Title 9

peabodymom

It may be important to note that you do not have to get / hire a lawyer to file a Title IX complaint. The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) enforces several federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education (ED), which covers the topic of this thread.

Anyone wishing to file a formal complaint with OCR should submit in writing the following information in a letter or on the Discrimination Complaint Form available from OCR enforcement offices (see listing):

Your name and address (a telephone number where you may be reached during business hours is helpful, but not required);

A general description of the person(s) or class of persons injured by the alleged discriminatory act(s) (names of the injured person(s) are not required);

The name and location of the institution that committed the alleged discriminatory act(s); and

A description of the alleged discriminatory act(s) in sufficient detail to enable OCR to understand what occurred, when it occurred, and the basis for the alleged discrimination (race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age...

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee

Office for Civil Rights, Atlanta Office

U.S. Department of Education

61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Suite 19T70

Atlanta, GA 30303-3104 (404) 562-6350

FAX# (404) 562-6455; TDD (404) 562-6454

Also, complainants may file a complaint with OCR, online, at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/ocr/complaintprocess.html.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think that is fair...if the baseball team worked hard to raise money the softball team should have to do the same...it shouldnt just be given to them...

825636183[/snapback]

Not fair, in the least bit. I'm all about equality, girls having the same privileges as boys, BUT, when the baseball team/parents, etc. work to put up an indoor hitting facility, raising all the money themselves and donating their time and effort...why should it not be theirs? And, in this case, the softball team was asked if they wanted to contribute...they did not. Now, the word "Baseball" has been removed from the outside of the building and the building is used by both baseball/softball. Again, I do support the girls and their programs, but come on, if the baseball program/parents contribute, the girls should as well. Fair is fair.

Not fair, in the least bit.  I'm all about equality, girls having the same privileges as boys, BUT, when the baseball team/parents, etc. work to put up an indoor hitting facility, raising all the money themselves and donating their time and effort...why should it not be theirs?  And, in this case, the softball team was asked if they wanted to contribute...they did not.  Now, the word "Baseball" has been removed from the outside of the building and the building is used by both baseball/softball.  Again, I do support the girls and their programs, but come on, if the baseball program/parents contribute, the girls should as well.  Fair is fair.

825637230[/snapback]

If they want a facility "just for baseball" why dont they buy a piece of land and put it there. Once they put it on school property it should be able to be used for all.

If they want a facility "just for baseball" why dont they buy a piece of land and put it there. Once they put it on school property it should be able to be used for all.

825637263[/snapback]

Hopefully that will be happening in the VERY near future. thumb Again, I don't have a problem with the boys/girls sharing the facility. All I'm saying is the softball team/parents/boosters should have participated in the fundraising and voluntered their time in the construction of the facility. Nothing unfair about that.

I am all for the girls raising money for new facilities. Here is some problems I have with some baseball parents. The lights was paid for by county funds. No lights on girls field. The nice bleachers with brick backstop and pressbox paid for by county funds. No backstop or pressbox for girls field. Nice concession stand and bathroom facilities for baseball field but no concession stand or bathroom for girls field. Girls field is used for lots of other activities but baseball field is never used for other activities. Girls does not want things given to them free they just want what was given to the boys program. As for raising money by softball parents I have raised a great deal. Nobody wants nothing given to them that the baseball program wasn't given. Just the same starting point. Some of the individuals dosen't give girls to must credit for their desire for the game and pull their part. As in my area some teams plays at a local rec fields.

Just for the record. Clarksville girls do have lights, but they are laying on the ground right now and don't seem to be going up anytime soon. Where are the worker's that are getting the lights put up? We love having the lights and I would be nice if we could use them. The girls are excited that they will finally be able to have their parents come and watch them play that normally can't because of having to work until 5:00 on game days. Please get the lights up SOON!!! Before the season is over.

Okay, first I will say that I wish to not get flammed on this board for what I am about to say, so please read the entire post and think about it before replying in anger. Title IX is the biggest load of garbage that I have ever heard of. When I was a high school baseball player, we were not allowed to put up lights, a new fence, or make any renovations to our field with the money that we had raised (on our own), because the ladies' softball team did not have enough money to make renovations as well. However, once both programs had sufficient funds (both raised by themselves), then both programs could start constuction.

