MEMPHIS VS NASHVILLE

Middle Tennessee the pressure is on.  I'm going to hold onto this list and see what happens next year.  If 9 or 10 of these boys aren't playing on the same team next year then somebody has dropped the ball.  Looks like Mr.B.com is ready to make it happen.  I've been affiliated with at least 12 of the players listed either through head coaching, assistant coaching, etc.

825682171[/snapback]

It'll never happen. Part of it is ego b/t kids not wanting to be selfless and part of it is distrust. Not sure how it is in Memphis but in Mid Tn there is much distrust between programs. Unfortunately, a lot of it is warranted through past actions. Once the people who really care about the kids get involved and start running programs the right way, things will be better.

Part of this post has to do with the Memphis kids playing harder. I submit that we need better influences at the younger ages and people who will teach these kids solid ideals and principles about being selfless and putting yourself on the line for your teammates. It is also reflective of the lackluster middle school coaches that teach bad work habits. Not all are bad, dont get me wrong, but most have no clue about the game and what it takes to teach kids the right way to play.

The rise of teams from Mid TN is very recent trend really so programs are really just being built now from the ground up. The Travelers used to have a stronghold on the best players from the Mid State but that has changed big time over the last 3 or so years; of course that causes a problem in and of itself.

It would be interesting to revisit this post in about 4 years and see where things stand.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is distrust in Memphis also. The thing I think will make a difference in other parts of the state is the retention of coaches, I'm thrilled to see the same coaches coming back year after year, it will help your players and should strengthen your programs. This is my 21st year, I've had some horrible teams, fortunately I've also had good people around to help me get better so I can do a better job for our players.

Edited by bigyomca

It'll never happen.  Part of it is ego b/t kids not wanting to be selfless and part of it is distrust.  Not sure how it is in Memphis but in Mid Tn there is much distrust between programs.  Unfortunately, a lot of it is warranted through past actions.  Once the people who really care about the kids get involved and start running programs the right way, things will be better.

Part of this post has to do with the Memphis kids playing harder.  I submit that we need better influences at the younger ages and people who will teach these kids solid ideals and principles about being selfless and putting yourself on the line for your teammates.  It is also reflective of the lackluster middle school coaches that teach bad work habits.  Not all are bad, dont get me wrong, but most have no clue about the game and what it takes to teach kids the right way to play.

The rise of teams from Mid TN is very recent trend really so programs are really just being built now from the ground up.  The Travelers used to have a stronghold on the best players from the Mid State but that has changed big time over the last 3 or so years; of course that causes a problem in and of itself. 

It would be interesting to revisit this post in about 4 years and see where things stand.

825682221[/snapback]

THERES ALWAYS GOING TO BE THINGS OUT THERE ABOUT COACHES AND PROGRAMS, THE THING IS ARE YOU GOING TO BELIVE WHAT YOU HERE????

YOU CANT BELIVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR CAUSE 99% OF THE TIME ITS NOT TRUE.....JUST LIKE WE HEAR THINGS ABOUT OTHER TEAMS AND PROGRAMS, AS WELL AS OUR OWN PROGRAM,,,DO WE LISTEN TO IT....NO...I'M PRETTY SURE THAT EVERYONE DOWN HERE WHO IS COACHING DOES IT FOR THE KIDS AND THE LOVE OF COACHING..THERE IS NO D-1 COACHING JOBS COMING OUT OF COACHING AAU...I DONT KNOW OF TWO MANY COACHES COACHING THEIR OWN KIDS IN MIDDLE EITHER...I KNOW OF 2 WHO IS COACHING THEIR SONS BUT THATS IT....SEE THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE...COACHES PUT THINGS OUT ABOUT OTHER COACHES,, PARENTS PUT THINGS OUT ABOUT OTHER PARENTS, AND COACHES, AND PLAYERS PUT THINGS OUT ABOUT WHAT THEY HEAR THEIR COACHES, AND PARENTS, SAYING ABOUT OTHER COACHES AND PARENTS TO OTHER PLAYERS....LOL......IF YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE BEEN THREW IT OR GOING THREW IT KNOW............FORGET THE PAST BECAUSE IT MIGHT NOT BE TRUE....TRUST PEOPLE......EVERYBODY IS NOT AN ENEMY.....HAY I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS TEAM GET TOGETHER...I KNOW OF 2 OF OUR PLAYERS EVEN TRYING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN....HEARD THEM AFTER THE STATE TALKING....IT WAS GOOD TO HEAR,,IF THEY SEE THAT THEY NEED TO COMBINE, MAYBEE THEY MIGHT PULL IT OFF......GET IT DONE GUYS........... thumb

