MEMPHIS VS NASHVILLE

GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS....THIS MAY UPSET SOME TOO.....

WHY IS IT THAT MEMPHIS KIDS PLAY HARDER THAN NASHVILLE/LOCAL/SURROUNDING KIDS...

FROM WHAT IVE SEEN THIS AAU SEASON, MEMPHIS IS REPRESENTING..THEY COME TO THE GYM, TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS AND GET OUT OF THERE...

FROM THIS PAST WEEKEND I SEEN THAT MEMPHIS KIDS DONT HAVE ATTITUDES, DONT TALK BACK TO THE COACH, DONT TALK TO THE REF ON BAD CALLS... THEY JUST PLAY.....NOT SAYING EVERY KID FROM NASHVILLE AND SURROUNDING AREAS DOES THIS, BUT THEIRS ALOT THAT DO..

THEY PLAY THE GAME AND PLAY IT HARD..

THEY GET AFTER YOU. THEY PLAY EVERY GAME LIKE ITS A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

I KNOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE WHO CAN SEE THIS..

ITS THE TRUTH...MOST OF OUR BOYS DOWN HERE CARE MORE ABOUT WHATS GOING ON AFTER THE GAME THAN THE GAME. WE HAVE ALOT OF GOOD TALENT DOWN HERE, BUT

1. THE LOVE FOR THE GAME ISNT THERE.

2. NOT WILLING TO SACRAFICE FOR THE TEAM.

3. NOT WILLING TO PLAY EVERY GAME LIKE ITS THE LAST.

4. SHARE THE SPOT-LIGHT

5. WORK HARD

6. LISTEN

I WATCHED 2 COACHES FROM MEMPHIS TEAR INTO THE KIDS ON THE TEAM DURING THE GAME.. THE KID NEVER MADE A REMARK, NO FACE JUSTURES, NO NOTHING.. WENT TO THE BENCH, GOT A TOWEL AND A DRINK AND SAT DOWN..DIDNT EVEN TRY TO EXPLAIN NOTHING.. JUST SAT DOWN AND WAITED FOR HIS TIME TO GET BACK INTO THE GAME..

ITS TIME TO CATCH UP..

I KNOW ALOT OF THE KIDS READ THE POST ON HERE. HOW DO YOU THINK YOU PLAY..DO YOU GIVE A 100% IN THE GAME OR 75% IN THE GAME. BE HONEST..

SEEMS LIKE WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO AS COACHES, PLAYERS, FANS AND AS PARENTS/NOT JUST SUMMER COACHES, HIGH SCHOOL, JR. HIGH ALSO.

I CAN TAKE THE HEAT OVER THIS ONE..BUT I ONLY CAN CALL HOW I SEE IT

MEMPHIS, GOOD JOB

THUNDER GOOD TOURNEY

Edited by Mr.B.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS....THIS MAY UPSET SOME TOO.....

WHY IS IT THAT MEMPHIS KIDS PLAY HARDER THAN NASHVILLE/LOCAL/SURROUNDING KIDS...

FROM WHAT IVE SEEN THIS AAU SEASON,  MEMPHIS IS REPRESENTING..THEY COME TO THE GYM, TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS AND GET OUT OF THERE...

FROM THIS PAST WEEKEND I SEEN THAT MEMPHIS KIDS DONT HAVE ATTITUDES, DONT TALK BACK TO THE COACH, DONT TALK TO THE REF ON BAD CALLS... THEY JUST PLAY.....NOT SAYING EVERY KID FROM NASHVILLE AND SURROUNDING AREAS DOES THIS, BUT THEIRS ALOT THAT DO..

THEY PLAY THE GAME AND PLAY IT HARD..

THEY GET AFTER YOU.  THEY PLAY EVERY GAME LIKE ITS A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

I KNOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE WHO CAN SEE THIS..

ITS THE TRUTH...MOST OF OUR BOYS DOWN HERE CARE MORE ABOUT WHATS GOING ON AFTER THE GAME THAN THE GAME.  WE HAVE ALOT OF GOOD TALENT DOWN HERE, BUT

1.  THE LOVE FOR THE GAME ISNT THERE.

2.  NOT WILLING TO SACRAFICE FOR THE TEAM.

3.  NOT WILLING TO PLAY EVERY GAME LIKE ITS THE LAST.

4.  SHARE THE SPOT-LIGHT

5.  WORK HARD

6.  LISTEN

I WATCHED 2 COACHES FROM MEMPHIS TEAR INTO THE KIDS ON THE TEAM DURING THE GAME..  THE KID NEVER MADE A REMARK, NO FACE JUSTURES, NO NOTHING.. WENT TO THE BENCH, GOT A TOWEL AND A DRINK AND SAT DOWN..DIDNT EVEN TRY TO EXPLAIN NOTHING..  JUST SAT DOWN AND WAITED FOR HIS TIME TO GET BACK INTO THE GAME..

ITS TIME TO CATCH UP..

I KNOW ALOT OF THE KIDS READ THE POST ON HERE.  HOW DO YOU THINK YOU PLAY..DO YOU GIVE A 100% IN THE GAME OR 75% IN THE GAME.  BE HONEST..

