Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"be realistic." u said it

listen do ya'll cloudland people think that if we(Hampton) were in ya'lls confrence last year yall would have been the champs..........NO ,remember we beat yall 28-8

but this season is a new season grant cloudland says that they are working hard

but so have we, we have been working as hard as they have, if not harder!

Infact in the elizabethton star J.C. Campbell himself said that in his many many years of coaching he has never seen this much leadership, hardwork, and excitment from any team that he has coached.......

825688628[/snapback]

hay frawg 71 read sundays paper and see what coach keith said about the migthy landers

hay frawg 71 read sundays paper and see what coach keith said about the migthy landers

825690288[/snapback]

An early preview of season to come

By Wes Holtsclaw

The local high school teams have completed their annual spring practice regimen, and already several coaches in the area have begun speculation as to whom the early favorites are in their conferences.

Coming out of early spring reports, and being antsy to write about the pigskin before my fourth year of the weekly high school football columns begin, I am ready to make my early predictions as to who the conference frontrunners are before summer practice begins.

Mountain East Conference (Should be Watauga Conference)

Since 1-2A should no longer be called the Watauga, we will keep the title with the Hampton Bulldogs, who have dropped down to the MEC and Single-A.

Speaking of the 'Dogs, they and their 300-pound average per man on the interior lines are the obvious front-runner entering the league this year.

Head coach J.C. Campbell and his crew of assistants, including one of the state's all-time winningest 1-A coaches in Mike Lunsford, bring back a load of talent, including the "Hit Man" Jon Potter to contend for the school's first state football title with no private schools to be found.

Look for Cloudland and Unaka to duke it out for second and third in the league.

With Hampton in the fold, it looks like this could be the first year since 2000 that the Highlanders haven't won a conference title.

But don't be so sure about that. Although the 'Landers face a whale of a non-conference schedule, look for the boys from Roan Mountain to be very competitive, especially in the skill positions.

Unaka returns its skill players and will score a lot of points in its non-conference schedule. The Rangers should make the playoffs and will be fighting to host another home playoff game.

Jellico, Cosby and Grace Christian will fight four the fourth playoff berth.

this is all i seen sun.!!

'Dogs hit right note in spring football

By Jamie Combs

SPORTS EDITOR

jcombs@starhq.com

Lackluster spring football drills are as commonplace for Hampton as grease stains on an auto mechanic's garage floor. This, however, wasn't an ordinary year.

"Overall, I was real pleased with our boys in the spring," said Bulldog coach J.C. Campbell. "We had a good spring."

Campbell could detect a spark in his Bulldog players right from the beginning of the two-week, month-of-May exercise.

"There was a little bounce in their step -- not like 'Gotta, gotta do this,' but 'I want to do this,'" Campbell said.

Besides being energetic, the senior class succeeded in setting a serious tone.

"I can't remember when I've seen as many interested seniors," Campbell said. "It looks like some senior leadership might be there. Several seniors showed leadership qualities -- not in their mouths but rather by hustling, the way they practiced and the way they went about their business."

Five seniors -- Johnny Price, Donny Davis, Martin Winters, Lucas Roark and Matt Largent -- showed there's potential for much success as far as the line play is concerned. Ditto for juniors Joe Lee George, D.J. Oliver and Michael Guy, and sophomores Steven Roop and Jarred Irick.

"All of the linemen in there have improved," Campbell said. "They all went about it good."

Down linemen Price, Davis, Winters and George were season-long starters in 2004, as was defensive end Roark.

Oliver was last season's other starting defensive end until a knee injury suffered in Week 7 kept him on the sidelines the rest of the way. Although not fully healed, he participated in spring workouts after missing the first few days, and wasn't a disappointment -- flourishing at both DE and linebacker.

"After he got started, he got along pretty well," Campbell said.

After making a nice freshman splash at defensive end -- as a reserve and a late-season starter (in place of Oliver) -- Irick demonstrated the kind of football prowess that should gain him full-time work at his regular position, linebacker or safety.

Roark, who is a non-lineman with the offense, and fellow senior Brandon Barnett fared well on both sides of the ball despite missing the first week of drills due to baseball obligations. The two athletes are returning regulars at the tight-end spots, and Barnett is a returnee in the secondary.

