McMinn County Spring

clevelandguy

Tribe fan, if you here anything about the spring game let me know, I would like to come and watch the game if we are finished, we begin May 13.

I do not know when springs practice begins but if I were to guess I would say sometime around the 9th of May. I have been told that the spring game will be between Central and McMinn, but who knows I have not heard much from the high school.

825658051[/snapback]

Spring practice does begin on May 9th and will conclude with a inter county game with McMInn Central in Athens on the 20th is what I was told yesterday. All I really know for certain @ the high school is that the soccer team and supporters are upset becuse one of the football coaches ( no name ) decided to top dress the football field with about 2 inches of sand a few days before the soccer team was hosting an invitational tournament. Fortuantly for the soccer team they were able to move up the hill a bit and play there games on the practice field. The question I got was who is running the athletic department @ the high school the AD or does each coach do as they will. I am not a big soccer man but it was quite embarrasing to the soccer program (which is ranked #4 in TN) when you had teams from Nashville, Knoxville and N. Georgia and they had to play on a field that is not maintained quite as good as the game field is. But there lies the problem @ McMinn no leadership and no direction just status quo.

Spring practice does begin on May 9th and will conclude with a inter county game with McMInn Central in Athens on the 20th is what I was told yesterday. All I really know for certain @ the high school is that the soccer team and supporters are upset becuse one of the football coaches ( no name ) decided to top dress the football field with about 2 inches of sand a few days before the soccer team was hosting an invitational tournament. Fortuantly for the soccer team they were able to move up the hill a bit and play there games on the practice field. The question I got was who is running the athletic department @ the high school the AD or does each coach do as they will. I am not a big soccer man but it was quite embarrasing to the soccer program (which is ranked #4 in TN) when you had teams from Nashville, Knoxville and N. Georgia and they had to play on a field that is not maintained quite as good as the game field is. But there lies the problem @ McMinn no leadership and no direction just status quo.

825660266[/snapback]

They only have 3 football coaches so it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I really don't have an iron in the fire @ McMinn but just noticed in the post you said sand on the "football field". These fields need maintenance this time of year. They should already have weed emergence and fertilizer on them. Soccer destroys fields by pounding the grass into the mud before it has time to green. Many schools have built seperate fields for the two sports. That way they each have recovery time during off season. I'm sure they could tear up some of that big parking lot for a field. I'm not critisizing, just hit me after reading this tread.

Hope you find some quality coaches. Met Coach Bennett yesterday, seems like a really good guy.

I really don't have an iron in the fire @ McMinn but just noticed in the post you said sand on the "football field". These fields need maintenance this time of year. They should already have weed emergence and fertilizer on them. Soccer destroys fields by pounding the grass into the mud before it has time to green. Many schools have built seperate fields for the two sports. That way they each have recovery time during off season. I'm sure they could tear up some of that big parking lot for a field. I'm not critisizing, just hit me after reading this tread. Hope you find some quality coaches. Met Coach Bennett yesterday, seems like a really good guy.

825660897[/snapback]

Coach Bennett is a quality person and the type of coach you would want around your son if he were a football player. I hate we lost him to Bradley but he made a decision with the future of his family in mind and no one will fault him for that.

In 1991 when the new stadium, filed house and practice complex were constructed @ McMinn 25% of the capital that was used to start this project was raised from private donations; some came from football supporters some came from soccer supporters. The initial plan was for the soccer program to utilize the upper field which has a track around it and has stands that will seat approx. 500 people. But somehere along the way they began playing all of there games on the football field, because they thought they were be slighted to the "smaller" field. You are correct BCrising the football field does need time to heal and start greening before it gets torn up again but like I have said before there is no one person @ McMinn that will take charge and make a tough decision. Interestlingly enough if you are ever around the soccer teams they refer to the stadium as the football/soccer stadium. I don't have a thought either way but I do know that the field has been spriged and sodded several times over the past 14 years and the football budget has paid for this to be done.

First of all, tribefan is correct, Bennett is a super guy and a great friend of mine. He will be missed by those at McMinn. Dunkle is also a quality person and coach. Both are guys you would want around your kids. As far as the field situation goes, well its a sticky situation. I think in the end it works out best if the AD would bite the bullet and have the soccer teams play on the hill. Let them maintain the field, let them have a sense of ownership. There is no reason to play soccer on the football field unless there is no other field to play on. However, as a coach, when other schools are coming to our facility ,we want it to be at it's best, whether its tennis, track, football, baseball or anything else. The football guys surely knew there was a big soccer tournament there. As a coach, even though I wouldn't of wanted it played on the field, I would of made sure it was the best looking soccer field around. Take pride in what you do have, and the soccer folks at McMinn need to take the field on the hill, take pride in it, and make it the best soccer field in SE TN, it says more about a program to have their own field than to have to play on the "football" field.

We kind of talked about it, but I think we both know I can't leave where I'm at and take that kind of paycut for the same position there I have here. The progams are very similiar, we are alot like his team that he is taking over. He probably has a better chance of winning the big one because we don't have the skill to compete in atlanta past the second round or so. We discussed it, but the only thing that would bring me back would be the Head Job as long as the pay cut wasn't too steep. However, I would of loved if he would of taken a job down this way, it would of been a no brainer for me.

Good post Gridiron13.... Is our mutual friend trying to get you to come join him @ his new job?

825661030[/snapback]