SEEMS LIKE WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO AS COACHES, PLAYERS, FANS AND AS PARENTS/NOT JUST SUMMER COACHES, HIGH SCHOOL, JR. HIGH ALSO.

I CAN TAKE THE HEAT OVER THIS ONE..BUT I ONLY CAN CALL HOW I SEE IT

MEMPHIS,  GOOD JOB

THUNDER GOOD TOURNEY

825681327[/snapback]

I agree but you gotta realize the kids from Memphis live and die for a basketball..They eat, sleep, and breathe basketball..You see more outdoor courts and rec centers filled with people playing...As a group they take basketball alot more seriously than kids from Nashville or Middle TN..I think Middle TN kids feel theres other things to do and they take basketball for granted where as the kids from Memphis have seen first hand what basketball can do for them as far as getting a free education/pros..

Mr. B,

Thanks for the kind words. I think some of your observations come from the fact that our roster spots are so competitive. We replaced 2 players before the state whose parents or the players themselves were griping about minutes.

We try to sell our players on being something bigger than themselves, on sacrificing their minutes and points for the betterment of the team, our 15's have bought into it, so far.

I still think the rest of the state is closing the gap on Memphis, from a talent standpoint, depth is our greatest advantage.

The people who run the Elite and a few others in the middle part of the state are starting to have a vision and understanding of what it takes to compete nationally, I personally love to see the Ballerz and others do well nationally, it reinforces my belief that not only is Memphis hoops nationally on an elite level, but the whole state as well.

My hat is off to the Thunder program for the great job they did with the 15-under state tournament.

I agree! The TN Thunder organization did a nice job with the 15-U State Tournament this past weekend. Everything ran smooth and the TN Thunder organization was very professional.

Big YOMCA makes a great point about the state being on an elite level and how other organizations are starting to develop a vision to succeed nationally.

Mr. B,

Thanks for the kind words. I think some of your observations come from the fact that our roster spots are so competitive. We replaced 2 players before the state whose parents or the players themselves were griping about minutes.

We try to sell our players on being something bigger than themselves, on sacrificing their minutes and points for the betterment of the team, our 15's have bought into it, so far.

I still think the rest of the state is closing the gap on Memphis, from a talent standpoint, depth is our greatest advantage.

The people who run the Elite and a few others in the middle part of the state are starting to have a vision and understanding of what it takes to compete nationally, I personally love to see the Ballerz and others do well nationally, it reinforces my belief that not only is Memphis hoops nationally on an elite level, but the whole state as well.

My hat is off to the Thunder program for the great job they did with the 15-under state tournament.

825681488[/snapback]

I agree but you gotta realize the kids from Memphis live and die for a basketball..They eat, sleep, and breathe basketball..You see more outdoor courts and rec centers filled with people playing...As a group they take basketball alot more seriously than kids from Nashville or Middle TN..I think Middle TN kids feel theres other things to do and they take basketball for granted where as the kids from Memphis have seen first hand what basketball can do for them as far as getting a free education/pros..

825681378[/snapback]

WE HAVE TO GET OUR BOYS TO HAVE THAT SAME MENTALITY, AND TO COME TOGETHER FOR A TEAM THAT CAN COMPETE NATIONALLY. AT LEAST TRY TO BUILD SOMETHING AFTER STATE...THE ONLY TEAM I SEEN THAT COULD COMPETE AT THE NATIONALS WERE THE Y. STALLIONS, THUNDER, ELITE, TRAVELERS, AND THE MEMPHIS WARRIORS WERE NOT DEEP ENOUGH FOR THE NATIONALS. THEY ALL WILL COMPETE TO A CERTAIN LEVEL AT THE NATIONALS BUT ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH..I KNOW WERE LOOKING TO PICK UP 3 OR 4 PLAYERS TO ADD TO OUR STALLIONS ROSTER SO WE CAN COMPETE AT THE NATIONALS.

This is a great post with very valid discussion. There are way too many egos in Middle Tennesee (and I hear it's the same in the east). I for one have made sacrifices, putting my personal desires to win as a head coach aside to help other organizations build winners and something better for the kids in middle Tennessee. A post on here about a month ago challenged me as to why I got out of head coaching as if I were afraid to compete, but at this stage in the game it is more important for me to see my son and other top players around the mid-state combine to represent Nashville on a national level than it is for me to walk around Nashville and brag about what I have done on the local level. When more coaches and parents start making sacrifices and setting examples of some things being more important than just themselves then just maybe we can start convincing some of these players to do the same.

There are too many head coaches in AAU, that won't even listen to their own assistants, experts of the game, or even high school, college level coaches that can help these organizations get better, and then we have a hard time trying to figure out why the kids won't listen to us. No one wants to bring anyone note-worthy into their organization because everyone is worried about the next coach stealing their glory.

I think I watched a game where the Y's head coach sat in the stands and let his assistant coaches coach and I'm certain he was not tossed from the game or anything. Coaches around here are blinded by their overconfidence that they don't trust anyone else can help make their team better other than themselves or even coach without them.

