What's the news with DeKalb? No coach?

JigsawXi

As I have read, this seems like an awkard year for the "DeKalb County Tigers" football team. Early in the year there head coach, Wayne Cantrell, was in trouble for "threaten" a student. After a long grueling wait of court and all that, he retired from teaching and football. And Anthony Fuller took over the head coach position. He boost the team confidence up and made them play harder, obviously a better job then the previous coach. But Fuller have met an obstacle in his career, the "DeKalb County Board of Education." They supposedly promise Fuller an extra $2,000 salary for his extended contract. As quoted, "Fuller, critical of both McCormick and Supervisor of Instruction Carol Hendrix, insists that he was pledged a certain amount of money to get him to come to DeKalb County. " Extended contract may have been the words that were used but it was never explained that it could be a year to year thing. It never was explained that it's dependant upon money coming from the state. To make my salary a certain amount, I was told I would have the $2,000. That was the way it was explained. I don't care what name you put on it, I was promised $2,000 to supplement my salary. To come here, I accepted a salary of $41,700. I agreed to that, but that's not what I'm getting this year." He has already accepted and signed a contract with Cumberland Co. as an assistant coach. As of now, he is under contract with two schools. The assistant coach is not getting paid as well. Victor Harrison is also the head girl's basketball coach. He too has accepted and signed a contract with Cumberland. Looks like DeKalb is need of a coach. There's been a lot of drama on this issue. Is Fuller being done wrong? Or is he acting childish over an issue? Or is the school board breaking promises?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have read, this seems like an awkard year for the "DeKalb County Tigers" football team.  Early in the year there head coach, Wayne Cantrell, was in trouble for "threaten" a student.  After a long  grueling wait of court and all that, he retired from teaching and football.  And Anthony Fuller took over the head coach position.  He boost the team confidence up and made them play harder, obviously a better job then the previous coach.  But Fuller have met an obstacle in his career, the "DeKalb County Board of Education."  They supposedly promise Fuller an extra $2,000 salary for his extended contract.  As quoted, "Fuller, critical of both McCormick and Supervisor of Instruction Carol Hendrix, insists that he was pledged a certain amount of money to get him to come to DeKalb County. " Extended contract may have been the words that were used but it was never explained that it could be a year to year thing. It never was explained that it's dependant upon money coming from the state. To make my salary a certain amount, I was told I would have the $2,000. That was the way it was explained. I don't care what name you put on it, I was promised $2,000 to supplement my salary. To come here, I accepted a salary of $41,700. I agreed to that, but that's not what I'm getting this year."  He has already accepted and signed a contract with Cumberland Co. as an assistant coach.  As of now, he is under contract with two schools.  The assistant coach is not getting paid as well.  Victor Harrison is also the head girl's basketball coach. He too has accepted and signed a contract with Cumberland.  Looks like DeKalb is need of a coach.  There's been a lot of drama on this issue.  Is Fuller being done wrong?  Or is he acting childish over an issue?  Or is the school board breaking promises?

825704033[/snapback]

If they promised the money...they should give it to him. This should get interesting before it's settled.

I caught wind of this 3 weeks ago...the anticipation has been more than I could bear...Let the thread begin!

$2000....If the school board promised it then....but wait! It has been my understanding, from a Smithville source (not ceaser!), that some other issues may have played a part....

I want to hear some word on that.

Edited by beethoven

I caught wind of this 3 weeks ago...the anticipation has been more than I could bear...Let the thread begin!

$2000....If the school board promised it then....but wait! It has been my understanding, from a Smithville source (not ceaser!), that some spending issues and poor budgeting may have played a part....

I want to hear some word on that.

825704074[/snapback]

They promised him the money. He has called their hand on it. Is a good football coach more important than $2000 they promised him? I don't think that amount of money would break the budget.

"Anthony Fuller's days as DeKalb County High School's Football Coach are over.

In a letter to "Whom it may concern", Fuller wrote " This letter is to inform in writing that I resign by teaching position and coaching position with the DeKalb County school system effective immediately. I ask to be released from my contract for the 2005-2006 school year."

