KNOCK OUT!

seymourbsbll19

This really happened ?I know We have a big rival with Ripley but we would not go to this extreme. That is teaching these kids the wrong message. Sounds like this kid should play football or box other than baseball a non contact sport.

825683378[/snapback]

Yes it did and their coach didn't do anything about it or for that matter the umps cause they seen the hole thing happen also.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not an umpire issue for that kid throwing a punch to his teammate. That is an internal issue between the coach & player. If that kid punched a kid on the other team then the umpire would take action. The umpire does not need to butt in on team issues. He has other issues to worry about.

825683290[/snapback]

You are wrong. I guess if a SS throws a punch at his 2nd Baseman on the field then that's okay too. It is his teammate after all. That's a rediculous statement. An umpire has jurisdiction over all matters once he/she steps through the gate. It's because of this kind of lack of control that umpires are required to "butt" in.

I wasn't there, but I do umpire. If the umpire is looking in the dugout, can he see whether the pitch is a ball or a strike or if the pitcher's foot was on the rubber? Blue shouldn't be looking in the dugout unless it's between innings. The dugout is the coach's responsibility. The play at first might be a different story. One guy says the baserunner threw an elbow, another says it was a clean play. No call sounds about right to me. Don't blame Blue, blame the coach if he's got a kid out of control.

I wasn't there, but I do umpire.  If the umpire is looking in the dugout, can he see whether the pitch is a ball or a strike or if the pitcher's foot was on the rubber?  Blue shouldn't be looking in the dugout unless it's between innings.  The dugout is the coach's responsibility.  The play at first might be a different story.  One guy says the baserunner threw an elbow, another says it was a clean play.  No call sounds about right to me.  Don't blame Blue, blame the coach if he's got a kid out of control.

825683402[/snapback]

I umpire as well at levels much higher than this game but whether you or I umpire is not at question here. It has been stated several times that at least one official witnessed this. It seems to me that it happened between innings so a pitch or a foot on the rubber does not come into play. Again, the coach should handle the situation after the fact, after he was ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. The play at first is another matter. This sounds like a judgement call which can't be appealed anyway, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the umpire on that one.

... Lets crucify this PF kid.

OK, all you armchair coaches should be professional coaches from the stands because you really know what your talking about... This is a team matter, why get the TSSAA involved. He didn't attack the other team.

You have spent a few days with these player... They have spent months with each other day in and day out..

They are family.

When you get in a fight with a family member, you shouldn't get kicked out of the family. This is a stressful time in the tourney, emotions run high. If you look at a woman in labor, she says terrible things to her husband while giving birth, do they need to diviorce?

Have a death in the family and see how long it takes brothers or sisters to disagree and fight.

Emotions cause conflict. Becasue baseball, footbal, basketball, etc. are contact sports, people might make contact with each other. Happens in football all the time, but the players can be best friernds after practice, they realize that it is a game.

You armchair coaches who sit in the stands probably have a pretty high chair to watch the games from, i am sure none of you realize how arrogant you look to onlookers

The very nature of sports brings athletes as close as possible, then tells them to compete with each other. Things will happen, but to disown your family for getting upset... Kinda sounds like the people complaining about it are probably from the team that lost. Sore loser maybe, hoping that him getting kicked out of the state of tennessee would have helped YOU win the game.

Wow, if you all only knew how ignorant you sounded. First of all, NONE of you know the whole story and for you to get on here and talk about it like you do makes me feel sorry for you. You have no idea what was said between the boys. Whoever said that TSSAA or the umpires should have done something about this, well i dont know what you are thinking. Tell me this...are the officials inside the locker rooms at halftime of basketball and football games?...I think not, what goes on inside a locker room, field house, or dug out is the teams business. Secondly unless you know the coaches personally you need to keep your mouth shut about their character or discpiline. Obviously the coaches have some of both to get their team to a state champhionship game. You might disagree with me but why punish the entire teams shot at a state championship by taking out the kid? Im sure disciplinary actions will be taken when the team arrives back in Pigeon Forge. This Pigeon Forge team deserves some respect. The Mountain Press has been great to them, but the New Sentinal and the Knoxville TV programs haven't. A man covering the game from our hometown local news station was saying at the game how Seymour should have been there instead...Hello we beat Seymour twice...and the second time absolutly killed them, it wasnt even close. These boys weren't even picked to win their district this year and they have brought a silver ball back to East Tennessee...can no one say anything good about them and their coaches? Give Pigeon Forge some well deserved and earned respect!!