Edited by Mr.B.com

Obviously not every rumor or allegation is true but there are plenty of instances where they are true. I think that is why a lot of teams separate.

Seems like "The Game" is suggesting that talented kids wont progress to college if everyone doesnt combine and put together a team of the best. First of all, there are way too many recruiting folks out there to let that happen. Check out www.unapproved website.com for an example. Andre covered the 15U state over the weekend and profiled his top 20 kids from the event. Vanderbilt signed a kid from AL that didnt even play AAU ball. The players will always be found in this day and age.

There is also another factor at play in the combining of teams. Where do the so-called non stars go. AAU is about relationships. Kids often want to play with coaches they have known and with other kids they are friends with. A lot of coaches dont want to cut kids they have known for years and like. Maybe that hurts the program, but it is also part of the deal in many cases.

I wouldnt hold it against a coach for cutting kids b/c that is his prerogative, but often times teams dont have that needed depth b/c they are carrying kids they have known for 3-5 years and dont contribute much on the court. It is just part of the dynamic.

Where should the line be drawn? Obviously depth is major in AAU events where you play multiple games in one day and just to have the best matchups. Just a personal decision from coach to coach as to whom to keep I guess.

v

Blackburn,

This is exactly what I am talking about. People have forgotten what AAU ball is really about. It is supposed to be teams that have the best talent in a certain area. When did AAU become about "relationships"? I'm saying that there is school ball and community league ball for those that are not aau material. I feel that the best talent that an area has, should be combined on 1 or 2 teams! AAU IS NOT FOR EVERBODY! THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE COMMUNITY CENTERS! It used to be that if a kid told me that he played summer ball, that meant that he was pretty good. My team has beaten teams by 40 or 50 points this spring. This is ridiculous. We are not even one of the top 3 in the state. C'mon guys, let's combine the kids. I will sit in the stands and watch the 4 or 5 good players I have get coached by someone else. No problem. Who else will step up?

THE GAME

Obviously not every rumor or allegation is true but there are plenty of instances where they are true.  I think that is why a lot of teams separate. 

Seems like "The Game" is suggesting that talented kids wont progress to college if everyone doesnt combine and put together a team of the best.  First of all, there are way too many recruiting folks out there to let that happen.  Check out www.unapproved website.com for an example.  Andre covered the 15U state over the weekend and profiled his top 20 kids from the event.  Vanderbilt signed a kid from AL that didnt even play AAU ball.  The players will always be found in this day and age.

There is also another factor at play in the combining of teams.  Where do the so-called non stars go.  AAU is about relationships.  Kids often want to play with coaches they have known and with other kids they are friends with.  A lot of coaches dont want to cut kids they have known for years and like.  Maybe that hurts the program, but it is also part of the deal in many cases.

I wouldnt hold it against a coach for cutting kids b/c that is his prerogative, but often times teams dont have that needed depth b/c they are carrying kids they have known for 3-5 years and dont contribute much on the court.  It is just part of the dynamic.

Where should the line be drawn?  Obviously depth is major in AAU events where you play multiple games in one day and just to have the best matchups.  Just a personal decision from coach to coach as to whom to keep I guess.

825682474[/snapback]

I like what the game said i think every coach in the 13 14 15 16 year old should get together and we should all come to some kind of agreement to get the best kids on one or two teams and let those be your traveling teams and all the rest of the kids would then try out for the what we should call developmental teams and then we would have every level of comepetion playing in the summer. but if you keep having 2 or 3 of the best players playing on one team and so on we will never get anywhere. it will take alot of scarifice from alot of people and maybe we can come together and make some kind of nashville aau board where you have one person from every program on it get these kids on the court together. but coaches will have to put personal feelings aside with there kids and other coaches and parents. I beleive that aau ball is for getting these kids seen on a national level and alot of these kids on these teams are not ready for aau div 1 some are ready for div2 but alot arent ready for anything. i would really hope we could all get together to put something big for next season down because we do have the talent to comepet nationally if we had 1 or 2 teams at every level. Lets make it happen.