If you have ever really looked into Title IX, then you will quickly realize that all it honestly does is ruin sports programs for male athletes. I realize that some people might stop reading at this point, but please read on. The point of Title IX is NOT supposed to be to make the programs equal by holding the boys back, or by cutting the mens' programs. It is SUPPOSED to build up the womens' programs, but it doesn't do that. There needs to be something better in place other than Title IX, because it's hurting the mens' programs, and not really helping the womens' teams at all (across the spectrum).

After I am finished playing college baseball, I am wanting to get into coaching softball. Therefore, I really want to see something put into place that is better than Title IX. The girls aren't being brought up to a higher level, but the boys are being brought down. Title IX is a complete joke in my opinion, because it solves absolutely nothing except for legal reasons to solve financial problems by cutting programs, NOT building new and better ones like it is supposed to do. When I become a softball coach, I want my girls to have what they deserve to have, but I do not want it to come at the expense of the boys' teams. Title IX needs to be revamped, redrawn, or redone. Because whatever they have in place no isn't helping anyone...

Okay, first I will say that I wish to not get flammed on this board for what I am about to say, so please read the entire post and think about it before replying in anger.  Title IX is the biggest load of garbage that I have ever heard of.  When I was a high school baseball player, we were not allowed to put up lights, a new fence, or make any renovations to our field with the money that we had raised (on our own), because the ladies' softball team did not have enough money to make renovations as well.  However, once both programs had sufficient funds (both raised by themselves), then both programs could start constuction.

If you have ever really looked into Title IX, then you will quickly realize that all it honestly does is ruin sports programs for male athletes.  I realize that some people might stop reading at this point, but please read on.  The point of Title IX is NOT supposed to be to make the programs equal by holding the boys back, or by cutting the mens' programs.  It is SUPPOSED to build up the womens' programs, but it doesn't do that.  There needs to be something better in place other than Title IX, because it's hurting the mens' programs, and not really helping the womens' teams at all (across the spectrum).

After I am finished playing college baseball, I am wanting to get into coaching softball.  Therefore, I really want to see something put into place that is better than Title IX.  The girls aren't being brought up to a higher level, but the boys are being brought down.  Title IX is a complete joke in my opinion, because it solves absolutely nothing except for legal reasons to solve financial problems by cutting programs, NOT building new and better ones like it is supposed to do.  When I become a softball coach, I want my girls to have what they deserve to have, but I do not want it to come at the expense of the boys' teams.  Title IX needs to be revamped, redrawn, or redone.  Because whatever they have in place no isn't helping anyone...

825638736[/snapback]

First of all it is not title IX fault boy's programs are being cut. Put that on the budget makers and policy makers. I have a girl softball player and a boy baseball player. I do not want to hurt either program, just an even playing field.

You're right that it's not Title IX's fault that mens' programs are being cut, but programs (at all levels) are being cut in favor of adding new ones for the young women. This is not the fault of Title IX, but cutting the mens' programs is an easier (and cheaper) way to get in compliance with the rule.

You know, I would NEVER go about this title IX thing if I knew it would hurt our boys teams, but at our school it can't hurt them because they already have EVERYTHING! We would not be taking anything from them!

Our football team has a football stadium with a fieldhouse for game night and they have a brand new practice field with a brand new weight room. (which I'm glad they have!)

Our boy's soccer team and our girls soccer team share a field. (that's ok too, even though softball existed at PHS way before those two did)

Our baseball team has a BEAUTIFUL field with lights, concession stand, bleachers, and a brand new score board (which was donated by Burks Beverages).

Our softball team has NOTHING! They have to play at the city park and share the field with the public and the t-ball teams. We have to get it ready at the beginning of the year with NO help from the city. We once asked for help to make repairs to the infield but they refused. We buy ALL the chalk, we drag the field and we maintain all year until our season is over.

There is NO way our school is in compliance with title IX!

Does this sound fair to any of you?