Does anyone else besides me think that priority #1 for Jocketty and the front office before July 31 should be to get a younger outfielder who can take some of the load off Walker, Sanders, and Edmonds this year and then take over either right or left fireld next year? I love those three, but they ain't spring chickens anymore, and where a major strength has been previously, I see a major exclamation point for trouble this season.

I know it should improve a little once we get Rolen back in the lineup and Mabry can assume duties of filling in giving guys a night off, but I'd still like to have an everyday guy out there to help.

All runs of being a potential contender eventually come to an end, and I don't want to waste the golden opportunity we have this season!

Thoughts?

I think all of them still have it. Larry Walker has lost it in the bat more than the field, and Sanders has been pretty consistent. Edmonds, IMO, is still a potential gold glover. Not to mention, he seems to come through in clutch situation (ex. 2004 NLCS game 6). Rolen will help when he is healthy, but Nunez, Taguchi, and Seabol have been filling in for Rolen, lately. Taguchi is our normal outfield relief, as well as Mabry, but as far as getting a younger outfielder, I agree. Larry Walker has to go. He is slumping bad, and he isn't getting any younger. I love him to death, and I have to give him props for an incredible career, but he will be our weakest link come playoff time. I am hoping Taguchi can step it up, which he is fully capable of doing. This will be Walker's last year, weather he retires or not. He can't start for us next year. Like I said earlier, Sanders has been pretty consitent, but look at how many MLB teams he has played for. He may decide to go next year. Wish we could have gotten Sosa, but the Cubs would have done anything in their power to make sure that didn't happen.

I think all of them still have it.  Larry Walker has lost it in the bat more than the field, and Sanders has been pretty consistent.  Edmonds, IMO, is still a potential gold glover.  Not to mention, he seems to come through in clutch situation (ex. 2004 NLCS game 6).  Rolen will help when he is healthy, but Nunez, Taguchi, and Seabol have been filling in for Rolen, lately.  Taguchi is our normal outfield relief, as well as Mabry, but as far as getting a younger outfielder, I agree.  Larry Walker has to go.  He is slumping bad, and he isn't getting any younger.  I love him to death, and I have to give him props for an incredible career, but he will be our weakest link come playoff time.  I am hoping Taguchi can step it up, which he is fully capable of doing.  This will be Walker's last year, weather he retires or not.  He can't start for us next year.  Like I said earlier, Sanders has been pretty consitent, but look at how many MLB teams he has played for.  He may decide to go next year.  Wish we could have gotten Sosa, but the Cubs would have done anything in their power to make sure that didn't happen.

825691617[/snapback]

Why in the world would you want Sosa,he is ready for his retirement check,he like Walker has seen his better days.

Does anyone else besides me think that priority #1 for Jocketty and the front office before July 31 should be to get a younger outfielder who can take some of the load off Walker, Sanders, and Edmonds this year and then take over either right or left fireld next year?  I love those three, but they ain't spring chickens anymore, and where a major strength has been previously, I see a major exclamation point for trouble this season.

I know it should improve a little once we get Rolen back in the lineup and Mabry can assume duties of filling in giving guys a night off, but I'd still like to have an everyday guy out there to help.

825691285[/snapback]

Two problems. 1) To get a younger everyday-caliber OF, you're gonna have to pay a lot. Do you want to give up Wainwright and Reyes? It might take both to get the type of player you're talking about.

2) What do you do with this player when Sanders, Edmonds, and Walker are in the lineup?

As for the Sosa suggestion from Fuggly...bleh, I don't want that idiot associated with the Cardinals organization.

Two problems.  1) To get a younger everyday-caliber OF, you're gonna have to pay a lot.  Do you want to give up Wainwright and Reyes?  It might take both to get the type of player you're talking about.

2) What do you do with this player when Sanders, Edmonds, and Walker are in the lineup?

As for the Sosa suggestion from Fuggly...bleh, I don't want that idiot associated with the Cardinals organization.

825691946[/snapback]

Valid point reqarding Wainwright and Reyes. I usually don't want to screw the future over the present, but this team is built to win NOW and is not getting any younger. We've had a nice run since 2000, but it's not going to last forever, and I want to make sure we get a title out of it. I just don't want this team to be like Seattle or the Titans and then just one day everyone realize how old they are and they fall off the table.

With a mobile 4th outfielder, then you can give the other three guys days off. Walker has a good day or so every now and then, but is looking a lot like Mac did at the end, and in my opinion could serve as a much more important pinch hitter (or DH) in October than an everyday guy in the field. Plus, having the 4th outfielder would allow those guys days off to where they could be fresh in October.

Sanders just strikes out too much. That's my only gripe with him. Physically he's probably in the best shape on the team and could play 5 more years.

It's just my opinion. And this all may be for nothing when we get Rolen and Edmonds back in the lineup and everyone can go back to their usual roles in the field, lineup, and on the bench.