Is it a rule?

tiger_fan18

Ironically enough, I asked an umpire (a very experienced one) this question at the beginning of this season. He told me that a coach could visit the mound three times BEFORE he takes out the pitcher. It doesn't matter if he visits all three times in one inning or what. But, after the third visit....not on the third visit....after the third visit in the game, the pitcher comes out.

From the horse's mouth.

Brad

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys...you are wrong about that. Three visits throgh the duration of the game. They can use all three in the same inning with the same pitcher.

Here's a few rule questions that pertain to high school baseball...

True or False

1. A runner must slide to avoid contact.

2. A fielder cannot block the base without the ball.

3. One out, runner on third. Batter interferes with the catcher's throw to third base. The runner is declared out for interference.

4. Two outs, runner on third. Batter interferes with the catcher's throw to third base. The runner is declared out for interference.

5. While a pitcher is in his windup, the umpire calls a balk. The pitcher continues his delivery, and the batter hits a homerun. The offensive team has the option to take the resulting play or take the balk.

Have fun!!

825659576[/snapback]

1. False slide OR avoid contact

2. True he must give the runner part of the bag to touch before he gets the ball

3. True

4. False the batter is out

5. False in High Scchool baseball when a balk occurs play is dead

i hope i passed

A coach may go talk to his pitcher 3 times in an inning without pulling him provided he has all of his visits left. On the fourth visit that pitcher must be removed. This rule is similar to Division 1 college rule. In D-1 they get 3 free thruout the game. However they have the second visit in an inning rule that he must be removed. Removing the pitcher does not count as a visit either.

Here's a good one to think over:

Bases loaded - 2 outs - guy hits a triple & all runners touch home plate - the batter runner misses first base & the defensive team appeals that the runner misses first & the umpire calls him out - what do you have? how many runs will score?

Glad we're all clear on the rules :D .

As a fan, I know HS rules are different from ML and other rules, I really don't concern myself or care how many trips a coach gets, or the reentry rules or things like that. I know a lot of the rules and some are irrevalent to me. The umpires and the coach should know these (esp the umpires). There seem to be differing views even among the umpires.

SECTION 4 CHARGED CONFERENCES

ART. 1 . . . Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three charged conferences during a seven-inning game, without penalty, to permit coaches or their non-playing representatives to confer with a defensive player or players. In an extra inning game, each team shall be permitted one charged conference each inning while on defense without penalty. The number of charged conferences permitted is not cumulative. A request for time for this purpose shall be made by a coach, player, substitute or an attendant. Time granted for an obviously incapacitated player shall not constitute a charged conference. Prior to accumulating three charged conferences in seven innings or less, a conference is not charged if the pitcher is removed as pitcher.

PENALTY: After three charged conferences in a seven-inning game, or for any charged conference in excess of one in each extra inning, the pitcher shall be removed as pitcher for duration of the game.

GLee, dude, let it go, you were wrong...it's ok, it happens to us all.

825660139[/snapback]

Didn't have access to my books and I was wrong. I called an umpire friend who read it to me. Sorry..... you won't catch me wrong on baseball often, but I sure was. On the 4th visit in a 7 inning game the pitcher must be pulled. Good call. :D

let me see if i got this right

3 visits, then on fourth pitching change must take place

then every other visit a change must take place

now what if the pitcher in contact with the rubber drops the ball?

825661288[/snapback]

You are correct on the visits rule. However if the game goes into extra innings each team gets one more free visit per exra inning.

If the pitcher drops the ball while in contact with the rubber & there are runners on base it would be a balk. If no runners on base you have nothing.