Big Games in Memphis - Week 4

kwc

Not sure if anyone has heard about the Millington vs Bartlett game yet..... Before I step onto my soap box, I want to preface my statements by saying that I have always respected HS Officials and the work that they put in. 99 times out of 100 they are giving their all in an unbiased fashion. However, The Millington vs Bartlett game was that 1 time out of 100 that an one official was not fair and had personal feelings against one side.  Millington had a total of 225 penalty yards in their 30-7 victory over Bartlett. Does anyone out there realize how hard that is to overcome? 225 penalty yards? The terrible thing about it is, the official and possible officials turned a blind eye to extremely questionable play by bartlett defenders that ultimately caused two injuries to Millington players. 

The Bartlett coaching staff finally called the game with a little over 1 minute left. Coach McFerran did a great job in waving the white flag, If he did not, someone was going to end up getting seriously hurt. The Millington players were over frustrated with the play of the Bartlett defenders and a huge brawl seemed imminent if the Coaches didn't step in. The officials, who should have been in control, did nothing to prevent the potential chaos from happening. Many of the 225 penalty yards against Millington were flags thrown well after the play was over and often times were not explainable even when the coaching staff asked for clarification. Millington head football coach Chris Michael was thrown out of the game in the fourth quarter for getting on the officials for not calling a personal foul on an obvious spearing penalty that resulted in QB being knocked out of the game.  Another questionable hit earlier in the game resulted in starting running back Keno Taylor being hurt and lost for the remainder of the game. His status for this week and for the rest of the year is up in the air. No penalty was called on this play. The TSSAA should step in and suspend the entire officiating crew and fire the one official that made the game personal.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone has heard about the Millington vs Bartlett game yet..... Before I step onto my soap box, I want to preface my statements by saying that I have always respected HS Officials and the work that they put in. 99 times out of 100 they are giving their all in an unbiased fashion. However, The Millington vs Bartlett game was that 1 time out of 100 that an one official was not fair and had personal feelings against one side.  Millington had a total of 225 penalty yards in their 30-7 victory over Bartlett. Does anyone out there realize how hard that is to overcome? 225 penalty yards? The terrible thing about it is, the official and possible officials turned a blind eye to extremely questionable play by bartlett defenders that ultimately caused two injuries to Millington players. 

The Bartlett coaching staff finally called the game with a little over 1 minute left. Coach McFerran did a great job in waving the white flag, If he did not, someone was going to end up getting seriously hurt. The Millington players were over frustrated with the play of the Bartlett defenders and a huge brawl seemed imminent if the Coaches didn't step in. The officials, who should have been in control, did nothing to prevent the potential chaos from happening. Many of the 225 penalty yards against Millington were flags thrown well after the play was over and often times were not explainable even when the coaching staff asked for clarification. Millington head football coach Chris Michael was thrown out of the game in the fourth quarter for getting on the officials for not calling a personal foul on an obvious spearing penalty that resulted in QB being knocked out of the game.  Another questionable hit earlier in the game resulted in starting running back Keno Taylor being hurt and lost for the remainder of the game. His status for this week and for the rest of the year is up in the air. No penalty was called on this play. The TSSAA should step in and suspend the entire officiating crew and fire the one official that made the game personal.

Rob_M:

I'm in agreement about most officials. However, it's been my observation that the refs are throwing more flags across the state this season. I initially thought it was the refs just throwing flags against Whitehaven. Then I noticed that it wasn't just Whitehaven. I admit, there are times where a crew may have an official who isn't up to par, for whatever reason, on any particular night. I'm remembering one official in particular in the Whitehaven vs Central game earlier this season. By and large, as you would agree, most do a decent job and are fair and impartial.

It sounds like things just got totally out of hand. I'd love to hear from others who attended the Bartlett/Millington game. I think things like that ultimately fall on the man in the white hat. Most try to allow coaches to coach their young men, as far as, managing emotions ... but a series of bad calls, or questionable calls, or calls that appear to not make sense, can turn the complextion of a game ugly ... quick, fast, and in a hurry. It's unfortunate that this game took such a bad turn.

What is the protocol for something of this nature? Does it take an official request for an inquiry from one of the coaches involved? Do you think that this is something that any of the coaches involved would want to pursue?

225 yards of penaties sounds extremely excessive to me!

