Eligibility Question

hotrod471

If an 8th grader attends a private school that has middle/high school in same building and that 8th grader plays on the varsity baseball team, then the 8th grader transfers to a public high school that they are zoned for in the same city starting 9th grade. Question, does the player have to sit out one year of baseball because of the transfer, or is he eligible to play, because technically, 8th grade is considered middle school and is not bound by high school eligibility requirements. I have heard both and just wonder if anyone knows for sure.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If an 8th grader attends a private school that has middle/high school in same building and that 8th grader plays on the varsity baseball team, then the 8th grader transfers to a public high school that they are zoned for in the same city starting 9th grade.  Question, does the player have to sit out one year of baseball because of the transfer, or is he eligible to play, because technically, 8th grade is considered middle school and is not bound by high school eligibility requirements.  I have heard both and just wonder if anyone knows for sure.

825649510[/snapback]

1) First, 8th grade is bound by high school elgibility requirements.

2) Second, he would have 3 years of elgibility remaining whether he plays 9th , 10th, and 11th grades or 10th , 11th, and 12th grade.

3) You cannot play 5 years of high school varsity athletics in any sport.

4) This is exactly why parents need to be sure of rules when they take students out of the public school system and then for whatever reason want to put them back into public schools. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

1)  First, 8th grade is bound by high school elgibility requirements.

2)  Second, he would have 3 years of elgibility remaining whether he plays 9th ,    10th, and 11th grades or 10th , 11th, and 12th grade. 

3)  You cannot play 5 years of high school varsity athletics in any sport.

4)  This is exactly why parents need to be sure of rules when they take students out of the public school system and then for whatever reason want to put them back into public schools.  The grass is not always greener on the other side.

825649527[/snapback]

I don't understand your #3 statement. If he stays, he could play for 5 years total, so I am assuming then that you mean if he transfers, then he would only have three years left, for a total of four years of varsity. Correct?

I don't understand your #3 statement.  If he stays, he could play for 5 years total, so I am assuming then that you mean if he transfers, then he would only have three years left, for a total of four years of varsity.  Correct?

825649532[/snapback]

You are correct, as long as he stays where he is then he can play till his senior year.

2)  Second, he would have 3 years of elgibility remaining whether he plays 9th ,    10th, and 11th grades or 10th , 11th, and 12th grade. 

4)  This is exactly why parents need to be sure of rules when they take students out of the public school system and then for whatever reason want to put them back into public schools.  The grass is not always greener on the other side.

825649527[/snapback]

You can play 5 years of HS baseball. You are incorrect. I know because I did play 5 years of HS baseball. A lot of small single A schools that are k-12 are allowed to have 8th graders on their varsity team. I played 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. Unless the rules have changed.

825649527[/snapback]

Courtside I hate to dispute you here...but you have no idea what you are talking about....

An eighth grader can play varsity athletics if that grade is located within the same building as the High School grades.... They can have five years of elegibility.... If an eighth grader plays varsity sports they then have a varsity record and will have to meet all TSSAA transfer guidelines.... In other words if there isnt a change of residency then they would have to sit out a year.....

I have seen this done many times in smaller rural schools and private schools...

I hate to bust your bubble but this is the rule.....

If a High School doesnt have their freshmen in the same building as grades 10-12 then the freshmen are only allowed to play on the freshman teams.... This was the case at Mt.Juliet High School for several years.....

You are not bursting my bubble. I know you can play for five years if the school you attend includes 8th graders in the same building as the high school. The question that was asked at the beginning of the thread was can you leave a private school and play for 4 more years at a public school. The answer is NO, you must play for the same school.

You are not bursting my bubble.  I know you can play for five years if the school you attend includes 8th graders in the same building as the high school.  The question that was asked at the beginning of the thread was can you leave a private school and play for 4 more years at a public school.  The answer is NO, you must play for the same school.

825649678[/snapback]

This is true once they play that first varsity game they are for ever tied to ALL TSSAA Regulations... 8th grade or whatever..........

simple, just fill out the transfer paper work along with a hardship request and let the powers to be (tssaa) decide on the outcome and you will probably be able to play from the 9th grade till graduation. this is one of those tricky situations. example: sunbright is a k-12 public school that plays 8th graders and if they transfer out of there they still get to play the remainding 4 years as long as there's a bonafide change of residence. just put it in the hands of the powers to be and you'll see.

simple, just fill out the transfer paper work along with a hardship request and let the powers to be (tssaa) decide on the outcome and you will probably be able to play from the 9th grade till graduation.  this is one of those tricky situations.  example:  sunbright is a k-12 public school that plays 8th graders and if they transfer out of there they still get to play the remainding 4 years as long as there's a bonafide change of residence.  just put it in the hands of the powers to be and you'll see.

825649963[/snapback]

If the TSSAA is petitioned for a hardship history indicates you can expect the following:

1) If the transfer is from Private to Public, the "student athlete" will be allowed to play immediately.

2) If the transfer is from a Public to Private, the "athlete" will have to sit out a year.

Anyone know any exceptions to the above?