"Fuller's resignation comes Friday morning following a special meeting of the Board of Education on Thursday night."

So it is official. This is what the meeting was all about last night:

"the board was in no mood to discuss it Thursday night after learning that Fuller had signed an employment contract this week with the Cumberland County School System.

After calling the meeting to order and laying out the ground rules on how it would be conducted, Board Chairman Charles Robinson asked Coach Fuller to step to the podium.

Robinson asked Fuller "Are you under contract with the Cumberland County Schools?"

Fuller responded "No" and then added that "I've been accepted up there if I tell them I'm coming."

Board member Keith Garrett then asked, "You've signed a contract with them"?

Fuller answered "I signed a contract".

Garrett said "That's what I thought".

Fuller continued saying" I'm under contract here."

Garrett then made a motion to adjourn the meeting saying " Mr. Chairman, I don't believe we can do anything then. If he's already signed a contract with Cumberland County, I don't see any need for us to meet. So I make a motion to adjourn."

Fuller and Harrison were approved for employment by the Cumberland County Board of Education on July 5th, subject to their signing employment contracts. McCormick received Harrison's resignation letter Monday

Fuller told the board that by signing the contract with Cumberland County, he was protecting his own interest in the event that he could not settle his differences with the school system here. He also indicated that there was nothing unusual about a teacher, considering resigning, having a job lined up somewhere else in advance.

"McCormick, when asked by a parent whether Fuller would be allowed to keep his job here, suggested there might be a legal problem with him being under contract with two school systems at the same time, and that his professional license might be in jeopardy because of it. McCormick said he would have to consult with the School Board's Attorney, Sue Puckett Jernigan"

I honestly believe DeKalb made a big mistake. As quoted from a source, "In his last head coaching gig, Anthony Fuller took a team that had won only five games the previous five seasons and put together a 7-4 season with a trip to the playoffs in his first year. It's likely that experience helped him get the job as DeKalb County High head coach, where he will be charged with a very similar situation."

"At MHS, Fuller took over a squad that had gone 3-7 the previous season and had fashioned a 11-28 record since its last winning season. But MHS went 7-3 in the regular season before losing to Friendship Christian in the playoffs, then went 8-2 in 1999 before losing to Donelson Christian Academy in the playoffs."

We got admit, their football team isn't as strong as the others. But the loss of the head and assistant coach is going to hurt them. Plus the high school is lacking two teachers. With school starting in two weeks, I don't think it be easy for them to find replacements.

Dirty politics and money always go hand in hand in Smithville or should I say crapville (I couldn't say the other word)! It is enough to drive me crazy and I would pull out the rest of my hair but there ain't much of it left!

I tried to call ELA to get him back here but he has accepted a job somewhere out of state. I guess we will have to settle for whoever applies! Maybe we can beat poor Smith County and the freshman head coach but I doubt it!

We need someone with a lot of coaching experience who has had success in his career and the only man in town who fits that description is retired and fishing every day it don't rain and some days when it does :lol:

Tigers, it won't be easy but hang in there!

Dirty politics and money always go hand in hand in Smithville or should I say crapville (I couldn't say the other word)! It is enough to drive me crazy and I would pull out the rest of my hair but there ain't much of it left!

I tried to call ELA to get him back here but he has accepted a job somewhere out of state. I guess we will have to settle for whoever applies! Maybe we can beat poor Smith County and the freshman head coach but I doubt it!

We need someone with a lot of coaching experience who has had success in his career and the only man in town who fits that description is retired and fishing every day it don't rain and some days when it does  :lol:

Tigers, it won't be easy but hang in there!

825704197[/snapback]

You mean Macon County...not Smith County...you don't play us.

I'm friends with some of the players from DeKalb. One rumored that Brad Hendrix "might" take over. Then he quoted "a lot pf players would quit [if he was coach]" and that "he isn't a very popular coach." I heard some bad tales about him, not from the players, but random people. I don't know what they are going to do. All I got to say is, good luck.