Edited by kwc

BGIM Week 4 Results:

t-1) Baylorbigdog1976 .......... 11-1 ... 0.971 (91.7%)

t-1) Rob_M ......................... 11-1

t-1) Tuskegee21 .................. 11-1

t-4) dannyq ........................ 10-2 ... 0.833 (83.3%)

t-4) BlackhavenSenator ........ 10-2

t-6) Havengrad04 ................. 9-3 ... 0.750 (75%)

t-6) cardsfan ........................ 9-3

t-6) kwc .............................. 9-3

t-6) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 ....... 9-3

t-10) dou .............................. 8-4 ... 0.667 (66.7%)

t-10) TNHSFOOTBALLFAN ........ 8-4

t-10) olddevil ........................ 8-4

t-10) dhstennis ...................... 8-4

t-14) Wingman10 ................... 7-5 ... 0.583 (58.3%)

t-14) pigskinred ..................... 7-5

16) ChrisBurr5555 .................. 5-7 ... 0.417 (41.7%)

Edited by kwc

BGIM Standings after Week 4:

t-1) olddevil ………………………...… 46-10 ... 0.821 (82.1%)

t-1) Cardsfan …………………….…… 46-10

t-3) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 ….....…. 44-12 … 0.786 (78.6%)

t-3) kwc ………....………………..…. 44-12

t-3) Havengrad04 ……………....…… 44-12

t-3) dannyq …………………….....….. 44-12

7) toinemac .................................. 18-5 ... 0.783 (78.3%)*

8) Rob_M …………….…...……...….. 42-14 ... 0.750 (75%)

9) dou …………………………….………….…….. 33-14 … 0.702 (70.2%)**

t-10) pgskinred ……………….…..….. 39-17 … 0.69.6 (69.6%)

t-10) TNHSFOOTBALLFAN ……...… 39-17

t-10) BlackhavenSenator ……....…… 39-17

t-13) Wingman10 ........................... 22-11 … 0.667 (66.7%)***

t-13) BigDave1967 ……………....….. 12-6  ... 0.667 (66.7%)****

15) ChrisBurr555555 ........................ 10-14 .... 0.417 (41.7%)*****

*= only participated in week 0 and week 2

**= missed week 0

***= missed Week 0 and Week 2

****= only participated in week 0 and week 1

*****= missed Weeks 0 through Week 2

Baylorbigdog1967 and Tuskegee21 have only participated in Week 4

Edited by kwc

WELL stated.

BGIM Standings after Week 4:

t-1) olddevil ………………………...… 46-10 ... 0.821 (82.1%)

t-1) Cardsfan …………………….…… 46-10

t-3) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 ….....…. 44-12 … 0.786 (78.6%)

t-3) kwc ………....………………..…. 44-12

t-3) Havengrad04 ……………....…… 44-12

t-3) dannyq …………………….....….. 44-12

7) toinemac .................................. 18-5 ... 0.783 (78.3%)*

8) Rob_M …………….…...……...….. 42-14 ... 0.750 (75%)

9) dou …………………………….………….…….. 33-14 … 0.702 (70.2%)**

t-10) pgskinred ……………….…..….. 39-17 … 0.69.6 (69.6%)

t-10) TNHSFOOTBALLFAN ……...… 39-17

t-10) BlackhavenSenator ……....…… 39-17

t-13) Wingman10 ........................... 22-11 … 0.667 (66.7%)***

t-13) BigDave1967 ……………....….. 12-6  ... 0.667 (66.7%)****

15) ChrisBurr555555 ........................ 10-14 .... 0.417 (41.7%)*****

*= only participated in week 0 and week 2

**= missed week 0

***= missed Week 0 and Week 2

****= only participated in week 0 and week 1

*****= missed Weeks 0 through Week 2

Baylorbigdog1967 and Tuskegee21 have only participated in Week 4

Creepin' on the Come up   :hungry:

BGIM Week 4 Results:

t-1) Baylorbigdog1976 .......... 11-1 ... 0.971 (91.7%)

t-1) Rob_M ......................... 11-1

t-1) Tuskegee21 .................. 11-1

t-4) dannyq ........................ 10-2 ... 0.833 (83.3%)

t-4) BlackhavenSenator ........ 10-2

t-6) Havengrad04 ................. 9-3 ... 0.750 (75%)

t-6) cardsfan ........................ 9-3

t-6) kwc .............................. 9-3

t-6) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 ....... 9-3

t-10) dou .............................. 8-4 ... 0.667 (66.7%)

t-10) TNHSFOOTBALLFAN ........ 8-4

t-10) olddevil ........................ 8-4

t-10) dhstennis ...................... 8-4

t-14) Wingman10 ................... 7-5 ... 0.583 (58.3%)

t-14) pigskinred ..................... 7-5

16) ChrisBurr5555 .................. 5-7 ... 0.417 (41.7%)

(Does the Barry Horowitz self back Pat)