Offense or Defense or Special Teams

lilromane

If you don't let'em score, you win.

All three are important, but a team must take on a coaches personality. If the coach is more defense oriented or offense oriented, then that is what his team will be better at.

Special teams play can turn around a game quicker than a hiccup. Better be decent to good at all three.

bbs

Being an offensive minded coach, I would love to say offense, but I can't. I saw my defense shut down 4 teams in a row last season. Had they not done that, we might now have won two of the games, because we only scored 8 in one game and 14 in the other.

My special teams held up their end of the game last season too.

I would probably say defense then special teams, as much as it hurts me to say that! :)

At the high school level, having kickers and punters who have extraordinary range and accuracy really change the formula of how games are played. Case in point would be the years that BA had Kody Bliss and John Vaughn.

All kickoffs to the opposing team entered the endzone so every drive started at the twenty after a score. It is hard to drive the ball 80 yards every time. Even when BA drives would stall, or your defense would bottle them up deep and they had to punt, field position would flip dramatically to almost a mirror image going the other way.

What also became a factor was the pressure it put on your defense and kicking game. You constantly gave BA good field position, and once they crossed the fifty, they were in range. Your defense was on edge with very slim margin for error. If you gave up points, no matter how good your offense, you were in a hole.

BA didn't have the best offense or defense-but they didn't have to. Bliss and Vaughn gave them points and short fields to work.

Defense wins championships, but it makes it a lot easier to play defense when you're defending 80+ yards every time.

Edited by fromthetop2

It's gotta be defense! The object of the game is to see who can score the most points in 4 quarters! If you have a great defense, and you don't allow the other team to score, then you win the game, whether you have great offense or not! With that great defense shutting the other team out, all you need is a field goal or even a saftey to win the game! So therefore, DEFENSE wins game! thumb