Savage fullback/linebacker Jon Potter (Sr.), the team's most outstanding player last season, earned high marks all the way around.

Jobs at quarterback and tailback need to be filled, and Avery County transfer Michael Lunsford (Soph.), son of new assistant coach and former Cloudland coach Mike Lunsford, emerged as the frontrunner to take over the QB chores.

"He can throw the ball, he can run that ball -- he learned the offense in no time," Campbell said of Michael.

Sophomore Dustin Milhorn, one of 2004's backup QBs, exhibited spring-time improvement.

As for the tailback position, senior Curtis McKeehan, junior Adam Townsend and sophomore Dustin Jaynes revealed they all have a chance at being the starter on Aug. 26, when the 'Dogs open their season (at Johnson County).

"There's not a great one there (at tailback), but they're all pretty capable," Campbell said. "They all showed promise."

Potter, with a stunning all-around display, was certainly the talk of Hampton's spring-ending scrimmage versus the Buffaloes of West Greene. His playing time, however, was limited.

"We were afraid he would hurt them," said Campbell, noting that Potter carried the ball just twice.

Michael Lunsford's passing, Roark's receiving, Barnett's pass defense, and good tackling by Winters from his linebacking position, where he started all of last season (he plays the line only on offense), were additional scrimmage highlights in a strong showing by the 'Dogs.

Lastly, Hampton had better than 30 players come out for spring ball. That's a very good May number for the program, and something defensive coordinator Danny McClain believes has a lot to do with the 'Dogs dropping to Class 1-A this year.

"I can tell a difference in those kids just the way they're talking, knowing that we're going to play teams we can play with," McClain said.

In 2004, the Class 2-A 'Dogs posted a 4-7 record that included a first-round playoff loss to top-ranked and eventual state champion Alcoa.

"A lot of boys came out this spring and looked like they might provide us a little depth," Campbell said.

Added assistant coach Tim Andrews: "We could be pretty good. We have the potential."

Oh and read this! if your all about the newspapper

Blah blah blah.  Newspaper articles don't mean jack.  Maybe Dawg should get a job there instead of playing football since he loves to type.  You keep posting brother.  You are only crippling yourself! <_<  :o

825690607[/snapback]

Dude storm u know i didnt type that

it's a little thing called copying and pasteing

takes about 30 seconds

how would i be crippleing myself tell me now!

since your so good at giving advice thumb

Players that wanna get better and be the best that they can be stay off these boards. The best players that I know didn't waste their time posting on coach T. Every now and then is fine, but you run your mouth way too much and people are gonna prepare extra hard for Hampton. No disrespect too you, but ask coach Campbell and he'll tell you the same thing. Do it on the field and let the fans run their mouth. thumb

Players that wanna get better and be the best that they can be stay off these boards.  The best players that I know didn't waste their time posting on coach T.  Every now and then is fine, but you run your mouth way too much and people are gonna prepare extra hard for Hampton.  No disrespect too you, but ask coach Campbell and he'll tell you the same thing.  Do it on the field and let the fans run their mouth.  thumb

825691269[/snapback]

Listen I understand what u are saying, But in my mind if teams are gonna prepare extra hard for us , Heck let them! Because I'm telling you right now there is NO ONE on my team on that Hampton Bulldogs roster that is scared of any team!

And another thing HOW the heck is being on "these boards" gonna cause me not to play my game and be my best at it...

Do you not think I trian Hard? I Run every freakin day and I'll tell u another thing I live about 1 minute away from the school gym, I lift as much and as many times as I can!

I get a Kick out of this program, Even if half of the people on here Dont know what the heck they are talking about or are has beens or never was's that are stuck in time back when they played high school ball.

And lastley If people don't like the thing's that I post's on here, Then they don't have to read them! I don't like being told what to do! I dont think any american does, and me being american gives me certian rights,

Which means I'll do what ever I dang well please!!!

And please Do NoT reply on this topic saying i trash talk i tell it the way it is and will be!

good luck to your landers storm

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!

Edited by BIG DAWG 71

You're a good kid, Dawg. I like to devil you and everyone else on here. :lol: Just be careful and don't post too much. I know from experience that it can get you in trouble. Oh yeah, and one day you will be a has-been who reflects back on your playing days. These are the best years of your life. Enjoy them, because 10 years from now, things will be a lot different. thumb