Fulton picks up Gatewood's younger brothers

znagglepuz

Rommel Hightower was the running back that broke 100 yards on fulton last year... :blink:

825699755[/snapback]

You're talking about LowTower from LC? Well, that was his best game of his career. You notice after that game against Fulton he didn't do much the rest of the season.

Now Project Grad Schools- There's nothing wrong with being a PG school.. PG is just giving the youth a chance to go to college. Many of these students in PG schools will be the first of their families to go to College and GRADUATE from College. I just wish they had this program when i was in school. It's a great program and if you had any children you would be wise to transfere them into a school like AE or Fulton just to get the PG scholarship...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking about LowTower from LC? Well, that was his best game of his career.  You notice after that game against Fulton he didn't do much the rest of the season. 

Now Project Grad Schools-  There's nothing wrong with being a PG school.. PG is just giving the youth a chance to go to college.  Many of these students in PG schools will be the first of their families to go to College and GRADUATE from College.  I just wish they had this program when i was in school.  It's a great program and if you had any children you would be wise to transfere them into  a school like AE or Fulton just to get the PG scholarship...

825699787[/snapback]

:blink: Hmmmm, sounds like an unfair advantage. Maybe?

After reading some of the posts on this thread concerning Fulton's scholastic status, it brought to mind a letter (written in reponse to an earlier article) that appeared in the Halls Shopper Newspaper a few weeks ago. Principal Hatcher's comments are right on target!!

Fulton principal touts her school

I was pleased to read the article in the Shopper featuring the Fourth and Gill neighborhood and the Young/Talman family. It is an absolutely wonderful and beautiful neighborhood with wonderful people.

However, when Young made the comment about the schools in the zone, she stated that there were “challenges.” I agree.

You see, I am the principal at Fulton High School, as well as a graduate and teacher at Fulton, and have been an educator for 26 years.

All schools have “challenges” in this county. I bet even the private school that your children attend has its “challenges.”

Austin-East, Fulton, Beaumont and Christenberry (the four schools mentioned in the article that have “challenges”) are all wonderful schools that are striving on a daily basis to achieve.

I invite Nancy Young, and anyone else, to visit Fulton High School and discover the wonderful achievements of the school, its magnificent faculty and most importantly, its wonderful students!

Yes, we have our “challenges,” but we have great and wonderful things happening at Fulton High School. Come and check us out!!

– Kitty Hatcher

Principal, Fulton High School

:lol: Hmmmm, sounds like an unfair advantage.  Maybe?

825699810[/snapback]

I can see where you might try to imply something here, but when it comes to athletes that are at these schools on a "project grad" transfer - it just don't add up. As a matter of fact - I couldn't name you a single athlete that is. I'm not saying there's not any - I just don't know who they are & if they were a significant factor to one of the teams, well, you KNOW I would've heard something about them.

Good point msmoker. Of course, everyone is proud of the schools they support & should be. Ask the Mayor of Knoxville what he thinks of Fulton. Not only is Fulton a great school, but the community is wonderful. When I was sick, the community put on a benefit basketball game for me & my family. The mayor took part in the event. He had a speaking engagement the next morning & he couldn't say enough about the community around Fulton. He talked about how when people talk about moving to this area how many will tell them to look in the Powell area or the Halls area, but he talked about how he had never seen a community pull together for a person the way the Fulton community had. He was overwhelmed at the turnout & support. He said that was the true meaning of community. Now before ya'll try to say something, I'm not knocking Powell, Halls, Fountain City, or anything - I'm just saying I love being a part of the Fulton community. Every school has their "struggles" & "challenges", but every schools has good points, too - including schools like Fulton & AE.

Well said MsMoker and KWalker. I apologize for making it seem like Fulton was a bad school. My sister and cousins went to Fulton and I know they learned a lot while they were there. Fulton is a good school just as well as AE. Yes, Fulton and AE compete on the playing fields but they also learn the same way as the Farraguts and Powells. Like many of you've said, it's just a bigger challenge getting these students to strive for the best. That's why they're apart of the PG system and that's just to give these students something to look forward to and that's COLLEGE!!!

Oh by the way, Mrs. Hatcher was one of my teachers back in the day :lol: . She's a GREAT encourager and her students will suceed at whatever they put their minds too.

Edited by AERoadrunners

I will reiterate my earlier post. Fulton has had some successful students pass through its halls, but these boys DID NOT come to Fulton for the educational purposes!!

According to K.Walker-income represents how well students succeed in school.

