Who is team to beat in Region 1 5A?

VolViking

How much experience does Jefferson Co. have coming back on the O-Line?

825685686[/snapback]

Starters from 2004 O-Line is Micheal Manis 6'2'' 225lbs. at LG and Brett Denton at the same size moving from RG to LT at this time. Other returning Offensive players are Chris Shiverdecker at RB and Trey Reliford at FB. A lot to fill in over the Summer.

Defensive starters returing are Trey Reliford moving from CB to LB and Brent Acuff at CB. Young Sophmore class expected to fill most holes in the defense.

Kids now this will be a tough year especially with the schedule Oak Ridge and DB back to back but excited to get back on the field. Strange things can happen on Friday night shtat's why we play the game.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Strange things can happen on Friday night that's why we play the game."

Exactly right. You never know. Sometimes what is on paper means zero, that is why we have a word known as "upset" when an underdog wins. I still think Jeff Co is going to be tough as nails and DB v Jeff Co will be a great game.

Starters from 2004 O-Line is Micheal Manis 6'2''  225lbs. at LG and Brett Denton at the same size moving from RG to LT at this time. Other returning Offensive players are Chris Shiverdecker at RB and Trey Reliford at FB. A lot to fill in over the Summer.

Defensive starters returing are Trey Reliford moving from CB to LB and Brent Acuff at CB. Young Sophmore class expected to fill most holes in the defense.

Kids now this will be a tough year especially with the schedule Oak Ridge and DB back to back but excited to get back on the field. Strange things can happen on Friday night shtat's why we play the game.

825685943[/snapback]

Are you saying that Jefferson Co. only has 4 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense returning? I know that the Patriots usually reload, but that is a big hit due to graduation. Of course, having Shiverdecker and Reliford back makes for a strong foundation to rebuild!

Upsets do happen.  William Blount & Karns have been involved in minor upsets of what turned out to be overrated teams.

825685955[/snapback]

If you are speaking of William Blount & Karns beating DB, I would not call those DB teams overrated. They may have played a bad game, or thought they did not need to play to win, (and I know for a fact against Karns several key players missing and multiple turnovers factor in) but when DB was clicking those years, only a few teams in the state could hang in a game with them. I disagree with calling them overrated because they did beat some really great teams including Oak Ridge and MBA those years. You can't base a season or a team off of just one game a season like you did.

Thanks for explaining the reason for those terrible showings. I had no idea DB had top players out of those games. I just remember how bad it looked for a #1 Region winner to host the first round and get beat so soundly twice.

825685983[/snapback]

Twice? Only once. Karns upset DB in the reuglar season. Few key players out including Lamon Willams. Two TD's called back, many turnovers by DB and DB lost a close one at Karns. PS DB gave a bad effort in addition to losing they probably felt unbeatable.

William Blount upset DB in the 1st round of playoffs in 2001. There is a twist to the story though. The name of the twist "Reese McMahan" a player for Blount. Get this, every game Reese played in that year Willaim Blount won. William Blount went 6-6 on the season and Reese missed 6 games which william blount lost all games that Reese didn't. DB hurt Reese's shoulder he did not play in the 2nd round of the playoff against Ooltewah, or Ooltewah would have lost. That DB v Blount game Reese (sidenote Reese was the coaches son) passed, he ran, he punted, played offense, defense, intercepted a pass, returned punts and kickoffs, need I say more. He had the most complete and dominating game I have ever witnessed on the high school level. He was voted TSSAA All State 1st team as an Athlete. Simply amazing. Couple that with the fact that DB thought they would walk over Blount and DB was in for a shock. The very next year(2002) DB played Blount again 1st round and made sure they paid attention to this team, DB won 48-0

Defensive starters returing are Trey Reliford moving from CB to LB

825685943[/snapback]

OMG, you have to be kidding me. So now the one strong point on defense with the most returning players is being broken up? We will have the smallest team in Jefferson Co history. I`m trying to stay positive and not attack the coaches since we`ll be having a rough year, but its VERY hard with moves like this.

Are you saying that Jefferson Co. only has 4 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense returning?  I know that the Patriots usually reload, but that is a big hit due to graduation. 

825685953[/snapback]

See, no smoke screen.

Edited by JC4life

Are you saying that Jefferson Co. only has 4 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense returning?  I know that the Patriots usually reload, but that is a big hit due to graduation.  Of course, having Shiverdecker and Reliford back makes for a strong foundation to rebuild!

825685953[/snapback]

I actually Jefferson Co is returning 3 starters on defense, PatSandman and I both forgot OLB Derek "Rabbit" Lowery. So that makes 7 guys we have returning this fall, we would have had more, but once again I`m trying to stay positive.

