Brainerd, Its Amazing

clevelandguy

Who knows, maybe they really don't have any teaching slots open to bring in a coach, I don't know. I do know that several highly qualified assistant coaches in both Tennessee and Georgia have contacted the administration at Brainard only to be told they don't have a slot for them. I heard from a very reliable source, a guy they actually did offer the job too, that the guys at Brainerd said they wanted to "keep it in the family" whatever that means. Good luck Brainerd and good luck to anyone who wants to jump onto this sinking ship. At this point if anyone was actually offered the job, every coach in the school would try to tear your program down. I think it's too far gone to jump aboard.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wardawg...

I guess part of my frustration wardawg has been that so many search committees seem to be looking towards one of two things:

1. They want to hire the old guy who is near retirement (you know, the guys with 35 years coaching experience who may be there just to draw a check and live off their past glories) or....

2. They want to hire a young buck that played college ball and has a couple of years of coaching experience under his belt.

I know you can "learn on the job" and it does work out in some cases but most of the time that first head coaching experience doesn't always work out the way you want it to. In your case, you were the exception to the rule but way too many times what the school really needed was someone with a lot of experience. Maybe not the old guy who has been around for 35 years but someone who has been around the block enough to get things done quickly. Again, I think the secret is learning how to "manage" both players and coaches to create not only an effective scheme on offense and defense but to also get the most out of your people. You also have to learn how to play the political game and none of that is taught in college. It takes a long time to learn how to make all of those things work for you as you have already experienced in West TN. Things come out of no-where and sometimes it takes someone who has been there once or twice to know how to respond quickly.

On the other hand, everyone has to have that first head coaching experience somewhere. I'm glad you found yours and I hope it continues to work well for you.

I talked to my source and if it is true everyone that has posted in the last couple of hours is correct. Brainerd will continue to be a BANDsketball school, waiting for that great group of athletes or a volunteer coach that has a clue to come through and win on talent alone. And they wonder why kids leave Dalewood and go to East Ridge and Tyner. :(

You guys are not getting the point. As sad as it seems race is important and should be considered. Now my favorite after school show growing up was white shadow a middle age white guy coached a inner city school. I know it can work. But understand that where else can a young african american coach get his foot down but at a minority based school. How many head black coaches are there in east tennessee. As of today 2 Stanton Stevens at Oak Ridge formely of Austin East and Coach at Howard. How many schools are in east tennessee. How many qualified african american coaches are there in east tennessee. Several. That is what it is about. In Oak Rdige they past Stanton Stevens 3 or 4 times, even offered it to Joe Gaddis whom first didn't interview and second didn't apply. Stanton Stevens winning percentage is one of the best in the state of tennessee. He took a program that was 1-9 the year before he got there and made them into a state power. Now if these schools do not save jobs for minority coaches who else will hire them. Until schools start stepping to the plate and making it all equal then I feel that these jobs need to be looked at first at by minority coaches. I wish that the right coach, no matter what color he or she is,who loves coaching, the game, and the kids could be considered but quite frankly the playing fields are not that fair YET!!!

Boorlley, that is the best post you have ever written and I agree with you: EXCEPT if you are in a situation where every minority candidate turns you down, then what options do you have left? You can do one of two things: Start the process over or consider one of the other non-minority candidates. You guys know me, I'm as liberal as anyone in public education but this whole question of minority begs the question, "What is a minority?" I am 1/4 Native American but you wouldn't know it by looking at me. I would qualify in some circles as being of mixed race but it is not visually apparent unless you know what to look for. It just seems strange that some schools would not try to do what's best for their kids rather than sticking to a model that may not always work.

Edited by ELA

I think then you pick the best candidate. You will learn kids will accept anyone they trust and believe in. That is not a race thing its a human thing. The funny thing is whether you're an evolutionist or spiritual in yor beliefs both ideology suggests that we all come from the the same thing, whether its algae, monkeys or adam and eve. Somebody has to break the cycles. Until we can understand each other we will never grow. From what I heard from white coaches that coach at minority based school they notice that the kids and parents seem to cling to them once that bond has been gained. But what we also must remember is most of these white coaches are using this position to promote to other jobs. You don't find many career (5 plus seasons) white coaches at these inner city schools. Sure they have talent, yes great kids, committed staff, community support, but what you don't have is corporate support, financial support, etc. etc. And that is what it takes to keep the top coaches black/white. You think Mr. Smith is going to help give money to inner city high when his kids play for private or county high. No. So not many administrators at predominately minority based schools are willign to tak a chance of being used for 3 years then having to search again. I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Honest question as I do NOT know the school or the situation. Why hasn't the boosters or the parents gotten involved? If it was my kid that was gonna be playing there I would be asking some serious questions of the administration. Kids futures are much too serious to be playing with. 'If' it is a serious minority situation then there are some organizations that would be willing to help, and especially if it meant getting some kids some serious consideration for some scholarships by playing quality football.

You know we all sit here and think about coaching those great athletes, I am the world's worst, but one thing we are all forgetting and the main reason for not pursueing the Brainerd job is the teaching environment. I have spoken with several of my college coaching buddies who recruit the Chattanooga area and they all tell me it is as bad of a teaching environment as there is. One guy told me it is out of control that you better not be in the hallway when the bell rings. Another told me it was worse than the inner city Atlanta schools. Just a thought. You coach on the field for 3 hours a day, but your in the classroom for 7. Be careful what you wish for.

Speaking of finding coaches I think it's about time Robert High leaves Brainerd too its funny everybody talking about the basketball program having an impact on who gets hired to coach football the basketball program is not even what it used to after DOMINATING the state in the 90's Brainerd hadnt even sniffed the state tournament. If Brainerd is really looking for a minority coach they need to keep that on the hush they could really get in trouble for that if they are openly denying applicants because of race