Brandon Powell

Tenn. Fire

I like what the game said i think every coach in the 13 14 15 16 year old should get together and we should all come to some kind of agreement to get the best kids on one or two teams and let those be your traveling teams and all the rest of the kids would then try out for the what we should call developmental teams and then we would have every level of comepetion playing in the summer. but if you keep having 2 or 3 of the best players playing on one team and so on we will never get anywhere. it will take alot of scarifice from alot of people and maybe we can come together and make some kind of nashville aau board where you have one person from every program on it get these kids on the court together. but coaches will have to put personal feelings aside with there kids and other coaches and parents. I beleive that aau ball is for getting these kids seen on a national level and alot of these kids on these teams are not ready for aau div 1 some are ready for div2 but alot arent ready for anything. i would really hope we could all get together to put something big for next season down because we do have the talent to comepet nationally if we had 1 or 2 teams at every level. Lets make it happen.

Brandon Powell

Tenn. Fire

825682491[/snapback]

THERES WAYS THIS CAN BE DONE AN EVERY PROGRAM STILL BE INVOLVED WITH AAU...NOT EVERY KID OUT THERE CAN PLAY ON THIS ONE TEAM...MAYBEE 2 TEAMS IN EACH AGE DIVISION...

JUST LIKE BIG-Y SAID....THEIR TOP TEAMS ARE NOT UNDER ONE ORG. THEIR SPREAD OUT BETWEEN PROGRAMS

17U-ONE PROGRAM

16U-ONE PROGRAM

15U-ONE PROGRAM

SO ON

COACHES THE TEAMS WILL STILL BE THERE EXCEPT FOR 1 OR 2 PLAYERS...

THERES ALOT OF WAYS TO MAKE THIS WORK AND STILL EACH PROGRAM COULD HAVE MONSTER TEAMS...AND WITH MONSTER TEAMS COMES SPONSORSHIP..THATS WHAT EVERY PROGRAM DOWN HERE LACKS..SPONSORSHIP..I KNOW OF 2 THAT HAS IT...YOU MAKE IT DEEP INTO THE NATIONALS, TOP 4, TOP 8 OR BETTER YET, WIN IT???THEN THE KIDS CAN BE SEEN NATION WIDE IN TOURNEYS, BIG TOURNEYS,,,INVITATIONALS-- THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN..AND EACH PROGRAM CAN STILL DO WHAT THEY DO WITH THEIR OTHER TEAMS..THEIR NOT GOING TO BE SLUM TEAMS..THEY STILL COULD COMPETE,,,STILL BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR NATIONALS...IF THEIRS ENOUGH TO BUILD TO TEAMS IN ONE AGE GROUP,,DO IT..PUT THEM IN TWO PROGRAMS.....HAY TALK IS CHEAP......I'M WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN...COACHES STEP UP AND DONT LET PRIDE GET YOU....LETS BUILD A WINNER IN EACH AGE DIVISION...LETS BUILD 2 IN EACH AGE DIVISON..LETS MAKE MIDDLE TN A POWER-HOUSE....NEXT YEAR?????IT SHOULD BE ON..............................COACH B---STEPPIN UP...........

Edited by Mr.B.com

THERES WAYS THIS CAN BE DONE AN EVERY PROGRAM STILL BE INVOLVED WITH AAU...NOT EVERY KID OUT THERE CAN PLAY ON THIS ONE TEAM...MAYBEE 2 TEAMS IN EACH AGE DIVISION...

JUST LIKE  BIG-Y SAID....THEIR TOP TEAMS ARE NOT UNDER ONE ORG.  THEIR SPREAD OUT BETWEEN PROGRAMS

17U-ONE PROGRAM

16U-ONE PROGRAM

15U-ONE PROGRAM

SO ON

COACHES THE TEAMS WILL STILL BE THERE EXCEPT FOR 1 OR 2 PLAYERS...