At Farragut, Powell, Bearden they have their problems with alcohol, drugs, and violence just as most schools.

I think the NUMBER ONE PROBLEM WITH SCHOOLS, IS PARENTS OF THE STUDENTS!!

On this note, let me tell you how I once participated in a Project Grad Walk-this is where you get up early on a Saturday morning and walk through the neighborhood of Fulton & A.E. students. This is all volunteer work and your purpose is to explain to these students' parents how their students are eligible for a scholarship to college- Of the homes I visited, the parents could CARE LESS!

Some wouldn't even come to the door & others flat out refused to listen!!!!!!!

I guess these parents really care about their child's future! And how are these children suppossed to act??? I know when I was a student, I wanted to make my parents proud.

I will reiterate my earlier post.  Fulton has had some successful students pass through its halls, but these boys DID NOT come to Fulton for the educational purposes!! 

According to K.Walker-income represents how well students succeed in school.

At Farragut, Powell, Bearden they have their problems with alcohol, drugs, and violence just as most schools.

I think the NUMBER ONE PROBLEM WITH SCHOOLS, IS PARENTS OF THE STUDENTS!!

On this note, let me tell you how I once participated in a Project Grad Walk-this is where you get up early on a Saturday morning and walk through the neighborhood of Fulton & A.E. students.  This is all volunteer work and your purpose is to explain to these students' parents how their students are eligible for a scholarship to college- Of the homes I visited, the parents could CARE LESS!

Some wouldn't even come to the door & others flat out refused to listen!!!!!!!

I guess these parents really care about their child's future!  And how are these children suppossed to act??? I know when I was a student, I wanted to make my parents proud.

825700146[/snapback]

It seems to me that you have a problem with Fulton and AE. I think you're a little jealous that they're a PG School and the school you worship isn't... I've walked in all of the PG walks and I can honestly say, all of the parents were interested in their childs success. What year did you walk? I know the first year Knox County had the walk, it was to early and like you said a lot of people didn't come to the door. But since you're hating on such a wonderful program why don't you tell everyone that the walk is just for students in grades- K,1st, 6th, and 9th. Trust me when i say this, PG is a success so don't hate on it..

znaggle - don't put words in my mouth! I'm going to agree with Roadrunner on this. . . .when did you walk? I know a lot of people don't know exactly what PG is all about. Most of the families at these schools could "care less" as you say because when they hear the word "college" they know they can't afford to send their kids. Not all, but a lot. I think PG is a great program. Do you know what a commitment it is for these kids? I have a niece who goes to Fulton & is participating in the program in order to get a scholarship when she graduates. There's a lot to it. Knox County students barely get a summer break as it is now, but the kids participating in project grad get even less! They spend several weeks of their summer at either Pellissippi State or UT taking project grad classes in order to be eligible for the scholarship when they graduate.

It seems to me that you have a problem with Fulton and AE.  I think you're a little jealous that they're a PG School and the school you worship isn't...  I've walked in all of the PG walks and I can honestly say, all of the parents were interested in their childs success.  What year did you walk?  I know the first year Knox County had the walk, it was to early and like you said a lot of people didn't come to the door.  But since you're hating on such a wonderful program why don't you tell everyone that the walk is just for students in grades- K,1st, 6th, and 9th.  Trust me when i say this, PG is a success so don't hate on it..

825700267[/snapback]

First, I feel sorry for Fulton and A.E.!

Second, I'm proud that the school I worship IS NOT a project Grad school!!

The first year you say was too early???? Too early for me to get out of bed and volunteer my time to try and support a community where the parents are still IN BED?? GET REAL!!!!!!

I guess next it will be my job to come and pick them up??

Project Grad is good for those students who use it, but the program itself is a bunch of horse crap! It is downgrading to good teachers!!!!!

Finally, IT'S ALL GOOD!!!! PEACE OUT!!

That's great for them. I'm glad. But, notice the income level from those schools.

825699621[/snapback]

k,wALKER,k walker, k walker----

This is your post (notice the income level from these schools)-Correct?????

All these kids have to do is maintain a B average throughout high school!!!!!

If they are going to summer school, it's because they are not passing the regular school classes!!

Don't get me started!!!!!!

By the way, on another point isn't this discriminating?????

Why should these kids get an opportunity(which many are not taking advantage of)

when they're kids at other Knoxville schools who are not?????

Do West, Gibbs, South-Doyle, Carter, Halls, Powell, Bearden, Farragut, Karns, & Central get this opportunity????? I don't think so!! Are there low income parents in these communities??? I do think so!!!!!