Private Recruiting

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What punishment do Private Schools face for recruiting atheletes??? 

Also what would one have to have to present a case against a school???

Please don't use this to bash a school.....DON'T NAME ANY PRIVATE SCHOOLS....PLEASE!!!

825675761[/snapback]

My question is what do you do against a public school?????????? <_<

What punishment do Private Schools face for recruiting atheletes??? 

825675761[/snapback]

Probably the same punishment that public schools face.

Also what would one have to have to present a case against a school???

825675761[/snapback]

Perhaps asking the same question to someone at the TSSAA would be a good start.

Please don't use this to bash a school.....DON'T NAME ANY PRIVATE SCHOOLS....PLEASE!!!

825675761[/snapback]

Don't worry - we'll leave that up to you.

My question is what do you do against a public school?????????? <_<

825675769[/snapback]

Well public coaches can't persuade a kid from another zone to move to his zone to go to his school. If a school is guilty they can be punished by forfeiting tournament play for a year or years it depends. I have known of some public school coaches trying to persuade a kid to live w/ a parent that is zoned for his school (the kid's parents were divorced and lived in two different zones)

The thing is I know for fact that a local PRIVATE school has for years been persuading kids from public middle schools to transfer to their school to play private ball. Just this year a local AAA high school team lost their starting short-stop in middle of the season to a local Private school. That's a little strange RED FLAG!!!!!! The same kid told his public coaches how the Private coach was trying to recruit him out of the 8th grade!! The kid started as a Freshman 2nd baseman then Short Stop Sophomore year. Then out of the blue the kid transfers to the Private school???????? :D:angry:;)

Probably the same punishment that public schools face.

Perhaps asking the same question to someone at the TSSAA would be a good start.

Don't worry - we'll leave that up to you.

825675774[/snapback]

Then there is no worries!!! Most A or AA schools will have a few kids that could start on a AAA team but this particular Private school has almost 9 (baseball) that could start on most AAA teams. I wouldn't have a problem if the players attended the school since they were in elementary school but these kids come in from public school during their middle school years. I'm not saying all PRIVATE schools do this but I know this one does. The public A teams never stand a chance against this team and most AA teams wouldn't either. Their team is made up of AAA talent kids that would be playing AAA if they weren't there.

I wouldn't have a problem if the players attended the school since they were in elementary school but these kids come in from public school during their middle school years. 

825675790[/snapback]

There are some parents who ultimately send kids to private schools who choose to save money through the formative years, when basic concepts (ABCs and 123s) are being taught in school, by going public early and private late.

Anti-private supporters need to get their arms around the fact that a child is not the property of public schools. A child being zoned for a public school does not transfer rights of ownership to that child, and thus a public school is not necessarily "losing" a student if the child initially opts for or transfers to a private school.

Same song, second verse.

There are some parents who ultimately send kids to private schools who choose to save money through the formative years, when basic concepts (ABCs and 123s) are being taught in school, by going public early and private late. 

Anti-private supporters need to get their arms around the fact that a child is not the property of public schools.  A child being zoned for a public school does not transfer rights of ownership to that child, and thus a public school is not necessarily "losing" a student if the child initially opts for or transfers to a private school.

Same song, second verse.

825675801[/snapback]

Good point in there somewhere! You're right if that is the parents intentions. I have no problem with that. But isn't it ironic that most of the kids who transfer are stand out atheletes??? Plus I don't think this coach recruits students for the good of the school. He doesn't approach kids and say hey I saw your name in the paper for making the Honor Roll. No he approaches kids that are stnd out atheletes. And it helps if the parents have a good income for him to work with as well. Come on man!! You can same song me all you want. What would the atheletes do if we were like Mississippi where Private schools are in their on division. They would probably stay in the Public school system. And no I don't think a kid belongs to anyone but their parents!! Anyone who thinks differnetly than that is an idiot!! I also have no problem with parents doing what you said. Private Schools provide excellent academics and have other positives as well but I only agree if it was the parents and the kids choice without any contact from the Private School's Coach!!! Now do you understand my piont??? I'm against RECRUITING!!!! PRIVATE OR PUBLIC!!! thumb <_< thumb

