CHATTANOOGA AREA TOP 10 PITCHERS THIS YEAR

RoarSB1169

The recruiting process was fun at the very beginning, but toward the end it was very frustrating to listen to the coaches say one thing and do another. There is alot of dishonesty going on that wasnt much fun to be a part of.

I'm gonna try to catch up on alot of golf that I missed out on over the years this summer. After that, I may try to help out some in coaching somewhere, or maybe even do some umpiring since they are so pathetic around here...I think even i could do better than them.

My other daughter also elected to not pursue softball in college, although she is good enough to play at some smaller level. She got more money for academics than she would of gotten for softball, so its better this way. I'll just miss watching college softball especially...It was another higher level of play in the SEC which was fun to watch.

825694013[/snapback]

We could sure use some good ups in Chattanooga.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could sure use some good ups in Chattanooga.

825694018[/snapback]

I believe that most college atheletes are a lot happier playing than sitting on Tn. or Ga.'s bench for for years. Look at the number of freshmen and sophomores who have big signing parties and transfer a year or two later. How many sure fire 1st string softball players capable of starting at Tn., Ga., or Alabama are there in Chattanooga High Schools at the moment. I say one. There could be one more if those three and others like them put a premium on getting faster. I believe speed will be dominant in the future in college ball. Look at how many good pitchers there are in Chattanooga and compare the number to how many blazing fast players that we have in Chattanooga. I would say the odds are 5 to 1. If you say size and speed then 10 to 1. The pool of these girls that play softball if very small.

Name the kids over 5'8" in Chattanooga that have explosive speed. Most are playing basketball or running track.

Edited by Coachdadfan

I believe that most college atheletes are a lot happier playing than sitting on Tn. or Ga.'s bench for for years.  Look at the number of freshmen and sophomores who have big signing parties and transfer a year or two later. How many sure fire 1st string softball players capable of starting at Tn., Ga., or Alabama are there in Chattanooga High Schools at the moment. I say one.  There could be one more if those three and others like them put a premium on getting faster.  I believe speed will be dominant in the future in college ball. Look at how many good pitchers there are in Chattanooga and compare the number to how many blazing fast players that we have in Chattanooga. I would say the odds are 5 to 1. If you say size and speed then 10 to 1. The pool of these girls that play softball if very small.

Name the kids over 5'8" in Chattanooga that have explosive speed.  Most are playing basketball or running track.

825694033[/snapback]

I agree with you speed is becoming more and more important. I also think most players would be happpier playing than sitting. But, you must figure in the value of the education and what is important to that player. Some of these girls that are really good probably don't have the grades or test scores to go anywhere big anyway. Most full rides go to pitchers and catchers but I do see the really fast girls making more and more of an impact on teams and there performances. I really do not know of a girl in chattanooga that I can honestly say would start at Georgia or Tennessee as a freshman. Maybe one or two that might get an offer. But remember there is a difference in a full ride and an offer. i know of some girls that just get books and you hear they got a scholarship. Well, there is a big difference. I guess that is what started all this any way. A full ride offer regardless of where it is from is a very nice compliment to a player if she impresses a coach that much and to offer it this soon after only watching her one time. Good Luck to Brittany whatever she chooses!

I believe that most college atheletes are a lot happier playing than sitting on Tn. or Ga.'s bench for for years.  Look at the number of freshmen and sophomores who have big signing parties and transfer a year or two later. How many sure fire 1st string softball players capable of starting at Tn., Ga., or Alabama are there in Chattanooga High Schools at the moment. I say one.  There could be one more if those three and others like them put a premium on getting faster.  I believe speed will be dominant in the future in college ball. Look at how many good pitchers there are in Chattanooga and compare the number to how many blazing fast players that we have in Chattanooga. I would say the odds are 5 to 1. If you say size and speed then 10 to 1. The pool of these girls that play softball if very small.

Name the kids over 5'8" in Chattanooga that have explosive speed.  Most are playing basketball or running track.

825694033[/snapback]

I know from first hand experience that if a girl sits on the bench for one year at Georgia, she will be gone the next year and replaced by a new recruiting class. Arizona started the idea of having speed in softball, and other teams are just now seeing how valuable it has been, not just in scoring runs, but in improving the overall defense also. The Nashville area has very few speedy people also. If you watch some of the national ASA tourneys, you will see that most of the powerhouses all have 3 key ingredients.....great pitching, team speed, and great defense.

Although it is very flattering to get an offer to play at a big school like the SEC, most girls would be better off going to a smaller school unless they are guaranteed to be a starter. With scholarship limitations the way they are, there is not much redshirting done  unless there is an injury. Those that dont play much run the risk of not having their scholarships re-newed. Just look at Tennessee...they have 17 girls on their team now, with no seniors....they have signed 5 girls for next years class, which will bring the total to 22 girls. With the limit of girls who can travel with the team being 18, guess what will probably happen to 4 of those girls?

825694003[/snapback]

Actually I heard that UT is bringing in 9 new signees. EzellSoftball04 is that number correct?

I totally agree with everything you are saying. Most of the recruiting is done from the summer teams anyway and there is no award or honor going to say as much as a coach watching you perform.  As for Rice I think that is a good thing because her school team is not as successful as some ot the others. I also heard that Ooltewah's second baseman Casey Saunders has had some attention this summer and will get offers and I think maybe already has had 2. She is another really good player that does not get the attention she deserves. She really hit the ball well for Ooltewah this year and has continued on with her summer team. What does it matter where the offer is from? There are some girls that would love to go on and play at the next level that are probably good enough but for whatever reason don't get the opportunity. The Michigan, UCLA thing was in response to Wilson 25 being cute and saying the offer for Britt  was from Michigan because Rhonda did not tell me where the offer came from. She just said it was a really exciting thing for Britt to open the email and the offer to be there. I am sure it would be for any girl. I think you need to weigh in the factor too how important is playing time. If you go to a "big" school you better be ready to sit a while as a freshman. And, it's all about the education anyway. I just think it is great the opportunities that are out there for the girls that play fastpitch to be able to go and get that education because of ball! I will find out where it came from and if it is that big of a deal and anyone wants to know just say so and I will find out and post it later. I am sure thay will tell me it was just presented as Hey, she got her first full ride offer and it was just an exciting time for that family. Too bad some people can't just be happy for them. I know Herb Rice thinks it is a wonderful thing when a girl gets a softball scholarship. He does not care who they are or where the offer is from he loves to hear about it and so do I!!! By the way my daughter did not go on to play college ball and she wishes she had.

825693844[/snapback]

i said earlier in the year that the saunders kid from ooltewah was the sleeper in the city. she has a great glove and hit the ball well on some of these girls like waters and the east ridge kids like it was nothing.wait and see there will be alot of coaches miss the opportunity to get a quality kid to play on the team and pass for some best of preps kid that does not have half the tallent the saunders kid has.i think she plays for rices summer team so that in its self tells me all i need to no.

i said earlier in the year that the saunders kid from ooltewah was the sleeper in the city. she has a great glove and hit the ball well on some of these girls like waters and the east ridge kids like it was nothing.wait and see there will be alot of coaches miss the opportunity to get a quality kid to play on the team and pass for some best of preps kid that does not have half the tallent the saunders kid has.i think she plays for rices summer team so that in its self tells me all i need to no.

825694097[/snapback]

What team does the Rice girl play for in the summer......