Thoughts on the State Tournament

TheGreatLineJudge

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I thought the way last year's state final was handled was a major injustice. We've talked about this a lot after last season ended. But it's worth noting again.

-Last year's state final was played on a half-court on the main floor of Murphy Center.

As a fan and an official, this was beyond words.

-In previous years, the state final (and final only) was expanded to the full open court of Murphy Center. It was great, because the girls were able make some truly awesome plays in saving balls that were lost on a standard-size court. In a state final, players deserve to get every last shot at saving a ball and playing to their fullest.

There are many arguments about the state tournament. Some dislike MTSU getting all the action. Some don't like driving across the state, though if West TN or East TN got the tourney, the opposite end would moan all the louder. Some are pleased with how things have been handled in recent years, myself included (except for last year).

Moan and groan, whine and complain, and maybe praise and sing about MTSU and the TSSAA (yeah right!)

What was the actual reason they did not swap to the big crt for finals?

Time?

Cost savings?

Wiring for the press area across the floor?

It's obviously not a big deal to take down two crts and put back up one, most every parent, player and coach in the building has pitched in to make that happen quickly, so there had to be more to it.

Thanks.

I thought the way last year's state final was handled was a major injustice. We've talked about this a lot after last season ended. But it's worth noting again.

-Last year's state final was played on a half-court on the main floor of Murphy Center.

As a fan and an official, this was beyond words.

-In previous years, the state final (and final only) was expanded to the full open court of Murphy Center. It was great, because the girls were able make some truly awesome plays in saving balls that were lost on a standard-size court. In a state final, players deserve to get every last shot at saving a ball and playing to their fullest.

There are many arguments about the state tournament. Some dislike MTSU getting all the action. Some don't like driving across the state, though if West TN or East TN got the tourney, the opposite end would moan all the louder. Some are pleased with how things have been handled in recent years, myself included (except for last year).

Moan and groan, whine and complain, and maybe praise and sing about MTSU and the TSSAA (yeah right!)

825687595[/snapback]

Judge, I was acutally going to start this thread myself but you beat me too it.

I hope and pray that this year is different. It was absolutly embarrasing how the state tournament was ran. I feel sorry for the final 4 teams that did not get to experience what it should really be like. I sat near 4 or 5 division 1 coaches and they indicated that it was the worst tournament they had EVER seen.

There is no reason why a championship game should start at 12:00 PM during the work week. I don't care what MTSU or TSSAA says. If they cannot host it properly then they should not host it.

"Well Volleyball isn't a revenue sport"--TSSAA

Well I wonder why, until it is taken seriously by TSSAA then it will always be a tournament in which they lose money...for god sake you taped lines down on one end of a basketball court!!

THey need to recognize people at their state tournament...HOF's, Official of the Year, Mental attitude recipients, ALL State...SOMETHING!!!!!! COACH OF THE YEAR maybe??? Not just the coaches that coached in the final game.

If you call yourself a lover of HS Volleyball then you should be embarassed. And until we expect more from TSSAA...it will never get better. If you ever have a chance to go to another states tournament...please do. Illinois, Indinana, Alabama...they do it right.

Allright I am done.

Well, as you may have already heard the TSSAA had a "secret" ballot yesterday and voted to put ALL TN HS championships at MTSU. This includes baseball, soccer and track (who's "spring fling" has been held in Memphis for the last 3 years).

I guess that's the end of that story.

Well, as you may have already heard the TSSAA had a "secret" ballot yesterday and voted to put ALL TN HS championships at MTSU. This includes baseball, soccer and track (who's "spring fling" has been held in Memphis for the last 3 years).

825688461[/snapback]

I am inclined to agree. I saw that on the news yesterday. I hope MTSU has sealed the deal because they're going to do the BEST job.

We'll see.

825688461[/snapback]

For the record, the Spring Fling has not been held in Memphis proper, but rather in MISSISSIPPI, just over the border. At least we're bringing the TSSAA tournaments back to Tennessee.

THey need to recognize people at their state tournament...HOF's, Official of the Year, Mental attitude recipients, ALL State...SOMETHING!!!!!!  COACH OF THE YEAR maybe???  Not just the coaches that coached in the final game.

825688127[/snapback]

So Judge and Clifford, I once again propose that Coach T host The Coach T Volleyball Awards Dinner one night at State. Announce it now.

-some serious awards, some fun awards, give awards for whoever deserves an award- not just the big dogs

-have people submit video clips all yr and make a great video presentation. Funniest play, hardest hit, most lost libero, worst carry not called, most bungled substitution ..whatever! Get a recruiting video company to sponsor/compile this part.

-have nominating process run all season ON THIS BOARD ONLY. Think of the increased traffic you will get if people know they can nominate "dig of the year" etc. after any match. Maybe you have a rule that for a nomination to be legit two persons have to post to have seen it.

The details will be easy to work out, but the concept is a winner and word will travel fast thru the vb communities, do it!

Also, the serious awards will be more accurate than what the press and tourney officials usually come up with. You guys know who really knows what's up and you can pick an awards committee that will be apolitical and knowledgable for the serious awards ..then just give as many fun and recognition awards as possible. Maybe have some "vote on" awards but the serious ones should be picked by the most knowledgable ...if you are ruthless in picking your committee and make no bones about it THEN your awards will have the most respect in the State. Most award selections lose all credibility once they start trying to make people happy and spread awards around (do that with the fun awards and recognition awards).

And, at the banquet it will be fun to guess at who's who on the board, surely you can have some fun with that too. I'll sponsor your awards in part or maybe sponsor them totally.

All in favor of The Coach T VolleyBall Awards Dinner say "Aye!" thumb

Post from the Judge:

"For the record, the Spring Fling has not been held in Memphis proper, but rather in MISSISSIPPI, just over the border. At least we're bringing the TSSAA tournaments back to Tennessee."

The only element of the TSSAA spring fing played in Mississippi was the softball tournament. Southaven is a suburb of Memphis just south of the border and is home to one of the most beautiful softball complexes in the South. USA Stadium in Millington played host to the baseball tourney, the courts at MUS/Hutchison in Memphis proper were home to tennis, Briarcrest in Eads, TN held the state track meet in their top-notch stadium, and soccer was played out at the Mike Rose complex in Collierville. I too hope MTSU does well in their attempts to host the next several state events. Memphis may have been inconvenient for many involved, but the venues for the Spring Fling were truly amazing.

Oh yeah, I'm in favor of the banquet. Anything involving food is good.

Post from the Judge:

"For the record, the Spring Fling has not been held in Memphis proper, but rather in MISSISSIPPI, just over the border. At least we're bringing the TSSAA tournaments back to Tennessee."

The only element of the TSSAA spring fing played in Mississippi was the softball tournament.  Southaven is a suburb of Memphis just south of the border and is home to one of the most beautiful softball complexes in the South.  USA Stadium in Millington played host to the baseball tourney, the courts at MUS/Hutchison in Memphis proper were home to tennis, Briarcrest in Eads, TN held the state track meet in their top-notch stadium, and soccer was played out at the Mike Rose complex in Collierville.  I too hope MTSU does well in their attempts to host the next several state events.  Memphis may have been inconvenient for  many involved, but the venues for the Spring Fling were truly amazing.

Oh yeah, I'm in favor of the banquet.  Anything involving food is good.

825690016[/snapback]

Ya know, I started thinking (after I posted) that I was wrong about everything being in Mississippi. I thought I'd read about stuff being held at different schools in the area, but to be honest, I haven't kept up with Spring Fling too much. Thank you, Memphis, for setting the record straight :ph34r:

Announcements