tbca showcase try-outs

pccoach

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the format should be either one of two ways in order for the process to be entirely fair:

1. - Move the tryouts until after the season.

2. - Don't let the players from the teams who make it to the Spring Fling be allowed to try out.

The teams who make it to the State Tournament get to play in front of tons of scouts and they have more games to play to get a chance to impress them. Live Game situations are usually the best time to stand out anyway, imo. That way politcs isn't involved so much.

- Also, what should a player who thinks he has what it takes, and would like to give it a shot at the tryout, what does that player need to do?

I'll try and take a different tone with this post.

Grad, sorry if I took your response the wrong way, but I took it the way I read it.

That being said, it is my belief that these teams should be chosen without any tryout at all. I believe the coaching staffs already have a very good idea of who they want on their teams prior to any tryouts. I foster these beliefs because I have attended 2 tryouts and 2 games.

I have witnessed kids absolutely tearing up the ball at the plate (10-15 swings, 5 out of the park, the rest either off the fence or one hoppers) and looking very good in the field not get chosen at all. That is why I feel the way I do.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great showcase. I just don't think you should dangle the carrot by offering tryouts when the team has already been chosen.

no the tryout doesn't cost anything, nor does the showcase.

Catsbackr, I completely agree with you on this one. I have also witnessed the same exact things you mentioned. My understanding of the purpose for the Worth showcase is to help these kids be seen by scouts. If that is the case, why would you allow freshman, or to be sophomores, a spot on the team. Make this a junior and senior only showcase. Now, if you are trying to put together an "allstar" team like the Sunbelt, that's a different story.

I bet if you ask the scouts in attendence what they would prefer to see, they would tell you current juniors, and graduating seniors that haven't already committed to a college. I may make a note or two about a sophomore that stands out at the showcase, but I'm definitely not going to give him as much attention as I would a junior or graduating senior. Nor do I want to go and see kids that have already signed/committed to other programs, or kids that are already on the "radar". IMO, this is mainly an allstar game of players that most of us have already seen or heard about. Very few times has there been those "surprises" that we come to see. On the flip side, I have seen some kids that have had great seasons, and have "bad" outings that hurt them at this showcase.

there will always be some deserving kids that don't make the team , but the tbca is trying to do the best we can, for the players that are there they will have a great opportunity, with the topic of players who's teams make it to the state tourney not being on the team-- THIS IS WRONG, the reason for saying this is there are 32 teams in the tournament and there is no way that every scout or college coach will see everyone( i hate it but some smaller schools might not get seen) and these kids have helped their schools get this far and they should not punished and have to miss the showcase.

dealing with some travel team coaches is really hard to do, if we start having try-outs on june 4th of this year, it would mean we are taking up two weekends and then players would have more problems and this is not what we are trying to do. i believe that if a summer coach will not let a player come to the showcase(just a friday and saturday), the coach is worried more about himself than the player and this does happen.

DL- you helped me make my point. Over half of the scouts are gone after Sat.

Don't get me wrong, I think this showcase is a wonderful thing for TBCA to put on for these kids. Just think it can be tweaked somewhat. Heck, we all know that these kids have to pay $300-500 normally for a showcase, and most of those showcases don't get the attention from scouts as this one has. As I mentioned before, I think too many kids are getting left out that, because of their team not having a good year, or not having a coach that will promote them as he should, aren't going to make the team because of slots being filled from players still in the playoffs.

pccoach- if a summer coach is worth his "salt" he wouldn't deny his players the opportunity to tryout or go to the tournament. Additionally, who is being punished more by over half the slots being filled from teams in the state tourn., or the ones that rip the cover off the ball at the tryouts and don't have a chance in #### making the team? As has been mentioned for the last several years. I've seen it happen the last 4 years myself. I've even seen kids make these showcases that don't tryout and their team isn't even in the state tournament. If these situations are going to continue, put the monkey on the H.S. coaches back and only take nominations, rather than giving these kids false hope that come to tryouts.

As I mentioned above, this showcase is a great opportunity for these kids and TBCA should be applauded for their efforts. But, some changes need to be made. Either promote this showcase as an All Star team picked by the coaches based on nominations or season stats, or make everyone go through the same process to be invited. Such as tryouts. No exceptions. The current system is leaving too many gray areas.