Also to muffin...hello everyones season is over! And only 1 other teams in the state in AA baseball played as long as Pigeon Forge and thats DL

And to the Ripley fans...Pigeon Forge did not have a sign telling anyone to shut up. Yes one did say sit down in your seat, but if you have ever been to a Smokies game or any other pro baseball game, that saying is used alot. I still dont understand why the Ripley fans got so mad PF had signs? Its a state tournament there are gonna be fans. If you dont like that many fans and their signs then I strongly advise you to never go to a state tournament basketball game.

Edited by bball35

People defending this kid and his actions are crazy. What happened to Latrell Sprewell when he choked a coach at practice? Suspended. Ron Artest goes in the stand hits someone suspended. My junior year of high school on the football team their was a fight after practice and once the coaches and administrators found out they suspended them both for one game just for participating. One was our starting MLB. We lost that game was it all his fault, no, but we felt the effects of his actions on the field that night and knew that on this team you will be responsible for your actions on and off the field.You can't go around hitting people just because your emotions are running high. It is the law. I don't care if their teammates. I have nevere wanted to physically harm any one of my teammates. Yeah I disagree with them, get angry with them, but not knocking someone out cold. I didn't have to be there I have heard from reliable sources that were there what happened. An the coach taking no action does show his lack of discipline of his team. He showed his character. People don't remember the great things you do but they remember the big mistakes that you made. Now when I think of PF baseball it won't be their great run to the state, but the coaches bad decision to not discipline a player who was out of control.

Wow, if you all only knew how ignorant you sounded. First of all, NONE of you know the whole story and for you to get on here and talk about it like you do makes me feel sorry for you. You have no idea what was said between the boys. Whoever said that TSSAA or the umpires should have done something about this, well i dont know what you are thinking. Tell me this...are the officials inside the locker rooms at halftime of basketball and football games?...I think not, what goes on inside a locker room, field house, or dug out is the teams business. Secondly unless you know the coaches personally you need to keep your mouth shut about their character or discpiline. Obviously the coaches have some of both to get their team to a state champhionship game. You might disagree with me but why punish the entire teams shot at a state championship by taking out the kid? Im sure disciplinary actions will be taken when the team arrives back in Pigeon Forge. This Pigeon Forge team deserves some respect. The Mountain Press has been great to them, but the New Sentinal and the Knoxville TV programs haven't. A man covering the game from our hometown local news station was saying at the game how Seymour should have been there instead...Hello we beat Seymour twice...and the second time absolutly killed them, it wasnt even close. These boys weren't even picked to win their district this year and they have brought a silver ball back to East Tennessee...can no one say anything good about them and their coaches? Give Pigeon Forge some well deserved and earned respect!!

Also to muffin...hello everyones season is over! And only 1 other teams in the state in AA baseball played as long as Pigeon Forge and thats DL

And to the Ripley fans...Pigeon Forge did not have a sign telling anyone to shut up. Yes one did say sit down in your seat, but if you have ever been to a Smokies game or any other pro baseball game, that saying is used alot. I still dont understand why the Ripley fans got so mad PF had signs? Its a state tournament there are gonna be fans. If you dont like that many fans and their signs then I strongly advise you to never go to a state tournament basketball game.

825683724[/snapback]

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. That's not the case here. NFHS rules state implicitly that "A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: a-f.......g. commit any unsportsmanlike act to include, but not limited to, 1...2. use of profanity, intimidation tactics, remarks reflecting unfavorably upon ANY other person, or taunting or baiting." That's the rule. Section 3 Article 1 2005 NFHS Rules Book. Furthermore, umpires are solely responsible for everything that occurs, not just outside the dugouts. Many lawsuits have been filed and won over similar situations. I for one would not want to be on the stand during an assault case with the only action being taken was that I "laughed" and said it is the coach's responsibility. Wrong answer. Finally, because someone states an opinion does not mean he is bashing the program or the coaches. This is not a situation that requires input from fans, parents, or anyone else. What they or you think simply does not matter. All that matters is the rule, and the rule is clear. If it is a bad rule, join the TSSAA rules committee and lobby to have it changed.

:P

CONGRATS TO PIGEON FORGE!!!  Whatever happened in the dugout is their business... not tssaa and definitely not Ripley's.  as for running over the 1st baseman. it was just a baseball play..it happens...not intentional....just playing hard and trying to get on base!!  I take nothing away from the Ripley kids...they play hard and have an excellent club..very impressed!...BUT!  their coaches and fans need to CHILL!!  very rude!!  Take a lesson from your kids and grow up!!

825683188[/snapback]

Ripley has argueably the best coach in the state with coach joe bridges.

I do not care if people get on here and state their opinions about the rules but when you start making false comments about people you dont even know then i think that is a little much. Please praise the kids and athletes as much as you want, but unless you know everything about the situation between the boys (i could care less about umps or whatever) then you sound ignorant. How about we talk about what a great run this Pigeon Forge team made and how well the boys played together and fought hard.