you'uns should reshuffle 6AA and 7AA so they's seven teams in each district. All fourteen is close enough together that travel wouldn't be too bad.

By the way, I'z hopin' we might just move on up to 4A. :roflolk:

Red Bank and especially Hixson were considered for 7AA, I'm told, but both wanted to stay Chattanooga. CCS and Notre Dame were a good match. Tyner, Howard, Brainerd, old rivals, were also good matches. I'd say they figured SM would be AA before too. I'm surprised East Hamilton isn't moving up to AAA after adding a senior class.

http://www.hcde.org/media-room/hcde-in-the-news/enrollment-up-by-500-students

Chattanooga 2010 five-day enrollments. Click 2010 high school to open a PDF. East Hamilton, according to this, went from 771 to 1052. Chattanooga Central had 1044 two years ago when the classes were redone and managed to slide into AA. It will probably be close for EH.

I don't know Marion's enrollment but they were right at the A/AA divide last time. They wouldn't change after 2 year due to no 20 percent change but maybe they will be back in AA after the current 4 year period ends. That would even out things too.

Edited by Indian

Red Bank and especially Hixson were considered for 7AA, I'm told, but both wanted to stay Chattanooga. CCS and Notre Dame were a good match. Tyner, Howard, Brainerd, old rivals, were also good matches. I'd say they figured SM would be AA before too. I'm surprised East Hamilton isn't moving up to AAA after adding a senior class.

http://www.hcde.org/media-room/hcde-in-the-news/enrollment-up-by-500-students

Chattanooga 2010 five-day enrollments. Click 2010 high school to open a PDF. East Hamilton, according to this, went from 771 to 1052. Chattanooga Central had 1044 two years ago when the classes were redone and managed to slide into AA. It will probably be close for EH.

I don't know Marion's enrollment but they were right at the A/AA divide last time. They wouldn't change after 2 year due to no 20 percent change but maybe they will be back in AA after the current 4 year period ends. That would even out things too.

As I said, all the numbers aren't in to the TSSAA yet. But even the 1030 figure would not be enough to move them up. Nor is it a 20% change--their 9-10 enrollment at the previous reclassification was doubled, so their baseline enrollment is 948. They'd have to hit 1,138 to trigger a move up.

And Marion County has reported 499, an increase of five students from two years ago. Here's where my data is coming from: http://www.tssaa.org/newenrollments.cfm

Oh, btw, MountainTroll, I went to high school just above Signal Mountain Road (although I lived, and still do, in East Brainerd).

As I said, all the numbers aren't in to the TSSAA yet. But even the 1030 figure would not be enough to move them up. Nor is it a 20% change--their 9-10 enrollment at the previous reclassification was doubled, so their baseline enrollment is 948. They'd have to hit 1,138 to trigger a move up.

And Marion County has reported 499, an increase of five students from two years ago. Here's where my data is coming from: http://www.tssaa.org/newenrollments.cfm

Oh, btw, MountainTroll, I went to high school just above Signal Mountain Road (although I lived, and still do, in East Brainerd).

Good stuff with the link, I'd been wondering about a few already turning in their numbers. Surprised, but not surprised with the economy, Notre Dame is down to 415 before their multiplier total. It helps explain their football struggles.

Why was EH's enrollment doubled, weren't they lacking only one senior class?

I wish they'd go back to two-year classifications and forget any 20 percent nonsense. Either a team is above the limit, or not.

Edited by Indian
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff with the link, I'd been wondering about a few already turning in their numbers. Surprised, but not surprised with the economy, Notre Dame is down to 415 before their multiplier total. It helps explain their football struggles.

Why was EH's enrollment doubled, weren't they lacking only one senior class?

I wish they'd go back to two-year classifications and forget any 20 percent nonsense. Either a team is above the limit, or not.

The baseline was 2008, when I think they only went up to 10th. If they actually had 11th, then the multiplier was 1 1/3. But either way, it was adjusted to a four-year basis, and that was my point.

And Marion County has reported 499, an increase of five students from two years ago. Here's where my data is coming from: http://www.tssaa.org...enrollments.cfm

So........Yur one of them fellers. 'Recon that's why you's so good at sipherin'. :roflol:

The Troll don't know much 'bout this stuff. Does Signal go up next year or 2012? Does you know the cut-off 'tween 3A and 4A? Can Signal play up to 4A? Sure would like to dodge that emoticon-char-044.gif:roflolk:

Edited by MountainTroll

Silverpie, correct this if needed but it should be about 800 for the 3A/4A cutoff. Signal can move up to 4A playoffs if they want but would still remain AA in the regular season. If East Hamilton doesn't move up it would still be 5 teams in 7AA and 8 in 6AA, before any move by Signal.

Whatcha think about this? Put Red Bank, Hixson, and Signal in 7AA and move CCS to 6AA. Seven teams in each division and some good rivalries.

Whatcha think about this? Put Red Bank, Hixson, and Signal in 7AA and move CCS to 6AA. Seven teams in each division and some good rivalries.

Interesting thought, essentially dividing those schools north/south instead of east/west... but I'm not sure whether that radical a change (crossing the region boundary) would be considered in a mid-period reclassification. This would also needlessly scramble the connection between the AA and the A-AA districts.

The 3A cutoff is somewhere between 786 (East Lit) and 825 (Marshall County), so Signal Mountain with 619 is definitely not forced to go 4A. They could choose to play up, just as Hixson does now.