Who has signed softball scholarships in 2005?

skyhawk22

I coach JUCO ball and I can tell you that  1 girl per team may get a full "ATHLETIC" scholarship. There are very few that get it all through athletics. You will hear girls or parents tell you that daughter got a full ride. What they don't tell you is they got academic, lottery, and a partial athletic or minority  to complete the full scholarship. Shoot, if we give full "athletic" rides, we would have enough money for 5 1/2 players. The money just isn't there. Coaches have to spread their money out and get players that they need and maybe if you are a dominating pitcher, you might get a full ride. I would say that more like 2-3% might get a full athletic scholarship.

Plus, the rumor going around through the colleges now, our beloved state government is wanting to take away all athletic funding from state colleges!

Food for thought!

825688242[/snapback]

Very good post sftblcoach. Like I said, I am the assistant at a NAIA school and NONE of our players are getting full scholarships from softball. There may be a girl or two that gets the "full ride" but it is always coupled with the school's academic scholarships, HOPE program, etc. I don't know of any NAIA schools in Tennessee that are able to give more than maybe one true full softball scholarship. I hope the rumored cutting of athletic money from state schools is just a rumor. Taking away all athletic scholarships could not possibly have good consequences.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NAIA schools do not have unlimited scholarships. Also, most schools in NAIA (I can't speak for all) do not give "full rides" for athletics. If anything, it will be a combination of athletic and academic scholarship money...

I was expecting to see some more names on this thread. Some schools like to wait until the season is over to sign, so I was really hoping to see a lot more names out here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...