Best Offensive System

1215college

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryvilles offensive has been excellnet since GQ took over.  They run a splitback 3wr and a shotgun.  It has excelled because of precise routes good runningbacks and QBs

825640994[/snapback]

Three and Four receiver sets with either one or two backs. Spread the field and then balance the run and the pass. Mix in a little option and you will be hard to beat!

Three and Four receiver sets with either one or two backs. Spread the field and then balance the run and the pass. Mix in a little option and you will be hard to beat!

825641037[/snapback]

And then find you some guys who can catch, a real good qb, and while your at it get a running back or two and prepare to get the crap beat out of you. thumb

And then find you some guys who can catch, a real good qb, and while your at it get a running back or two and prepare to get the crap beat out of you. thumb

825641484[/snapback]

It's worked for Maryville for several years, Brentwood, and it seems to work really well in the pros and at the college level. I would dare say half of the schools in Texas are running a three wide-receiver offense! The trick is in knowing how to organize practice so you can work on the passing game! It's like any complex offensive system, if you don't understand it and have the time and patience to "put it in correctly" it won't work!

One thing is for sure, you had better have a good defense!

ELA what do you guys run? I am partial to the option offense from either the split backs or the double wing set. However, most of the teams that are being successful are running some version of the wing-T. In GA there are many of the good teams who are running the wingT also.

It's worked for Maryville for several years, Brentwood, and it seems to work really well in the pros and at the college level. I would dare say half of the schools in Texas are running a three wide-receiver offense! The trick is in knowing how to organize practice so you can work on the passing game! It's like any complex offensive system, if you don't understand it and have the time and patience to "put it in correctly" it won't work!

One thing is for sure, you had better have a good defense!

825641519[/snapback]

I think it works well at those places because they are signing qb's to south carolina etc. Their talent base is just a tad bit better than most folks. Maryville also won the state running the wingt if I remember correctly, and back in the 70's they won the state running the option I think. Its just whatever the coach believes in, but in my honest opinion 95 percent of teams in tennessee don't have the folks to run these style offenses and besides that its boring as crap to watch. <_<

IT'S NOT THE PLAYS. IT IS THE PLAYERS! If my O's are better than your X's it doesn't matter what you run. An offensive system should be designed to get the best people on the field and get the ball toyour best players. I hate seeing coaches run the same old system because that is all they know (i.e. wing-T, spread). But I sure do love playig against those teams!

IT'S NOT THE PLAYS.  IT IS THE PLAYERS! If my O's are better than your X's it doesn't matter what you run.  An offensive system should be designed to get the best people on the field and get the ball toyour best players.  I hate seeing coaches run the same old system because that is all they know (i.e. wing-T, spread).  But I sure do love playig against those teams!

825641594[/snapback]

If its the players then Mitchell and Carver should have a lock on 2A, and Melrose would kick Maryville's aspirin bottle. I agree somewhat with you, but in my observations i've noticed that good coaches stay with what they know, young coaches and not so good coaches go with the fashionable, whats hip, offenses that supposedly promise the ultimate exploitation of any defense. <_<

DearoldDad I think you make a great point. Coaches run what they know beause... It IS what they know. Would you want someone that could not do basic math teaching your child calculus?? Every coach has a philosophy and they spend many years refining and developing it. They put the players in the best position to help them win. I know as a head coach, who runs the option by the way, would not try and become a spread throw it around coach. For a few reasons. In my opinion 1. I do not know enough about it to be effective at running it, what I mean by that is teaching all the QB mechanics, route progressions etc. 2. On philosophy I feel you must run the football and play good D to win championships. 3. It puts too much pressure on your defense. As a former D-Coordinator, 3 and outs are tuff on a D especially if you are not taking much time off the clock! You tend to give the opponent many more possessions IMO. Finally as I have coached against passing teams in the past they seem to me to be more passive than a running team. What I mean is they are not the physical hit you in the mouth teams like you see with a predominately running team. This is just my way of thinking and what I have found out in all my years of coaching is that there is many ways to "skin a cat" as the ole saying goes. So I am not putting down any offensive system I just prefer the option as my primary offense. We will still win our games on D though!