Ref Racism?

randomdudeman

Well this is a serious topic that shoudl be of some concern...but as a fan of today's game between tullahoma and coffee county i was told and a witness of this so called racism. Before the game one of tullahoma's Hispanic players was set to the bench to change his shin gaurds which is all well and good but one ref just took it too far by saying somethign of the nature "those mexicans always where those danged small shingaurds" which in my oppinion is very racist and uncalled for. but thats just what i have to say about it

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is a serious topic that shoudl be of some concern...but as a fan of today's game between tullahoma and coffee county i was told and a witness of this so called racism.  Before the game one of tullahoma's Hispanic players was set to the bench to change his shin gaurds which is all well and good but one ref just took it too far by saying somethign of the nature "those mexicans always where those danged small shingaurds" which in my oppinion is very racist and uncalled for. but thats just what i have to say about it

825634345[/snapback]

That's not racist. It may sound it, but thats what they are called. They are from Mexico, therefore they are Mexicans. We are from America, there for we are American. It's all the same. I don't see the racist in the comment, but his tone of voice might have triggered some suspision of racism, that I don't know.

That's not racist. It may sound it, but thats what they are called. They are from Mexico, therefore they are Mexicans. We are from America, there for we are American. It's all the same. I don't see the racist in the comment, but his tone of voice might have triggered some suspision of racism, that I don't know.

825634354[/snapback]

well the thing is not the word mexicans but why woudl he say that all mexicans wear small shingaurds...honestly how does he know...that woudl be an example of racism

i dont know exactly what was said between the player and ref in question other then what i heard second hand. however, i can personally attest to the fact that after said conversation, the ref vehemently saying "i already told you i didn't make a racist comment. if i did, i'm sorry" as he walked to his starting position. the apology didnt seem to be sincere at all, and was witnessed by most of our team. the fact remains that there should have been NO SITUATION involving the supposed gear worn by a certain race of player. not only is it unethical and very unprofessional, but seriously, how is a player supposed to react to a racial commment from an authority figure? I wont add anything about the refs performane in the game, and neither should anyone else, there is no question about the judgment of the game. the only problem here is the judgement of a player.

First of all Mexicans is not exactly the right term. Hispanics woudl be the right term, mexicans is just the more popular, but anyways, I was at the game as a player and heard most of this talk and i agree with Chappie2. And the comment should have NEVER been said by the ref. But i'm 100% sure he didnt mean anythign by it.

Edited by Bean2005

I believe he also mentioned something about "Those darned Mexicans try to pull that all the time in that league of theirs." From what I witnessed two Hispanic members of Tullahoma who were right in front of him while he was saying these comments were very offended by them.

I was a player right next to the reff when he said it. It's not just that he used the word mexican. It was the tone of his voice, the unnecessity of the comment, and the stereotype of saying osbaldo's race didnt know how to pick out and wear shin gaurds. I asked the reff to stop making racist comments and he incompetently returned my reply with a threat of a yellow card for "mouthing off."

......a reff using his "almight power" to get his way......

Edited by dorman3

it's the truth..all the mexican players i know where TINY shinguards and a lot american kids where those shinguards that cover their entire leg and make me wonder why they don't just wear catcher's gear...it's the truth..maybe not the most appropriate thing to say but it is the truth..and Grace Golden Eagles...you love these topics bout refs don't ya.. ;)

he should wear what he wants its a free country the ref should not even say anything most of them are too stupid and really fat its hispanic not mexican not every one is from mexico ;)

825634827[/snapback]

Their are guidelines for shinguards so he can't just wear what he wants-but I have to seen what I felt was bias towards Hispanic players.