Who has signed softball scholarships in 2005?

skyhawk22

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bigchief Posted Today, 03:30 PM

The AVERAGE is probably in the 50-60% range if you count athletic money only, not academic, work study, grants etc. Pretty typical. Some more, some less.

The average is way below 50-60%, athletic money only. Probably more like 25% or less is more accurate. 11.5 scholarships don't go far if you give girls full rides.

Actually, it depends on the number of players you want to carry. If you are like Tory up in Cookeville and carry 25 girls on your roster then no it doesn't go far. However, if you carry 16 like you should then it can be spread out better. Again, it depends on each coach's different approach. I had a pitcher go to the SEC and get 75%. I had a shortstop go to TTU and get 25%. A full ride at a JUCO is not as expensive as a full ride at say Lipscomb. Each school has to do what is best for them. Some take a few players and develop them over time. Others take the shotgun approach and figure if they put enough of them out there, one of them will hit. Apples and oranges. Also, NAIA does not have a set number of scholarships. Whatever the school can come up with. Only NCAA I an II. I don't think the original question specified NCAA only.

Edited by bigchief

Bigchief said....

"Also, NAIA does not have a set number of scholarships. Whatever the school can come up with. Only NCAA I an II. I don't think the original question specified NCAA only."

I work at an NAIA institution and have some experience in this area. We are nowhere near fully funded, but there is a rule in the NAIA about scholarship amounts. For softball, the NAIA rule is 10 total full scholarships. I believe that individual conferences may set their own limit below the NAIA limit if they wish.

You can find information on NCAA and NAIA limits at the following link. http://www.cpoacleveland.net/ncaanaiascholarship.htm

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but Bethany Burnett (pitcher) of Chester County has signed with Union University. Tarrah Tucker (pitcher) of Hickman County and Carmen Gulley (OF/2B) of Mt. Juliet have signed with Freed-Hardeman University.

I coach JUCO ball and I can tell you that 1 girl per team may get a full "ATHLETIC" scholarship. There are very few that get it all through athletics. You will hear girls or parents tell you that daughter got a full ride. What they don't tell you is they got academic, lottery, and a partial athletic or minority to complete the full scholarship. Shoot, if we give full "athletic" rides, we would have enough money for 5 1/2 players. The money just isn't there. Coaches have to spread their money out and get players that they need and maybe if you are a dominating pitcher, you might get a full ride. I would say that more like 2-3% might get a full athletic scholarship.

Plus, the rumor going around through the colleges now, our beloved state government is wanting to take away all athletic funding from state colleges!

Food for thought!