Elizabethton Coaches

CountryBoy4Life

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, the quicker the better.

Just sampling the print media reports on the subject, and as recently as this morning, the J C Press is still using words like "seemed," to discuss the changes at EHS: >>> "All three of those coaching moves seemed to be tied the recent reported allegations of improper computer use within the Elizabethton school system." <<<

Well, so what's wrong with using a "speculative" word when no "official" word is forthcoming?

For those who accuse writers or posters of "speculating," on this very immportant subject, it's most difficult to do otherwise while receiving ambiguous statements from those of authority.

Hopefully the highly-anticipated "Monday Meetings" will begin to clear the air, and end the guesswork.

Maybe I am not understanding Monday's meeting of concerned persons. From what I see it is disgruntled persons meeting or picketing the board's office. Or is it actually a meeting with some school officials? From what I can tell, no school officials have committed to being there for this reason. Did I miss something because I have no interest in holding a picket sign or being there for nothing.

Would someone clear the 'meeting' question up for me???

Roper is not going to back down. You can tell from his statement on the news tonight. HE HAS AN ATTORNEY HELPING HIM! This is not going to get better. The students are now heavily involved and that will make things hard for Roper and the School Board. He did say he was doing this for the good of the school. But he wouldn't expand on how these decisions help. This is far from over.

Be sure and read the JC Press this morning. Roper has basically made it clear that if any board member interferes that they would be removed from office. A direct quote. Is he challenging the entire city? He also had some words for a city councilman. What a joke he's made of himself. Warm up the tar and gather the feathers :lol:

Roper is on solid ground, till his next contract comes up! He will not back down and apparently he has the support of a majority of the board. The only option to reverse this would be for the board to terminate Roper and pay him the balance of his contract. That isnt going to happen. The students and parents can meet all they want. Richard Sammons can threaten all he wants. The decision will stand. Today's Elizabethton Star has a very enlightening interview with Roper. The focus now needs to be on getting the best possible replacements at EHS for all open positions. I hope they look outside the system for the baseball coach and principal. The irony is that Ed is still principal till the end of the month and may at least try and fill the two coaching positions. Should be interesting.

GLee:

Sammons is the joke. The city council has no power to tell the elected School Board anything. Sammons showed his ignorance in yesterdays Star. This is not like the electric system.

Edited by CyclonePride

Roper is on solid ground, till his next contract comes up!  He will not back down and apparently he has the support of a majority of the board.  The only option to reverse this would be for the board to terminate Roper and pay him the balance of his contract.  That isnt going to happen.  The students and parents  can meet all they want.  Richard Sammons can threaten all he wants.  The decision will stand.  Today's Elizabethton Star has a very enlightening interview with Roper.  The focus now needs to be on getting the best possible replacements at EHS for all open positions.  I hope they look outside the system for the baseball coach and principal.  The irony is that Ed is still principal till the end of the month and may at least try and fill the two coaching positions.  Should be interesting.

GLee:

Sammons is the joke.  The city council has no power to tell the elected School Board anything.  Sammons showed his ignorance in yesterdays Star.  This is not like the electric system.

825687917[/snapback]

I disagree Pride. Sammons took a stand in favor of Alexander and whether or not anything comes out of the city council, he'll be remembered for the position he took. I do know that the city does not control Roper, but there are ties. Money wise. As far as Roper, the only way to correct the mistake made in hiring him, will be a recall petition on the board members. I'll sign it and I bet there are 1199 more voters who will sign all three to make it happen. Three, as in for three board members. It will take persistance and time, but it will be worth it. I hate it, but Roper is not a 'fit' for this town.

As far as coaching, there is a good baseball coach in the system who is dedicated and a good teacher of the game. There is another interested party outside the system. From the feel I get, that slot may be filled from within. I'm at a loss on basketball, but I think it will come from outside. Contacts have been made and a move will be made pretty quick.

Back to the recall..... it will be tough to get done, but it could happen. Remember a couple of city councilmen in Bristol that went thru a recall. These things can happen if the right people get behind them......1200 city voter signatures are needed and the ball will role.

We just had a school board election last fall didnt we? Roper had already been hired. The recall petition is an option, but what do you do if its successful, and then you have an election and Ed gets his third vote and Roper is fired. What has really been accomplished? Spending a couple hundred thousand to buy out Roper and hold the election. Keep the school community torn apart all summer and into the fall? Make Ed the supt? This town is divided on this. Ed's detractors are not nearly as vocal as his supporters, but make no mistake, they are there. The internet scandal at EHS happened under his watch. Those hollering for full disclosure better be careful what they wish for.....

Edited by CyclonePride

We just had a school board election last fall didnt we?  Roper had already been hired.  The recall petition is an option, but what do you do if its successful, and then you have an election and Ed gets his third vote and Roper is fired.  What has really been accomplished?  Spending a couple hundred thousand to buy out Roper and hold the election.  Keep the school community torn apart all summer and into the fall?  Make Ed the supt?  This town is divided on this.  Ed's detractors are not nearly as vocal as his supporters, but make no mistake, they are there.  The internet scandal at EHS happened under his watch.  Those hollering for full disclosure better be careful what they wish for.....

825687946[/snapback]

If anyone would have been principal for several years, they would have enemies and friends. I know EA has burnt some bridges, but he has also done a good job of handling teenagers and running the school........from my eyesight. Until proven otherwise, and Roper refuses to do that, I and several others, feel his 'reassignment' is unjust and not right for the kids. Like I said, until proven otherwise. Until then, I'll stand by EA and some of the others who are being 'reassigned' until we can see a reason. I'm a tax payer and I feel we have the right to know some reasons. If they are just, then so be it....... do the reassignments. If they are not just, then do Roper and I certainly would not approach it as a buy-out. Roper has a history from his previous job and the board did not properly hire him. I don't think anyone can justify the way his hiring and salary considerations were handled.

As far as keeping the community torn apart until Fall........ it will be that way if nothing is done. It will also be that way if actions are taken. Maybe you should take a look at who brought all of this on with no explanation. He was 'smart' to wait until school was out so that the students wouldn't 'walk' on him. He was stupid for not being able to back up his actions. Personal problems should not be a consideration, but job performance should be. Show me that I am wrong on Ed and I'll hush, but I'll always have a personal high level of respect for him.

In any event, it will probably end up in a court room.

GLee: You wouldn't happen to be talking about a baseball coach who is already at the high school would you? And you wouldn't be talking about a teacher at a middle school would you? Just curious......

825687992[/snapback]

1 yes

2 no

and it's speculation from previous conversations.

Edited by GLee

I just heard today that the basketball team is holding practices this week and is still going to some team camps around northeast tenn. I'm not sure who is holding those practices but I believe it is the assistant coaches that were under Tony Hardin. I'm glad someone is doing something with those boys. Something positive needed to come out of this ordeal, it isn't much but it is a start.