Rule against spirit?

msgov

Where in any rule book does it say that a team in any sport can't show their spirit by cheering, clapping, chanting.  The only sports I know of that don't like noise when someone is playing is golf and tennis.  If you will remember the U.S. Open a few years ago in New York, people complained about the "rowdy" fans. 

What in the name of hominy grits is wrong with high school players cheering their teammates on.  Oh, I know, it's because it hasn't been done that way before.  For my 2 cents worth, I say let them cheer and show their spirit and pride.  NOW, if they are insulting a player from another team, now that gets into disrespect. 

Doug Polston is class through and through.  He knows the rules like the back of his hand.  He had every right to protest the game.  What would happen if he came out to protest and then his team made a comeback and won the game outright.  Nothing, the protest would have been null and void.  But he does have the right to protest.  No different than a police officer giving you a ticket for speeding and you going to court to challenge the ticket.  You have every right.  E.O.D.

;)  ;)  ;)

825669293[/snapback]

First of all, the Halls-Oak Ridge game was not finished under protest. Only rules 1-9 in NFHS Rule Book can be used for protests if a given state allows protests. The delay in that game was simply in attempts to get an immediate ruling on the infraction because of the fact that the game was part of the district tournament. Umpires are instructed to attempt to remedy any irregularity as soon as possible in the post season due to scheduling. Coach Polston could have simply waited until the state office opened and reported the situation. The same result would have been realized. Instead, he created a 20 minute delay by demanding that an immediate forfeit be granted. The rules do not state that an immediate forfeit, or any forfeit for that matter, is the ruling for this infraction. That has been the result in the past, however, and in this case was not if it would happen, but what the proper process would be. He must not know the back of his hand very well.

Edited by uknowme

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all the discussion about Halls "cheerleading" managed to get into the Knoxville News Sentinel

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/preps_baseball...3780889,00.html

It still amazes me that this is still being called "bush" league here on Coacht. All I know to say is that it is a tradition of Halls baseball, I guess people are just mad that this team brought it back in full force because I do remember six years ago when I was a freshman that this clapping and chanting was done as well. Another thing you males might want to consider is changing the way you call it. If you have a girlfriend or wife, I'm sure they would jump you for making these sexist remarks and we all know that the female has the final say anyways, right guys? Don't deny it!!! thumb

HEY uknowme its hurts to lose that way,feel the burn?

It is better to know the back of one's hand that one coach who carries a whole book and still can't add. Some one say math teacher????

Get over it your coach lost the game !!! Not the players!!! They won,coaching lost what is it you don't see here?????

You beat Halls no one disputes that.

FEEL THE BURN!!!!!! HURTS WHEN the truth is known Right uknowme.

OH THE BURN!!!!!!!! :lol:

Here's one quote I like the game should not be decieded by EGO'S and middle aged men in the TSSAA???? Where did that come from??? Your coach. BREAK RULES LOSE GAME!!!!!

OH THE BURN!!!!!!

HEY uknowme its hurts to lose that way,feel the burn?

It is better to know the back of one's hand that one coach who carries a whole book and still can't add. Some one say math teacher????

Get over it your coach lost the game !!! Not the players!!! They won,coaching lost what is it you don't see here?????

You beat Halls no one disputes that.

FEEL THE BURN!!!!!! HURTS WHEN the truth is known Right uknowme.

OH THE BURN!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Here's one  quote I like the game should not be decieded  by EGO'S and middle aged men in the TSSAA???? Where did that come from??? Your coach. BREAK RULES LOSE GAME!!!!!

OH THE BURN!!!!!!

825674769[/snapback]

You are right! If you break the rules, you lose the game. With that said, my coach didn't lose anything. He's still coaching a team in another county where I live. He's certainly not in Halls or Oak Ridge. My post was simply to point out that just because Halls caught a break does not mean Polston is somehow a rule expert. To say that someone knows the rules like the back of his hand as many on this and other threads have stated is rediculous. I happen to have known Polston before any of his players were even born and he is a great coach, but truths are truths. Before you or others claim he knows the rules so well that he overturned a win with a protest, you should read the rules yourself. There was no protest. It was simply ruled a forfeit because a violation occured and was reported. I don't feel any burn regardless of who wins or loses. It is a game, and to make coaches look like Gods is silly. Enjoy your win! Heck, enjoy the big win over South Doyle! It was a great game, but remember, since you are so emotionally involved you are the only one likely to feel any burn.

now i have to agree that there are some Halls fans that are annoying, but heck i remember being on the field and hearing those chants and loud yells and im telling you...it pumps you up!!! i mean some fans want to yell stuff that is totally off and stupid and you start thinkign about it at the plate and you start laughin and strike out (lol jk) but seriously its a good thing and there's not a dern thing wrong with it. im not jumping on this wagon because im from Halls, i'm saying this about anyone. i was voted most school spirit and ive got kicked out of basketball games and threatened at football games for being loud and stupid but when i talk to the boys and speaking for myself as an "ex-high school" athlete, it does something for you. it cant be taken away and if it does then the game nor any other sport in high school will be AS fun. though you see guys workign their tail-ends off trying to be the best player they can be to earn scholarships and whatever else in high school....take away what makes the game fun besides the simple joy of playing the game itself and you've got nothing. these boys are 14-18 years old. they're entitled to goof off and have fun and when the fans back them and have some fun with them its just all that much better. baseball is as fun as you make it...if you think working at it 24/7 with no laughs or grins or "side-note" happiness then so be it, but count how many 14-18 year olds that dont like to have fine WHILE taking the game serious.