Murfreesboro Super Regional

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some very interesting scores from the Super Regional this weekend.

In the 10U, I was surprised to see how dominant the Tennessee Extreme were, especially in their 16 point victory over the Tennessee Express in bracket play. The lack of depth probably hurt the Express more then anything as when I seen them a couple of weekends ago, they did not sub at all. They have 5 solid starters, but the bench has to be a huge concern for the coach of the Express. I heard the Cookeville Ladies have one girl who is almost automatic from just behind the 3 point line if left open, but is really the only real consistent scoring threat they have. They'll have to find some more scoring if they expect to win games against other teams in the State Tournament coming up this weekend.

In the 11U, it was a shock to see the Tennessee Team Pride - Maroon beat the Tennessee Lady Trotters like they did. I've seen the Lady Trotters and the Team Pride - Maroon and I find it hard to believe that the Team Pride is a 12 - 15 point better team then the Lady Trotters. Maybe the Lady Trotters can fix whatever weaknesses were exposed against the Team Pride before the State Tournament.

The 12U finished exactly like I thought it would, with the exception of some of the scores and the play of the Tennessee Team Pride. This team, a 4th place North Middle Sub-State team, came to play this weekend, nearly pulling upsets over the Tennnessee Top Guns and Dayton Metro. I was told they led much of both games until both of their opposing teams made runs at the end.

The double overtime game between the Tennessee Express and the Tennessee Lady Tigers was also a little bit of a surprise, as I expected the Lady Tigers to be a much better team. They played the eventual champions to an 8 point game, while the Express got blown away by the Top Guns by 23, who lost to the Metro big in the final. It really just doesn't add up at all. I don't know if the Lady Tigers just had an off night or the Express were just that good against them.

The Championship Game between the Metro and the Top Guns was also bit of a surprise. I was told, size wise, the Top Guns were by far the bigger of the two teams. However, the Metro can light you up from the outside and that is what I suspect happened in this game. Maybe the Top Guns were a little unfocused going into the game considering they had beaten the Metro earlier in pool play by 7. Either way, a 15 point win by the Metro was a little surprising, though I did expect them to win the touranment, just not by that much.

There were no surpises in the 13U as the Team Pride flew by everyone including the East Tennessee Lady Bulls. This could have possibly been the Lady Bulls last ditch chance to get to Nationals, unless they decide to travel elsewhere to play in another Super Regional. Props go out to Tiffany Woosley who apprently has the team in prime form 1 month before the State Tournament, where I'm sure this team will give even the best team in the state, Tennessee Lady Tigers/Elite, all they can handle.

Edited by ptguard12