Edited by JC4life

hey jc4life, i think i played with you, but am 1-2 years younger. what do you think of the team this year, i havent been around it since we graduated and was just wondering what you are thinking,. if you are who i think you are, then ill value your opinion. whats it gonna be like this year?

Are you saying that Jefferson Co. only has 4 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense returning?  I know that the Patriots usually reload, but that is a big hit due to graduation.  Of course, having Shiverdecker and Reliford back makes for a strong foundation to rebuild!

825685953[/snapback]

That's what I am saying although I did forget about Rabbit so that makes 7. There is no hiding the fact that we are very young this year with most players having little game experience. A lot is expected out of our underclassmen and I hope they can meet those expectations. We had a Sophmore step it up last year so maybe we have some more waiting to have a break out year themselves. We can hope anyway!!

hey jc4life, i think i played with you, but am 1-2 years younger.  what do you think of the team this year, i havent been around it since we graduated and was just wondering what you are thinking,.  if you are who i think you are, then ill value your opinion.  whats it gonna be like this year?

825688021[/snapback]

I think the team is very talented, but also very young. Unlike the last 3 years this years team is no senior led. If my math is correct there will be more sophmores starting this year than juniors or seniors combined. Most of the sophmores are very talented, but outside of Nick Sheriden(hope I spelled it right) it will be their first taste of varsity action. When we travel to West for the 1st game, and when DB and OR come to town, our age will show. I would have loved to have this schedule when I played so it would be more of a fair fight. The 1st game against DB is always a shock for a 1st time starter, playing OR won`t be much different. The good news is we play both at home. I still remember my 1st game against DB and I what I was feeling. Thankfully we had great senior leaders that year and it helped, not much because we still got beat pretty bad.

Besides the lack of experience, want really has be worried is the lack of size. We`ll have some very athletic players, but most of them are small. For sure this is the smallest team I have ever seen at Jefferson Co. Normally you would say that size doesn`t matter because it is usually just a few players, but when the whole team is small is does matter. OR has a HUGE team, Mo West and DB aren`t far behind when it comes to size. If we had last years schedule I would predict a 6-4 season, but with the new one, I don`t think we`ll even do that well. I have us for sure winning 4 games(East, Bearden, Karns, Cumberland Co), and for sure losing 4 (West, Campbell Co,DB, OR), I have no idea what kinds of teams Sevier Co and S.Hill have so those are question marks. We could go 4-6, 5-5, or at best IMO 6-4.

The good news is that next year those sophmores will be juniors, and the juniors will be seniors. This year the team will earn their stripes and take their lumps, but the 2006 team will be very strong and looking for revenge.

. . . Besides the lack of experience, want really has be worried is the lack of size. We`ll have some very athletic players, but most of them are small. For sure this is the smallest team I have ever seen at Jefferson Co. Normally you would say that size doesn`t matter because it is usually just a few players, but when the whole team is small is does matter. . . If we had last years schedule I would predict a 6-4 season, but with the new one, I don`t think we`ll even do that well. I have us for sure winning 4 games(East, Bearden, Karns, Cumberland Co), and for sure losing 4 (West, Campbell Co,DB, OR), I have no idea what kinds of teams Sevier Co and S.Hill have so those are question marks. We could go 4-6, 5-5, or at best IMO 6-4.

825688224[/snapback]

Now I am very worried JC! Predicting a loss to Campbell Co. !?! Either Jefferson Co. will be down this year or you earned a small measure of respect for the Cougars based on last season, not just the JC game.

Off-topic, but my Dixie Youth BB 7-8 yr old team finished up the season last night with an 11-0 record. They outscored their opponents 133-24. The reason I bring this up, they were the PATRIOTS!

Now I am very worried JC!  Predicting a loss to Campbell Co. !?!  Either Jefferson Co. will be down this year or you earned a small measure of respect for the Cougars based on last season, not just the JC game.

825688269[/snapback]

LOL, I never thought the day would come either. Campbell Co returns a lot of starters plus Chris Johnson will run wild now the great defense that shut him down last year has graduated. The game being at Campbell Co makes thing even worst for the Pats. If we were at home I`d give us more of a shot, but the 2nd game of the season, 2nd game on the road, and the game right after Mo West means a win for CC. Even though region 1 as a whole was down, I did gain some respect for CC last year. I would have had more respect if you guys had lost to Karns the last game of the year and allowed us to make the playoffs :D

Don`t get too comfortable CC fans, cause the Pats won`t be down long.