pounderman4life

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higdon, Ooltewah Powers Past Purple Pounders

by Nate Drexler

posted April 25, 2005

Putting up three runs in the fourth inning would, in most cases, be of the game changing nature. Unfortunately for the Purple Pounders of Central High School, however, the Owls of Ooltewah had already posted 13 runs of their own in the first four innings.

“I talked to Justin (Higdon), and told him that he’s only got one more start in the regular season,” said Ooltewah coach Joe Wingate. “We were going to use it as a tune up.”

Higdon showed no signs of needing a tune up in the early goings of the game, retiring six of the seven first batters with four strikeouts

“When he got ahead of the batters I told him to go right at them, and throw strikes,” said coach Wingate. “I told him if he was going to throw something nasty to go ahead, just get it across the plate, and if they hit one for a double, so be it.”

Higdon had room to breathe in the fourth, when he gave up the only three runs of the game, because the Owls jumped all over Central’s Ryan Norris for 11 runs in the bottom of the first.

The first six batters for Ooltewah reached base in the inning and also scored. Senior catcher Brad Loy got things going for the Owls with one of his three base hits on the night, and after fellow Senior Ryan Jones reached on a bunt error to the pitcher, the hard hitting Kyler Burke smoothly swatted an estimated 400 foot blast over the right-center wall.

Two more were sent over the wall in the inning. Ryan Jones lifted a two run homer on his second plate appearance of the inning, and two batters later, Zach Woods blasted a two run shot of his own.

The Owls went on to play solidly in the field, defending Higdon on the mound, and escaping in five innings.

“After you score 11 runs it’s hard to convince 16 and 17 year old kids that there’s still four innings to play,” said coach Higdon.

Ooltewah showed a sharp defensive presence when Higdon saw a little bit of trouble in the third inning. Central’s Josh Frederick led off with a double, and two batters later, Fabian Timmons was handed a walk. But before the Pounders could even mark it in the scorebook, Frederick was picked off third base on a strong throw from Brad Loy. Seconds later, Fabian Timmons was thrown out at home for the final out of the inning.

“They follow up well,” said Justin Higdon. “What I mean by that is that they back me up. We do a lot better job of that than last year when we averaged several errors per game.”

Higdon recorded the 5-inning complete game, giving up seven hits, but handing out eight strikeouts to the Pounders.

“The key was not to loose focus,” he said. “You have to hope your team and yourself will not let up.”

The Owl’s, after Monday night’s victory, are only three wins away from the school record at Ooltewah for wins in a season.

“We have to win three out of our next five,” said Higdon. “We’re not trying to lose anymore, though. We have step it up and compete better.”

Coach Wingate is on the same page with Higdon with regards to his team’s needs.

“We need more consistency,” he said. “That goes for pitching, defense, offense, everything. I really feel that if we do, that we’ll be able to make a good run in the playoffs.”

The Owl’s will complete the two game series with Central on Tuesday night at Engel Stadium.

Brad Loy went three for four on the night with trip singles, three runs scored and an RBI. Ryan Jones was one for four with a Homerun and two RBI’s. Kyler Burke went one for two with a homerun, two walks, and three RBI’s. Zach Woods was three for four with a homerun, two hits, and two RBI’s.