THERES ALOT OF WAYS TO MAKE THIS WORK AND STILL EACH PROGRAM COULD HAVE MONSTER TEAMS...AND WITH MONSTER TEAMS COMES SPONSORSHIP..THATS WHAT EVERY PROGRAM DOWN HERE LACKS..SPONSORSHIP..I KNOW OF 2 THAT HAS IT...YOU MAKE IT DEEP INTO THE NATIONALS, TOP 4, TOP 8 OR BETTER YET,  WIN IT???THEN THE KIDS CAN BE SEEN NATION WIDE IN TOURNEYS, BIG TOURNEYS,,,INVITATIONALS-- THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN..AND EACH PROGRAM CAN STILL DO WHAT THEY DO WITH THEIR OTHER TEAMS..THEIR NOT GOING TO BE SLUM TEAMS..THEY STILL COULD COMPETE,,,STILL BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR NATIONALS...IF THEIRS ENOUGH TO BUILD TO TEAMS IN ONE AGE GROUP,,DO IT..PUT THEM IN TWO PROGRAMS.....HAY TALK IS CHEAP......I'M WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN...COACHES STEP UP AND DONT LET PRIDE GET YOU....LETS BUILD A WINNER IN EACH AGE DIVISION...LETS BUILD 2 IN EACH AGE DIVISON..LETS MAKE MIDDLE TN A POWER-HOUSE....NEXT YEAR?????IT SHOULD BE ON..............................COACH B---STEPPIN UP...........

825682520[/snapback]

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

825682530[/snapback]

ALL COACHES INTERESTED POST IT UP.......LETS AT LEAST TRY THIS...NO TEAM HAS WON THE NATIONALS....SOME WON THE CLASSIC BUT THATS NOT THE BIG DANCE.....TRY IT FOR A YEAR AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.. PULL OUT..THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN NEXT YEAR....NO REASON WHY IT SHOULDNT....COACHES ITS IN OUR HAND TO AT LEAST TRY IT...

ALL COACHES INTERESTED POST IT UP.......LETS AT LEAST TRY THIS...NO TEAM HAS WON THE NATIONALS....SOME WON THE CLASSIC BUT THATS NOT THE BIG DANCE.....TRY IT FOR A YEAR AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.. PULL OUT..THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN NEXT YEAR....NO REASON WHY IT SHOULDNT....COACHES ITS IN OUR HAND TO AT LEAST TRY IT...

825682543[/snapback]

I KNOW I WOULD BE IN...... BRANDON POWELL TENN. FIRE

I AM EASY TO ET A HOLD OF.

AAU was developed to give kids a forum to play in the summer. Now apparently it is only about giving the best kids a chance to play? A lot of times those kids that arent the best will also get looks from smaller colleges b/c they are seen on the team with a good player that can take them a couple rounds into an event. If you dont think relationships are critical, just look around at kids on teams and see how they got there. X knows Y who knows B who knows this superstar kid. Coach A used to Coach with Coach C but there was a falling out. Half the kids went with Coach A's new team and half with Coach C's new team. Sound familiar to Middle TN? Relationships are everything. That is why there isnt a cohesive Mid TN program, b/c relationships have been tarnished over the years.

If teams want to combine, then fine, I dont have any problem with that. But it is much more complicated than that. There is no reason Mr. B shouldn't explore all these options. I applaud him for having a vision and trying to make it happen.

CCB is right, there are a lot people out there to make a buck off a shoe deal. However, just because you have a shoe logo on your chest, it doesnt mean you are making money. If you are making profit, then you are doing something wrong anyway. All that money should go into a non-profit mechanism. Some people get so ingrained with the shoe companies that problems start. its happening in TN right now, a couple bad years, a disatisfied company, and a program desperate and willing to do anything to get back on top.

We have been over the fact that kids are gaining exposure everywhere now and outlets continue to grow, so I want someone to answer this thoughtfully because I am honestly curious as to the response, Why does this one super team really need to exist?