Fulton picks up Gatewood's younger brothers

znagglepuz

I find it very offending when people or parents say they can't afford to send their kids to college. I had thousands of dollars in financial aid. I did receive $200 a year in grant money. Anyone like myself can go to college. I just recently paid my loan off. I did not have to pay a dime until 6 months after I finished or got out. Now if you quit school you have 6 months to start paying it back. Just like every other loan you make monthly payments. The thing about it is that is just like filling out paperwork for foodstamps and every other government program. There is money for everyone to go to college. Like mine it is not always free. It was a great choice to get a student loan, and everyone can get one. You just have to pay it back.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The summer school I'm referring to is not to keep a "B" average in school. They get NO credit for these classes at the highschool level or college level. These are enrichment type classes that after their freshman year they take at Pellissippi for several weeks & after their sophomore year they take classes at UT & then have to stay on campus for a week. It is part of the project grad program requirements.

What self-consumed people like snagglepuz don’t realize is that programs like Project Grad should not be perceived as a negative stigma for those schools that participate, but rather, should be evaluated according to all of the positives that it brings to the children that participate and to the community. I relate it to the old saying, “If you have an itch, scratch it.” If your city recognizes a community that has a lower than average percentage of high school graduates that go on the attend college, then why not implement a program to encourage these students in that area to pursue college and to realize a dream. Project Grad is just another method of trying to reach children that have never thought that college was a possibility for them, or that don’t have higher education advocated in the home.

Also, one must consider the fact that most of the kids in these communities that participate in these programs will be the first from their families to graduate, attend college or to even consider the fact. These programs also help these children to boost their self esteem, something that is lacking in our less advantaged communities. The programs also show the children how to be good leaders and give them a mindset that focuses on success rather than failures.

To me, it is agonizing when people try to bash a positive program that benefit our children, so that they can exercise their personal and political ideologies. But don’t worry, Project Grad will continue to do just fine without their support!

What self-consumed people like snagglepuz don’t realize is that programs like Project Grad should not be perceived as a negative stigma for those schools that participate, but rather, should be evaluated according to all of the positives that it brings to the children that participate and to the community.  I relate it to the old saying, “If you have an itch, scratch it.”  If your city recognizes a community that has a lower than average percentage of high school graduates that go on the attend college, then why not implement a program to encourage these students in that area to pursue college and to realize a dream.  Project Grad is just another method of trying to reach children that have never thought that college was a possibility for them, or that don’t have higher education advocated in the home. 

Also, one must consider the fact that most of the kids in these communities that participate in these programs will be the first from their families to graduate, attend college or to even consider the fact.  These programs also help these children to boost their self esteem, something that is lacking in our less advantaged communities.  The programs also show the children how to be good leaders and give them a mindset that focuses on success rather than failures.

To me, it is agonizing when people try to bash a positive program that benefit our children, so that they can exercise their personal and political ideologies.  But don’t worry, Project Grad will continue to do just fine without their support!

825700650[/snapback]

Principal Hatcher,

Have your heard the old saying get bitten by a dog once-shame on it, get bitten by a dog twice-shame on you!

First of all-I am not self-consumed! If you had read my earlier post, I clearly stated that I have participated as a volunteer in project grad! More than most people would contribute-I guarantee!! Most parents could care less!

Secondly, I have graduated from 4 colleges, and one of my parents has a high school diploma and the other went to 5th grade!!!!!!!-Fact!

If anyone truly wanted to go to college-they can go. I funded every bit of my college through student loans, and I am currently paying for them.

If your staff was given a blind survey of PG, I would be willing to bet that 75 % would say that it hinders their teaching!

I hope it is helping some students! Do I believe it's all it's worked up to be? No!

How much is the county paying for this program? Heck you and I could come up with a program and sell it around the country and brag how effective it is! I guarantee the headquarters for pg are making a killing.

One more bet, In 10 years do you think this program will still exist??

For the students sake- I hope so!

Finally, is it fair to students at other schools. Do all the families in other communities advocate higher education to their children? I guarantee you there are students at West, South-Doyle, Karns, Carter, Gibbs, ETC. that would love to have this opportunity!

P.s. This discussion began on whether two students had chosen Fulton on their athletics or their academics. I'm not here to bash any programs or schools!

Edited by znagglepuz

Znagglepuz:

If you asked my staff to reply on Project Grad, they would either tell you that they didnt know anything about it or that they had never heard if it (they live in the Farragut/Lenior city area). I am in fact not working with the schools or a teacher at all, but I know a good thing when I see it. Sure, you cant make some parents get involved, even if you "beat down their door." But that can be the case with many upper-middle and affluent communities. I too wish that other communities were able to implement the program...maybe they will in the future. The bottom line is the fact that if there are negatives, they are far and away outweighed by the positives.

I was only quoting an article written by Principal Hatcher. I am a Fulton and UT grad, and will shortly have a Master's degree. Like you, I have paid for my continued education with loans that I am still paying to this day...but I dont hold that against the kids involved in the program (that is where self-consumed comes into play). Does your frustration really stem from the fact that you are an ex-Central coach and you have an ax to grind with Fulton and anything the school is associated with?

OK znaggle. I can agree with some of your points on the program. I agree that a lot of parents don't care (sad to say) about sending their kids to college or hearing about opportunities to do so. So I'm not going to argue about it anymore. I think you started the thread about Gatewood's brothers, so let's get back to that.