Good point in there somewhere!  You're right if that is the parents intentions.  I have no problem with that.  But isn't it ironic that most of the kids who transfer are stand out atheletes???  Plus I don't think this coach recruits students for the good of the school.  He doesn't approach kids and say hey I saw your name in the paper for making the Honor Roll.  No he approaches kids that are stnd out atheletes.  And it helps if the parents have a good income for him to work with as well.  Come on man!!  You can same song me all you want.  What would the atheletes do if we were like Mississippi where Private schools are in their on division.  They would probably stay in the Public school system.  And no I don't think a kid belongs to anyone but their parents!!  Anyone who thinks differnetly than that is an idiot!!  I also have no problem with parents doing what you said.  Private Schools provide excellent academics and have other positives as well but I only agree if it was the parents and the kids choice without any contact from the Private School's Coach!!!  Now do you understand my piont???  I'm against RECRUITING!!!!  PRIVATE OR PUBLIC!!!  thumb  :)  thumb

825675845[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one RUBLIND!!! I have no problem with my kid going to public or private. I do have a problem with recruiting. In a way it is cheating the kids that have attended that particular school system public or private their entire lives. Those kids lose out that weren't recruited and my miss an opportunity b/c of that circumstance. So yes I agree any program Private or Public that recruits should be punished to the fullest extent!!! If I found out a coach was doing that at the school where my kid attended I might transfer my kid. But again I'm with you I have no beef with Private or Public just recruiting and if you have the proof on a program then put it to them!!! You have my support!!! But I do agree that Mississippi's way seems like the way to go that way there would be no problems between Public and Private sports. All would be fair. thumb thumb

Good point in there somewhere!  You're right if that is the parents intentions.  I have no problem with that.  But isn't it ironic that most of the kids who transfer are stand out atheletes???  Plus I don't think this coach recruits students for the good of the school.  He doesn't approach kids and say hey I saw your name in the paper for making the Honor Roll.  No he approaches kids that are stnd out atheletes.  And it helps if the parents have a good income for him to work with as well.  Come on man!!  You can same song me all you want.  What would the atheletes do if we were like Mississippi where Private schools are in their on division.  They would probably stay in the Public school system.  And no I don't think a kid belongs to anyone but their parents!!  Anyone who thinks differnetly than that is an idiot!!  I also have no problem with parents doing what you said.  Private Schools provide excellent academics and have other positives as well but I only agree if it was the parents and the kids choice without any contact from the Private School's Coach!!!  Now do you understand my piont???  I'm against RECRUITING!!!!  PRIVATE OR PUBLIC!!!  thumb  :)  thumb

825675845[/snapback]

So if the current starting quarterback for a local 5A school played his middle school sports at a private school, would you say he was recruited? If an all-state wide receiver at another local 5A school (in the same city, BTW) played his middle school ball at that same private school...was he recruited?

Warning...don't say yes because these are true scenarios.

But if you say no, then where's your case? Do you seriously think that these families did not speak with the public school coaches before skeedaddling? Should they not be able to do so? I don't think so.

Parents and kids make decisions based on what they feel is best for them. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

PS: Bonus points to whomever can name the two 5A schools and the Private school. :)

So if the current starting quarterback for a local 5A school played his middle school sports at a private school, would you say he was recruited?  If an all-state wide receiver at another local 5A school (in the same city, BTW) played his middle school ball at that same private school...was he recruited? 

Warning...don't say yes because these are true scenarios.

But if you say no, then where's your case?  Do you seriously think that these families did not speak with the public school coaches before skeedaddling?  Should they not be able to do so?  I don't think so.

Parents and kids make decisions based on what they feel is best for them.  Don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

PS: Bonus points to whomever can name the two 5A schools and the Private school.  :)

825676013[/snapback]

Well if the kid went to the Private school for several years and the Coach of the Public school approached first about playing ball for him. Then I'd say that he was in violation of recruiting. If he left the Private school for the Public school without first contact being from the Public school Coach then that is fair. Recruiting is not fair but hard to get caught on. Some people might say that the Public School in the situation you stated above is not recruiting if the kids are zoned to go to his Public school. Then to those people who say this, you would say that that wasn't fair for them to not be in violation. Then they'd say that it isn't fair that any kid in any zone can go to any Private school they want but any kid can't go to any Public school that they want. Private schools can get kids from anywhere when Public schools can only get the kids that are in their zone.

You can go back and forth with this but the fact is like WJBDEVILS said the best thing to solve all problems is to do like Mississippi and let Privates have their own Division separate from Public.