Brainerd, Its Amazing

clevelandguy

...Very good post "ramtrain"...I hi-lited a question you asked...I hope a new coach is hired with excellent qualities!!!

825658616[/snapback]

If there is a highly qualified minority candidate please let him come forward and step up to the plate, if not, don't go out searching for some guy who teaches who doesn't really want the job.

For the sake of the kids and the program, don't make this about color! Hire the best man for the job no matter what his skin color is.

We all understand the need to develop minority coaches and leaders to come back to the community but it appears none of them want to come back or coach there at this time. Maybe there are some in college now who will be the leaders in the future but it seems to me you guys are making an easy decision much harder than it has to be. What you should do if no minority candidate wants it is to hire the best man for the job and then start the search for a solid assistant coach to come in (possibly right out of college) and let the new head coach groom him to take over in five or ten years. Tell the new HC this is part of his job. Make this a requirement.

I know of at least two men who want the job, who know the area, and have taught and coached in the area who can both get the job done but no one is giving them a serious look. One is a friend of mine that I coached with a few years back in middle TN and the other is a guy who coaches in the area. I have spoken to both of them and I have no doubt they can get the job done.

I have coached with some outstanding minority coaches throughout my 27 year career. I spoke with one of them last week about the Brainerd job and he told me he wouldn't touch the job with a ten foot pole. I will not repeat why but it had to with basketball and the A.D..

The administration has already drug its feet to the point that no one can come in and do spring practice. IF they keep putting this decision off any longer there will be little hope of a turn around in the fall. Pull the trigger and hire one of the other men you interviewed or reopen the process and start over. This time don't overlook anyone!

Edited by caesar

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents worth--The ACLU should be contacted. The reason for not finding many minority coaches is there are very few with the certification and licensing to teach as compared to majority coaches ( to be politically correct). If you look at the amount of minorities going to college to become a teacher/coach there are very little. 1 in 10,000 ever finish. Majority is somewhere near 1 in 300. Successful coaches can usually coach anywhere. Management is 50% of the hard part of coaching. Athletes and X and O's is the other 50%. There is alot less choices of minority than majority. That is why they call it minority and majority.

In my mind, anyone who takes it now is basically saying we are going to get ready for the 2006 season.  It is almost too late to get in there, meet, give out equipment, get the field in a half-way descent shape and have Spring Ball.  Good luck to whoever is willing to take it at this point.

825658841[/snapback]

If they drag this thing out into late May or early June, all one can do is get moved in and try to organize weight lifting and maybe some 7-on-7 for July. No real work can be done at this stage until August and the Chattanooga teachers go back to work the first week of August. This will be a real handicap for the new head coach because he won't really get a chance to evaluate his talent. He will be teaching his system of O and D for the first five games and adjusting skill players for the first half of the season. If they are lucky, they will be in a position to win some games down the stretch. The great thing about spring ball is a coach can evaluate his younger players. In this case, I doubt it will happen. There is a lot of work that needs to be done at Brainerd. They need to work on the stadium and the locker rooms! They need to get someone in who can raise money through corporate sponsorship. They need someone who knows how to build a staff and manage a football program. They need someone who already has people (coaches) ready to step up and help him coach! It will be a huge challenge!

caesar, I think you have a good point about bringing in a young minority coach to "groom" for the position of head coach down the road but I don't know of any young coach out of college who will be ready to be a head coach in five years. I don't think anyone (college or high school) should hire a head coach until he has at least 8-10 years of being an assistant coach under his belt. You need time to learn what works and what doesn't work. You need to watch people succeed and fail. I have worked under some great head coaches and I can tell you I learned just as much of what NOT to do with some as I did of what TO do under others. You simply need that time to develop your own approach to the game. My son has coached with me two out of the last three years and I always told him this: Learn everything I know (that won't take too long), then go work for at least one or two other men and learn everything they know about football... then go apply for a head coaching position when you are about 35 or 36.

Edited by ELA

ELA, I don't disagree with you very often, but years of experience doesn't make for a good or bad head coach. There are many successful head coaches out there who have been very successful at an early age. Some people have the personality and the structure to do it, some don't. There is no amount of years that will prepare you, either you have it or you don't.

ELA,  I don't disagree with you very often, but years of experience doesn't make for a good or bad head coach.  There are many successful head coaches out there who have been very successful at an early age.  Some people have the personality and the structure to do it, some don't.  There is no amount of years that will prepare you, either you have it or you don't.

825659057[/snapback]

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one topic. I have always held the belief that no one is ready to be a head coach until they have served as an assistant for several years. The only possible exception in my mind is those who have served as a head middle school coach and has the organizational skills to get the job done at the high school level. Being a head coach is more about coaching coaches than coaching players and it takes some time and experience to learn how to do that. The other thing is that it is hard for older, seasoned assistant coaches to follow a 26 or 29 year old coach because they feel he hasn't put in his time or paid his dues.

Fellas we can talk about this all day. There has to be some major things done inside the school before the football program can be dealt with. I have a MAJOR inside source that stated MONEY and TEACHING positions are a MAIN reason why the position cannot be filled. Now don't get me wrong THE GUY FROM RED BANK, yes they have not had a winning season since 97 but the talent is there, if I am correct they have given you guys all you can handle here recently. That is not the point though, BHS is a gold mine of talent, with the right volunteers and a half way decent head coach they can make the playoffs this year. Before there are any comments made about them and the playoffs. IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN THERE THEN YOU, YES YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY. They need to get something done there ASAP. I hope they make a decision and then get the HC some quality help. :blink:

I wonder if there is a list of who has applied for this position. If so, who has been called in and who has been called back for a second or third look? That information would tell a lot about how the school is approaching the hiring of a new football coach. I have a buddy who teaches at Central and he told me last night there was a possibility that Coach Eddie might be asked to take it back for one more season? Maybe this whole process has been just a ruse to get coach Lambert back in the game?

Hamilton County schools are more messed up right now than in anytime I can remember in the past. They have always had their problems but I think they may be sliding past Memphis City Schools in being the most messed up for coaches and teachers in the state. At least Memphis still funds sports and they pay very well for all the crap you have to put up with out West.

Isn’t Brainerd going to be a magnet school this year like Tyner? If so, why wouldn’t coaches all across the county be lining up to get the job? In a few years you could legally recruit, I mean acquire, a team that would rival anyone in South East Tennessee.

Well ELA, I will have to disagree with you also on the age thing. I feel that too many bright young coaches are being passed over for head coaching positions because of age. If we had to wait till 35 or 36 I would not be a Head Coach Right now!! I feel I was ready at 27 but was passed over for many jobs. I finally landed my current job as HC at 29. I feel it has worked out well for the school and Myself. It is not about age IMO but getting into a good program, working your tail off, learning as much football as possible( The do's as well as the don'ts) and being committed will make you a fine head coach. Age is just a number and I do believe some coaches are ready before others but people should not look at a person and say he is too young to be a head coach. I know it was a different time and sport but Pat Summitt was awful young when she took over the Lady Vols and it has worked out for her and UT! :D