The players and their ability is here as far as Middle Tennessee is concerned to compete at a much higher level, but it is going to take heck to freeze over before some will break down and put their top talent under one umbrella.

Edited by AirForceOne

i will have to agree with AFO the talent is here to compete but the talent is not here to have all these aau teams with the best boys split up we will never be able to compete on a national level until coaches,and aau programs come together and put together teams because right now the talent is spread too thin. Any body have any ideas i know at the 14 year old level if you would have taken the best players out of metro middle school and put them together you would have probably had enough for 2 good teams but one of those teams would have been real good and both would have been able to compete nationally. but because everybody is split up the only team out of nashville to get a bid to nationals was SE Elite. We need to get most of these boys on one or two different teams and then you will see a change.......

I THINK HENLEY, DE. MASON, MIKE WILLIAMS, MCADOO, MARIO WILLIAMS, CALDWELL AND A FEW OTHERS WOULD GIVE THAT YOMCA STARTING FIVE A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.....BUT BE REAL THESE DAYS ANYBODY WITH $500 DOLLARS CAN GET A AAU TEAM. NASHVILLE WAKE UP YOMCA ALREADY FIGURED IT OUT.. THEY TOOK THE BEST MEMPHIS HAS TO OFFER AND C O M B I N E D THEM TO MAKE A TEAM AND NOT JUST 3 GOOD PLAYERS AND SOME FRIENDS.......STOP SAYING WHAT IF AND COACHES THROW THOSE EGOS TO THE SIDE.....ALL OF YALL COACHES CAN STILL GO TO DISNEY AND HAVE A GOOD TIME YOU MIGHT WIN MORE GAMES...I AM THREW AND I AM THROWING THE MIC DOWN....HOLLA :)

I THINK HENLEY, DE. MASON, MIKE WILLIAMS, MCADOO, MARIO WILLIAMS, CALDWELL AND A FEW OTHERS WOULD GIVE THAT YOMCA STARTING FIVE A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.....BUT BE REAL THESE DAYS ANYBODY WITH $500 DOLLARS CAN GET A AAU TEAM. NASHVILLE WAKE UP YOMCA ALREADY FIGURED IT OUT.. THEY TOOK THE BEST MEMPHIS HAS TO OFFER AND C O M B I N E D THEM TO MAKE A TEAM AND NOT JUST 3 GOOD PLAYERS AND SOME FRIENDS.......STOP SAYING WHAT IF AND COACHES THROW THOSE EGOS TO THE SIDE.....ALL OF YALL COACHES CAN STILL GO TO DISNEY AND HAVE A GOOD TIME YOU MIGHT WIN MORE GAMES...I AM THREW AND I AM THROWING THE MIC DOWN....HOLLA :)

825682081[/snapback]

GOOD POINT...ITS FUNNY TOO...EVERY PLAYER UP THERE EXCEPT MCADOO AND MARIO WEVE HAD THE PREVILAGE OF COACHING...ADD TO THAT LIST

CALDWELL-TRAVELERS.

MASON-STALLIONS

WILLIAMS-SE ELITE

WILLIAMS-THUNDER

HENLEY-SE ELITE

ELLISON-STALLIONS

WATSON-STALLIONS

STEVE-STALLIONS

WILLIS-STALLIONS

MARCUS-THUNDER

MCADOO-THUNDER

BIG BOY-SE ELITE

UPTON-THUNDER

WISDOM-SE ELITE

CANEBRIDGE-STALLIONS

JERMY-THUNDER

EVEN WITH OUT CALDWELL THAT TEAM WOULD BE A MONSTER....LOOK AT IT GOOD CAUSE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.......

I sat in stands by choice, to give a young guy the opportunity to be in the fire. We try to put the areas best on one team, at 17 Pump N RUN has the best players, the Y at 16 and 15, Bellevue at 14, the Y and Bellevue at 13.

It makes a huge difference.

Edited by bigyomca

GOOD POINT...ITS FUNNY TOO...EVERY PLAYER UP THERE EXCEPT MCADOO AND MARIO WEVE HAD THE PREVILAGE OF COACHING...ADD TO THAT LIST

CALDWELL-TRAVELERS.

MASON-STALLIONS

WILLIAMS-SE ELITE

WILLIAMS-THUNDER

HENLEY-SE ELITE

ELLISON-STALLIONS

WATSON-STALLIONS

STEVE-STALLIONS

WILLIS-STALLIONS

MARCUS-THUNDER

MCADOO-THUNDER

BIG BOY-SE ELITE

UPTON-THUNDER

WISDOM-SE ELITE

CANEBRIDGE-STALLIONS

JERMY-THUNDER

EVEN WITH OUT CALDWELL THAT TEAM WOULD BE A MONSTER....LOOK AT IT GOOD CAUSE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.......

825682118[/snapback]

Middle Tennessee the pressure is on. I'm going to hold onto this list and see what happens next year. If 9 or 10 of these boys aren't playing on the same team next year then somebody has dropped the ball. Looks like Mr.B.com is ready to make it happen. I've been affiliated with at least 12 of the players listed either through head coaching, assistant coaching, etc.