Crazy officials

Stew4931

Here's a #4 for you:

4.  Can a referee award a PK after stopping play (to take care of a goal-keeper injury) without calling a rules infraction?

825661184[/snapback]

Need more info -- did he stop play because of an infraction and taking care of the keeper injury was just a part of the whole thing, ??? Not enough info to make a judgment.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need more info -- did he stop play because of an infraction and taking care of the keeper injury was just a part of the whole thing, ??? Not enough info to make a judgment.

825661201[/snapback]

I guess you need less info, actually. Let me restate:

4. Can a referee award a PK without calling a rules infraction?

I guess you need less info, actually.  Let me restate:

4.  Can a referee award a PK without calling a rules infraction?

825661465[/snapback]

Sure, he can just blow his whistle, point to the PK spot, and not say anything at all about why he made the call.

1. Is a handball inside the 18/box not always a PK? (if called for the foul) Or can a indirect/direct kick be taken instead? The penalty for intentional handling inside the penalty area is a direct kick from the penalty spot.

2. Can free points just be awarded by a ref? Do you mean goals? The ref can only award a free kick - indirect or direct - or a throw-in.

3. Is it not cardable if a player consistently stands within 2 feet of the ball during a direct/indirect kick? Encroachment on any free kick shall result in the player being cautioned (of course you'll rarely see it enforced)

4. Can a referee award a PK after stopping play (to take care of a goal-keeper injury) without calling a rules infraction? A kick from the penalty spot can only result from a penal foul (kicking, punching, spitting, etc) occurring inside the penalty area. The ref should blow the whistle, point to the penalty spot and then go take care of the injury. The referee never has to explain a call unless he issues a card and then he has to go explain to the coach what the player did.

1. Is a handball inside the 18/box not always a PK? (if called for the foul) Or can a indirect/direct kick be taken instead? The penalty for intentional handling inside the penalty area is a direct kick from the penalty spot. 2. Can free points just be awarded by a ref? Do you mean goals? The ref can only award a free kick - indirect or direct - or a throw-in. 3. Is it not cardable if a player consistently stands within 2 feet of the ball during a direct/indirect kick? Encroachment on any free kick shall result in the player being cautioned (of course you'll rarely see it enforced) 4. Can a referee award a PK after stopping play (to take care of a goal-keeper injury) without calling a rules infraction? A kick from the penalty spot can only result from a penal foul (kicking, punching, spitting, etc) occurring inside the penalty area. The ref should blow the whistle, point to the penalty spot and then go take care of the injury. The referee never has to explain a call unless he issues a card and then he has to go explain to the coach what the player did.

825661646[/snapback]

We were playing against TCA when they handballed the ball inside the box for like the 3rd time. They awarded us a direct kick inside the box, but not from the penalty mark. TCA was also allowed to set up a wall. And against Madison, we had a senior football player handball it in the box, given a red card, ejected from the game, then Madison was GIVEN a free goal. And i already explained what happened with TCA and the encroachment call.

1. Is a handball inside the 18/box not always a PK? (if called for the foul) Or can a indirect/direct kick be taken instead?

2. Can free points just be awarded by a ref?

3. Is it not cardable if a player consistently stands within 2 feet of the ball during a direct/indirect kick?

I'm going to give my 2 cents as a fan, dad, and TSSAA/USSF certified referee. I am a bit amused at the quiz offered earlier and will offer my answers.

1. A called penal foul against the defense(this includes handling) in the penalty area shall result in a penalty kick. There is no such thing as a direct kick for the offense in the penalty area-this is always a penalty kick from the penalty mark. The offense may be given an indirect kick in the penalty area for non penal violations...dangerous play, ball played back to keeper by his own team by foot and handled by keeper, etc.

2. A goal may never be awarded by a referee. The ball must totally cross the goal line under the cross bar and between the side posts to be considered for a goal, assuming no violations...offside, foul, etc. Even if the ball is rolling toward the goal about to go in and a bird flies down and blocks it away...still no goal.

3. Certainly this warrants a caution. I instruct the captains in the pregame to make sure their teams retreat when a free kick is called or they will see the yellow card. Not calling this awards the defense and unfairly impedes the offense. It is the offenses right to a quick kick; the defense has no right to delay them. Different officials may call this differently; however, this is how I call it.

Lastly, but most importantly, most if not all coaches know who the assessors and assignors are for their games and that is the mechanism to use if the rules do not seem to be applied properly. I believe our local association TVSRA does quite a good job of educating officials, assigning, and assessing. Many of our officials are selected for regional and national events, training, etc. TSSAA itself does not provide anything other than book testing and one rules meeting a year; the local referee organization is the critical factor. We do need more refs, so I encourage any and all of you to get certified through USSF and subsequently TSSAA post high school and help us out!!

The next entry level course is the weekend of August 19 at Maryville High school. There are others for other parts of the state. Go to the link for more info:

http://www.tnsoccer.org/Index.aspx?subMenu...les/August.html

thumb