Reaching base on an error?

greenefan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest didyouseethatmessDANG

yes it counts as an at bat but they are not rewarded with a hit ... because it counts as an at bat, it also counts AGAINST their OBP% because they shouldnt have been on base ... so in otherwords, you can go 0-4 reaching 1st base everytime on 4 errors ... likewise, your OBP% will be 0-4

yes it counts as an at bat but they are not rewarded with a hit ... because it counts as an at bat, it also counts AGAINST their OBP% because they shouldnt have been on base ... so in otherwords, you can go 0-4 reaching 1st base everytime on 4 errors ... likewise, your OBP% will be 0-4

825639433[/snapback]

I believe it would help your OB%, however it does not count as a hit and counts as an offical at-bat so therefore it would hurt your Batting Average. So for instance if you batted 5 times and walked once, reached on an error (ROE) once, grounded out once, struck out once and doubled once the stats would be like this:

OB% - # of times you reached base/total # of ABs = 3/5 = .600

The 3 times you reached were- walk, ROE,double

Batting Average- hits/offical AB (offical AB does not include walks, sacrifices

or hit by pitch(HBP)at bats)

=1/4 = .250 (1 hit (double)/ 5-1(walk)= 1/4)

I believe it would help your OB%, however it does not count as a hit and counts as an offical at-bat so therefore it would hurt your Batting Average. So for instance if you batted 5 times and walked once, reached on an error (ROE) once, grounded out once, struck out once and doubled once the stats would be like this:

OB% - # of times you reached base/total # of ABs = 3/5 = .600

The 3 times you reached were- walk, ROE,double

Batting Average- hits/offical AB (offical AB does not include walks, sacrifices

or hit by pitch(HBP)at bats)

=1/4    = .250    (1 hit (double)/ 5-1(walk)= 1/4)

825639459[/snapback]

Good job Booterman!

How is a player's On-Base Percentage (OBP) calculated?

Divide the total number of hits, total Bases on Balls (BB), and total times hit by a pitch (HBP) BY total at bats, total BB, total HBP, and total Sacrifice Flies.

In otherwords, ROE counts AGAINST your OBP% ... i was right ;)

I just looked it up at Baseball Almanac's website for stats and another website and I was in error:

They say OB% is: Hits+Walks+HBP/ At Bats+Walks+HBP+Sac. Flys

You learn something new every day I guess. You would think since this stat is supposed to tell you the % of time you reach base safely that it would not matter how you reached base, but it does so I ask your forgiveness and offer you the wisdom of knowing what OB% is from now on out.

I just looked it up at Baseball Almanac's website for stats and another website and I was in error:

They say OB% is: Hits+Walks+HBP/ At Bats+Walks+HBP+Sac. Flys

You learn something new every day I guess. You would think since this stat is supposed to tell you the % of time you reach base safely that it would not matter how you reached base, but it does so I ask your forgiveness and offer you the wisdom of knowing what OB% is from now on out.

825639485[/snapback]

you are forgiven ... trust me, i would much rather have it the other way but hey, thats baseball.