Elizabethton Cyclones

coachh17

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Lady Cyclones.  The Lady Cyclones seem to have worked hard to be playing good ball at the right time.  It should be very interesting in Mountain City Monday.

825667148[/snapback]

Yes should be interesting... Comes down to Unicoi and the Cyclones again... Good luck to both teams...

Cyclone season ends in 8-7 extra inning loss to Johnson County. As has been the problem most of the season, errors, 8 of them, did them in. All but maybe one were infield errors. Four errors in the first inning alone, led to four runs. To their credit, the cyclones battled back to within one, at 4-3 in the fifth. Three more Johnson County runs reestablished their lead at 7-3, the the cyclones stormed back with four runs in the seventh to tie the game. Smith got Johnson Co out in the seventh and Elizabethton put two on to open the 8th, but, with the heart of the order up, made three outs to end the threat. Errors did them in in the bottom of the inning with consecutive errors at second base to open the inning and then a walk to load the bases. A single then ended the game. Robinson and Smith both pitched well enough to win. The cyclone hitting came around toward the end of the season, but the error bug never quite went away. Infield errors were killers all season long. They only lose one senior and should be a force next year if they work on their fielding!!

Sorry to see the season end earlier than hoped. Obviously, in a game so dominated by pitching , defense is always critical. Many of these kids were great defensive players earlier in their careers, but position changes are always tough adjustments to make, and as I have stated before, several outstanding players now ply their trade at other schools or walk the halls of EHS. There is always next year, and with some work and some luck this group can still reach the state.

Sorry to see the season end earlier than hoped. Obviously, in a game so dominated by pitching , defense is always critical. Many of these kids were great defensive players earlier in their careers, but position changes are always tough adjustments to make, and as I have stated before, several outstanding players now ply their trade at other schools or walk the halls of EHS.  There is always next year, and with some work and some luck this group can still reach the state.

825672073[/snapback]

Some luck and a lot of hard work. Seems like the girls want to win but avoid the work it takes to get there. I can't think of any of the several players that ply there trade elsewhere or walk the halls playing the positions that killed the cyclones this year.

Errors Errors and more Errors killed them!

The Cyclones had a very good hitting team this year but errors did kill them. A lot of the errors that occurred were by players who have been playing those positions since middle school. No excuse for them - they just never learned the fundamentals correctly. EHS's feeder program has never been adequate and it's hard to start teaching the girls once they reach high school age. I was told by the parent of one of the girls that left middle school to attend a different high school that the reason was that their self confidence had been torn apart and so they decided to try something different.

EHS did finish 3rd in the district in extra innings and the girls played hard against a good Johnson County team. They should hold their heads high and come back ready to fight next year.

The conference this year was very strong with a lot of games going into extra innings. I'm glad to see softball picking up in this area.

Good luck to Unicoi and Johnson County in the Regions.

Does anybody know who made the all tourney and all conference teams?

The Cyclones had a very good hitting team this year but errors did kill them.  A lot of the errors that occurred were by players who have been playing those positions since middle school.  No excuse for them - they just never learned the fundamentals correctly.  EHS's feeder program has never been adequate and it's hard to start teaching the girls once they reach high school age.  I was told by the parent of one of the girls that left middle school to attend a different high school that the reason was that their self confidence had been torn apart and so they decided to try something different.

EHS did finish 3rd in the district in extra innings and the girls played hard against a good Johnson County team.  They should hold their heads high and come back ready to fight next year.

The conference this year was very strong with a lot of games going into extra innings.  I'm glad to see softball picking up in this area.

Good luck to Unicoi and Johnson County in the Regions.

Does anybody know who made the all tourney and all conference teams?

825672715[/snapback]

Brilliant first time post! It is thinking like that that prevents the Cyclones from reaching their full potential. The current Cyclone Sophomores and a couple of the Freshmen went 18-0 three seasons ago including 3 victories over Jessica Mason and Unicoi County. The starting infield of Pietrowski, Oliver, Jones, and Nave made no errors in 18 games, none! The foundation was laid and the pieces were in place. Then politics reared its head, and not a victory over Unicoi since. I believe Coach Hardin will lead this team to greater heights the next two seasons. He just had to clear the mine-field first.