William Blount

youthfootballfan0123

I went to WB for four years and I am currently involved with an organization that gives me the privilege to interact with the students from William Blount on a weekly basis. Many of these people that I have the honor to be around and hang out with are African-American, and I can assure you that African-Americans are not treated any differently than White students by the faculty or the administration. But, as far as the students go at WB - teenagers are going to be teenagers. I caught a lot of slack and was called names in high school for the things I did and the way I looked. Everyone that walks the halls of a public school will catch some kind of scrutiny. I sometimes fell as if William Blount has gotten a bad name because of the allegations that were made last school year. I, after talking to many students, faculty, and the administration, think that the media might have blown the story far beyond the truth of what actually happened. I love William Blount High School, and it saddens me that so many people think of it as a "bad school" just because of the actions of a few stupid kids.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point is well taken and received Blountfan. I wasn't lumping everyone in the same pile...just speaking of the county in general and Lord knows I know the number of knuckle headed African American kids who reside in BC. It's 2005 and race relations should be better everywhere and for the most part there is vast improvement. Yes the media likes to focus on the bad things and usually blow that out of perspective. Fact is there was(is) an issue at WB like there was a few years ago at Heritage and including the flag and mascot issue at Maryville I''ll also throw in the fact of how Alcoa uses alot of there Black players for their talent of the field yet fails to develop their talent in the classroom (subject for another thread)

I think they will make it to the second round of the play offs.

825717839[/snapback]

Wow that's a pretty stout prediction. Yeah they are likely to improve, but it is going to be very difficult to break into the top four this year. Oak Ridge, Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, and Farragut, barring any surprises are almost sure to be in the playoffs this year.

Maybe next year will be the opportunity for a program trying to bring it back up. Soddy should falter after this year; from what I've heard from their sidelines is that the well runs dry for coach Weathers after this year. We'll see. But I still think it will be awful tough for anyone else to break beyond those four teams.

Wow that's a pretty stout prediction.  Yeah they are likely to improve, but it is going to be very difficult to break into the top four this year.  Oak Ridge, Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, and Farragut, barring any surprises are almost sure to be in the playoffs this year.

Maybe next year will be the opportunity for a program trying to bring it back up.  Soddy should falter after this year; from what I've heard from their sidelines is that the well runs dry for coach Weathers after this year.  We'll see.  But I still think it will be awful tough for anyone else to break beyond those four teams.

825718848[/snapback]

Bballisbest,

Just a homer who always thinks his Govs are going to be good ... but of the four "almost sure playoff" picks you list ... I would favor Blount against two (Farragut and Ooltewah) ... pick 'em even against one (OR) ... and make them the underdog against one (Soddy).

The neat thing is ... we'll get to find out, won't we :D I thought we were playoff contenders last year too and you see where that got me!!!

Are you a student/fan of one of the schools you mentioned?

Hey boyz!

I didn't mean to start a firestorm on race relations, I have heard a great deal of information on the William Blount fiasco.

Also, the Rebel Flag issue is further dividing our great county.

You know I am a girl all about love, I think we all need to just get along. I just hope the allegations that have been made are not true. I'd like to think that they are not, but there certainly are a lot of them.

Our students and student athletes need to be supported by all adults. Harmony on the grid-iron and good sportsmanship are much more important than w's and l's. Life is too short to get so worked up over all this mess.

Officials today are too gracious. If a student athlete uses profanity, sit them down! If a coach is unruly throw the flag. Decorum in society is falling by the wayside.

Sorry I got on my soap box but we all need to foster relationships, not file lawsuits. Are the lawsuits going to help the kids involved or are they going to create more resentment?

I will be more football oriented on my next post I assure you!

As always, I do...

Love you boyz!

:D

Hey boyz!

I didn't mean to start a firestorm on race relations, I have heard a great deal of information on the William Blount fiasco.

You know I am a girl all about love, I think we all need to just get along.  I just hope the allegations that have been made are not true.  I'd like to think that they are not, but there certainly are a lot of them.

Our students and student athletes need to be supported by all adults.  Harmony on the grid-iron and good sportsmanship are much more important than w's and l's.  Life is too short to get so worked up over all this mess.

Officials today are too gracious.  If a student athlete uses profanity, sit them down!  If a coach is unruly throw the flag.  Decorum in society is falling by the wayside.

Sorry I got on my soap box but we all need to foster relationships, not file lawsuits.  Are the lawsuits going to help the kids involved or are they going to create more resentment?

As always, I do...

Love you boyz!

825718970[/snapback]

thumb Great Post........I pray that all wounds will be mended. I'm looking for the day when BC teams win the state in their class divisions in the same year.

Hey boyz!

You know I am a girl all about love, I think we all need to just get along.  I just hope the allegations that have been made are not true.  I'd like to think that they are not, but there certainly are a lot of them.

Our students and student athletes need to be supported by all adults.  Harmony on the grid-iron and good sportsmanship are much more important than w's and l's.  Life is too short to get so worked up over all this mess.

Officials today are too gracious.  If a student athlete uses profanity, sit them down!  If a coach is unruly throw the flag.  Decorum in society is falling by the wayside.

Sorry I got on my soap box but we all need to foster relationships, not file lawsuits.  Are the lawsuits going to help the kids involved or are they going to create more resentment?

As always, I do...

Love you boyz!

825718970[/snapback]

"What the World Needs Now, Is Love Sweet Suz's Love"........

"What the World Needs Now, Is Love Sweet Suz's Love"........

825719019[/snapback]

Why do stars fall down from the sky? Everytime Suzeee walks by?

Just like me, they long to be ... close to her.

Not every one at WB is a racist. Not every kid is a delinquent. I happen to know one student in particular. She is an incredible Christian. She accepts people based on their character, not their skin color. She has already scored a 30 on her ACT (far above average of BC, Alcoa, & Maryville ... and that's a standardized test). She's ranked #1 in her class right now. She's already been contacted by the likes of MIT, Vanderbilt, Duke, to name a few. She's one of many ... I'm a little sensitive, but I'm tired of everyone at WB being labeled based on the actions of a few kids.

Nothing to do with the thread, just today's sermonette. I'm out.

Hey boyz!

Gov Man I think I know the young man you are speaking of, or could it be a young woman named Stinnett?

I am not sure about her first name, but she is a sophomore or junior and quite a good kid.

I am sure the majority are good kids. It is amazing how much attention the bad kids can muster up.

Govs get a big win tonight, I will see you there!

HHS in somewhat of an upset!

Tornadoes in an upset!

And lastly my Red and Black will roll!

Love you boyz!

:)